NCL air to Athens

I am aware of all of the pros and cons of having NCL book our flights.  I am looking for specifics about flights from the west coast to Athens round trip next summer.  Looking for routes to Athens and how many layovers.  It appears right now for this summer many of the flights home have an early departure time which won't work with disembarkation from the cruise ship.  What happens then?  Do they book you on a later flight with an 6-8 hour layover somewhere?  Or do you spend the night at a hotel of their choice and fly home early the next day?

Might it be better to ask for a 1 day deviation coming home too?  We already have a 2 day deviation flying to Athens.

Thoughts from those of you who have traveled from the west coast to Athens would be appreciated.  Thanks

NCL used KLM for me. Only one stop in each direction. When i flew back, it was an early flight the day after the cruise (i asked for a one day deviation). I flew home from rome though, not athens. 

I've been amazed at how they get me home from Europe to my tiny airport on the west coast. Routes that I was never able to find on my own, partially because they can link flights that involve multiple airlines.

Will they pay for a hotel - no. Will you have a 6-8 hour layover somewhere - probably not, their guidelines say no.

when we flew back from Athens to Los Angles;

First leg was Avelo ( Think that was the name) Airlines.  Had to pay for checked bag AND pay for carry on. Only a personal item was allowed inside cabin if you didn't pay.  Had a 1-2 hour layover in Heathrow ( enough time to grab Fish and Chips in a bar

Second leg was British Airways, non-stop to Los Angeles. Paid to upgrade to more comfortable seats.

4 hours ago, hoopslover said:

I am aware of all of the pros and cons of having NCL book our flights.  I am looking for specifics about flights from the west coast to Athens round trip next summer.  Looking for routes to Athens and how many layovers.  It appears right now for this summer many of the flights home have an early departure time which won't work with disembarkation from the cruise ship.  What happens then?  Do they book you on a later flight with an 6-8 hour layover somewhere?  Or do you spend the night at a hotel of their choice and fly home early the next day?

Might it be better to ask for a 1 day deviation coming home too?  We already have a 2 day deviation flying to Athens.

Thoughts from those of you who have traveled from the west coast to Athens would be appreciated.  Thanks

We are sailing in September. Leaving LAX on 8-29 {2 days deviation both way} We are very happy with the flights and the cost savings. Our flights would have cost $1286 each but we used the NCL buy one promo for a total of $1608. Booking states United but they are codeshare. LAX-Munich-Athens on Lufthansa with 1.5 hours layover. Return on Air Canada Athens-Montreal-LAX 2.75 hour layover. We are booked in Economy (not basic or lite economy) and have 1 checked bag included. We will have to pay to choose seats

17 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

when we flew back from Athens to Los Angles;

First leg was Avelo ( Think that was the name) Airlines.  Had to pay for checked bag AND pay for carry on. Only a personal item was allowed inside cabin if you didn't pay.  Had a 1-2 hour layover in Heathrow ( enough time to grab Fish and Chips in a bar

Second leg was British Airways, non-stop to Los Angeles. Paid to upgrade to more comfortable seats.

my mistake, the first leg of Athens-LAX was on Agean Air, not Avelo.  

22 hours ago, hoopslover said:

Do they book you on a later flight with an 6-8 hour layover somewhere? 

Just be aware that short layovers can be a problem too.    If you go to one of the non-airline travel sites, I am amazed that they will combine flights that have a 45 min. layover in a big airport like Amsterdam or Frankfurt after your transatlantic flight.   No way I would want that.  I always book our own flights, mostly because I want to control my layovers.    

Good luck... enjoy your trip planning...

We are on a cruise out of Athens this September.

• Thanks 1

We are flying to Athens from the east coast in August and booked with NCL air promo.  However, we ended up adding a deviation on the end due to our arrival in Venice (Trieste) because they had us departing at 11am and there was no way we would make that flight.  Even talking to the Air rep at NCL he said it fell within their timetable for that flight.  They would not look at any other flight for a later departure that day so we ended up having to change and depart the next day.  Seems very little common sense with the flight program when pointing out an obvious time issue.  They won't budge.  We shall see how it goes.  Hoping for no snags.