Entertainment - what actually happened

So sorry to hear the broadway type shows will be discontinued...we looked forward to them on each trip ...saw beetlejuice last november and were surprised at how elaborate the presentation was and how many people were involved in the production...  Six was much simpler with less performers...surely there are compromises in the type of productions they can offer. Jersey Boys had less people in the cast.   On the other hand the tv quiz shows seem to be a rip off...big  money to play like they charge for bingo but I guess it's all about taking in extra money...I think the "broadway shows" brings in passengers. 

On 6/25/2024 at 2:13 AM, AlmiranteChurruca said:

Hate to be the one to lower your expectations, but I fear you may be disappointed with entertainment on the Jade. Do not get me wrong, I love NCL's smaller ships (been on some of them) and Jade is actually my all time favourite having sailed on it four times. I have always felt that while the vessel itself is a lovely lady regarding size and layout, the entertainment on hear has never been the best you can find on the seas. As mentioned, things are changing right now and I have no idea about how they will be on your itinerary. Until now it was Blazing Boots (gone from what I have heard) and Elements (soon to go also from what I have heard). The rest have always been guest performers (comedians, magicians, musicians) which can be hit or miss. So, I hope you enjoy being on that lady as much as I have, but my expectations regarding entertainment would not be too high.

I am going to be on the Jade with b2b cruises in September. Elements is a pretty good show. I hope it is still there when I go.

On 6/25/2024 at 8:43 PM, ColdCruise said:

Not quite true - some if the ships have lost their Broadway style shows months ago. The Sky did not have any on a 2 week Caribbean cruise in Feb/Mar, or the 2-3 iterations before we boarded her. During the behind the scenes Platinum+ tour, the theater manager or tour guide stated we were lucky as they had multiple guest performers but that shorter cruises might only get 1 guest performer, the two in house made up musical competition & Icon shows and game shows as fillers.

on Star next month, waiting to see what the entertainment is - app lists 2 game shows (deal & wheel), “Band on the Run” (seems like a 70s-era music variety show) and something called “Paradis” (no “e”) about “Bohemian Parisian culture”.  Anyone seen those last two?

Good gravy!  "Band on the Run" was the production show back when the Star was sailing out of Hawaii and Los Angeles in the 2000's!  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jingle5616 said:

Good gravy!  "Band on the Run" was the production show back when the Star was sailing out of Hawaii and Los Angeles in the 2000's!  

At least it seems that there is some liberty to make changes in it. I have seen it twice, different ships and about 6 months beween them. Although similar, not identical. It seems that they try to take advantage of special strenghts of cast members. But still, that's a long time to run a show!

On 6/23/2024 at 1:31 PM, BirdTravels said:

It was not a significant cutback. They have been trying to evolve their entertainment for the contemporary cruiser. The old Broadway shows like Kinky Boots and Pricilla had low attendance and were not appealing to the millennials and gen x'ers that will sustain the cruise line into the future. 

We see endless posts about Broadway shows on Cruise Critic about "I don't bother going, not of any interest to me". "It was bad and I was fast asleep after the intro". "I went to this SIX show and it was just 6 gals standing on an empty stage incessantly chanting about how they died,,, I walked out after 10 minute of that nonsense". 

Don't get me wrong. I am old. I have had a subscription to our local theater and go to see shows multiple times a year. But,,,, I am old. And you look at the demographic in our local theater and in the Broadway shows on the ship, and it is for the old. 

Yup,,,, it is a significant cost savings to replace a show with a cast of 20 singers and dancers plus production crew with the cruise director hosting a game show. Historically, there is a big demand for game shows on any cruise line. 

That being said, I have been to 4 Price is Right, 2 Press Your Luck, and 3 Wheel of Fortune shows on NCL (replacement to production shows) and, while they had decent attendance, they definitely did not fill a 600 or 800 seat theater. We have attended the Price is Right on land recently and they filled a large theater at $100 a seat (we got complimentary seats from the hotel). 

So,,, while I would like to see more Broadway shows,,, I don't think that having a Broadway show would really be appealing to the demographic of passengers that NCL is targeting. I am resolved that I am not in the demographic that NCL is targeting and that I will keep cruising regardless of what is showing on the ship. So,,, I think that I'll be sitting yelling "HIGHER" and "LOWER" at while contestants on The Price is Right make poor decisions for the foreseeable future. 

Bird is not telling the truth and is very wide of the mark 

NCL have openly admitted the shows areare a cutback and it has ben in the shareholders meetings. 

He has no evidence of how popular the shows are - he may cruise al ot but he is not on every cruise. Reports on CC are a waste of time

He makes a call as to what NCL are targeting - he does notr know who they are targeting. They want all sorts as they are for a family and for oldeies you can go to HAL or Princess. 

Beetlejuiceon the Viva I agree with him is a disaster

NCL is going down the tubes since Mr Stuart left and that coming from an Ambasdour guest

Oh by the way I M NOT OLD!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2024 at 1:26 AM, JShades said:

Just got off the Breakaway and Syd Normans made the cruise. We went every night they played  and were happy to wait an hour for a good seat given the quality of the entertainment.  Burn the Floor started with one good number "reinventing ballroom dancing" and then did average ballroom dancing for 45 minutes; not my cup of tea, and not the headliner show they make it to be.  The Spiegel tent 80's Broadway show was sold out so no chance to give it a try. Deal or No deal and Wheel of Fortune are audience participation games, and focus on moneymakers for them rather than real entertainment. Check out other posts on what the prizes actually are.

Sorry didn't mean this to be a bad review, but in my opinion the entertainment fell far short of the other 9 cruises I've been on. I can't say enough good things about Syd Normans though.  We had a great cruise and were entertained - entirely due to this group of entertainers.

Just off the GA and Syd Normans rocks !!!

7 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You are not old and hate Broadway. Case closed. 

We are old and loved Beetlejuice.  

Not closed where did I say I hate Broadway. 

You talk as if you know everything and you simply do not.BJ is actually not being renewed and will be withdrawn early from the Viva a bit like Junnk was from the Getaway

• Thanks 1

I think there’s some broader misunderstanding for what their strategy is on this one. Broadway “like” productions are not going away, major licensed productions are being unwound. Even after all these cuts NCL has 5 licensed musicals and RCL has 6. Wizard of Oz is an in house RCL production in actuality. We are gearing up for more of that from both operator and less “Hamilton at Sea”.

Why? Because the licensed productions often have dedicated cast who don’t really do anything for the entire cruise and take up revenue rooms. The goal is not to axe their core cast, it’s to actually give them more productions to do. Much like Celebrity Edge where there were four discrete in house productions (singing, dancing types) the core cast performed over a 10 day cruise.

Where NCL deserves all the blame is having axed them all without replacements ready and thinking they could get away with Wheel as a temporary stop gap through 2026. Which is again nothing like Price is Right or Press your luck, both of which have quality production and are free. It has completely backfired. Even the dustiest of the removed entertainment were better. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BrianLo said:

Why? Because the licensed productions often have dedicated cast who don’t really do anything for the entire cruise and take up revenue rooms. The goal is not to axe their core cast, it’s to actually give them more productions to do. Much like Celebrity Edge where there were four discrete in house productions (singing, dancing types) the core cast performed over a 10 day cruise.

I agree with most of your points except this one. I had been on ships in the past on which production cast members ( like dancers) have helped during the Art Auction (NCL). On RCI this year, I was on a ship in which one of the main singers was helping people with the internet that day. I made a mistake because I told him that he looked like one of the singers of the production cast and he told me that he was.🥵

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Viajera7 said:

I agree with most of your points except this one. I had been on ships in the past on which production cast members ( like dancers) have helped during the Art Auction (NCL). On RCI this year, I was on a ship in which one of the main singers was helping people with the internet that day. I made a mistake because I told him that he looked like one of the singers of the production cast and he told me that he was.🥵

I definitely shouldn't say they all do 'nothing', though the separately casted broadway casts I don't think are the same as their NCL contracted singers and dancers, that are usually given some other roles. Particularly on turn over days.

Someone else may know officially if there is a distinction.

17 minutes ago, BrianLo said:

I definitely shouldn't say they all do 'nothing', though the separately casted broadway casts I don't think are the same as their NCL contracted singers and dancers, that are usually given some other roles. Particularly on turn over days.

On the Prima last year a couple of the cast members from the Donna Summer show also participated in The Price is Right.  The Price is Right is the only one of the game shows that I’ve enjoyed.

1 hour ago, stinkyharriet said:

On the Prima last year a couple of the cast members from the Donna Summer show also participated in The Price is Right.  The Price is Right is the only one of the game shows that I’ve enjoyed.

Now I remember a similar situation on the Press Your Luck audition on the Viva last December.

3 hours ago, Viajera7 said:

The Parke West Art team pays crew members to help them during auctions, it is away the crew members can earn extra money above their NCL pay. Often members of the entertainment venues such as production crew are assisting because they are available during daytime or when their shows are not scheduled for that day.

@stinkyharriet I remember seeing those performers helping with the art auction. On our 11 day transatlantic they only performed 2 days, so plenty of down time.

Edited by ColdCruise
  • Like 2