Iona Norway 29th June help

Tonechamp

Hi as per the thread title I'm off on my first solo p&o cruise Saturday but need a bit of help and advice 

Firstly is it worth booking in advance for the loen skylift or just turn up as I've read that it can be foggy and overcast regardless of time of year 

And if possible I'd like to see how it is on the day 

Rather than spend money on something I can't see as I'm on a bit of a budget 🙂

And also is there a limit on how much soft drinks I can bring onboard from Southampton 

I'm a bit annoyed that they changed the rules in may in regards to bringing spirits but not much I can do 

Thanks for any help 

23 minutes ago, Tonechamp said:

Hi as per the thread title I'm off on my first solo p&o cruise Saturday but need a bit of help and advice 

Firstly is it worth booking in advance for the loen skylift or just turn up as I've read that it can be foggy and overcast regardless of time of year 

And also is there a limit on how much soft drinks I can bring onboard from Southampton 

I'm a bit annoyed that they changed the rules in may in regards to bringing spirits but not much I can do 

Thanks for any help 

As far as I am aware you can walk off the ship and there is a booth that sells tickets for the skylift and bus transfer. You can therefore wait to see what the weather looks like. However if the weather is nice it will be busy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies 

I'm ok with waiting for a while if necessary 

Hopefully they won't run out of space so I'll be there early (weather permitting) as it's the main thing I want to see 

I'll pack a couple of bottles of soft drink as that'll save some money 🙂👍

3 hours ago, Tonechamp said:

Thanks for any help 

Even if it is foggy, I wouldn't let necessarily let it put you off. I booked the P&O excursion at the end of May and so couldn't cancel when it was completely foggy but the fog did clear quickly and I was able to get some incredible views. The fog tended to roll in and out all the time I was up there. Hopefully, the time lapse will play and I've added a couple of photos I got from the top - not that they really do it justice. 

Not a perfect experience but certainly still worthwhile. 

IMG_2042.HEIC IMG_2038.HEIC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had the same reservations about the Loen sky lift.

We got off the ship early, straight into the booth, just under £60 pp, on first bus, a good few hours with lovely clear skies and on way back down before the rain came in and the big queues formed. 

It was so easy to do. 

Andy 

• Like 3

Do not book the skylift.  As others have said wait untill you arrive then go to the ticket booth on the quayside. If the weather is foggy or low cloud dont bother its a waste of money.  We did it last june and it was sunny and great view views but I have friends that went up another day and they said it was foggy and couldnt see a thing and wish they hadnt spent all that money to see nothing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the replies it's much appreciated 

I will not pre book the skylift and just get a ticket on the day 🙂 

I have been contemplating taking a small bottle of spirits on board and risk it being confiscated and having a telling off but not sure yet 

Also I've read different comments that there is a dartboard on the ship but I haven't seen on any videos I've watched can anyone confirm 

Thanks 

I’d risk the spirits at embarkation if you don’t take too much. At ports, you are supposed to hand in any purchases but there was no ‘honesty table’, in fact no table or steward anywhere. 
You run the risk, of course, but it seems they are more interested in other security items. I once had a pair of small ikea scissors confiscated from my hand luggage. 

• Thanks 1

I doubt the Mitie staff will care at Southampton unless they have been incentivised by Carnival. But I guess they're contracted by ABP who also shouldn't care.

All the ports on the 15th June Iona Norway cruise were "on-ship" security ports, so I guess those are more likely to be problematic because they are the P&O security officers. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, wetterthanwater said:

All the ports on the 15th June Iona Norway cruise were "on-ship" security ports, so I guess those are more likely to be problematic because they are the P&O security officers. 

It would work out far far cheaper buying your spirits from room service than buying in Norway and smuggling them in!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Tonechamp said:

Thanks for all the replies it's much appreciated 

I will not pre book the skylift and just get a ticket on the day 🙂 

I have been contemplating taking a small bottle of spirits on board and risk it being confiscated and having a telling off but not sure yet 

Also I've read different comments that there is a dartboard on the ship but I haven't seen on any videos I've watched can anyone confirm 

Thanks 

Buy a bottle of your favourite tipple,but a non alcoholic version. Dump the contents,and refill bottle with the proper stuff. Sorted. I don’t imagine P and O will have a chemist analysing the alcoholic content of any drinks brought on board 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Well boy 91 said:

Buy a bottle of your favourite tipple,but a non alcoholic version. Dump the contents,and refill bottle with the proper stuff. Sorted. I don’t imagine P and O will have a chemist analysing the alcoholic content of any drinks brought on board 

That is quite a selfish attitude. The reason P&O introduced the new policy was because people were abusing the old policy. If people continue to abuse the new one P&O could end up banning any drinks, including soft drinks and bottles of water being brought on board, thereby ruining this for those who comply. The drink prices on board are very reasonable and if you can't manage without your favourite tipple for a while then don't cruise with P&O and don't risk spoiling it for others.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Well boy 91 said:

If the intention of this alcohol limit is to encourage passengers to pay for pre dinner drinks in a ships bar, then I guess they would also want to stop you drinking non alcoholic ones.

To be honest I Don't drink loads anyway but I'll have one while reading a book before going out 

And I think the packages are expensive compared to ncl 

Which was £250 and included two free meals in a restaurant and was for 10 days

Currently ncl aren't going to Norway so thought I'd try p&o 

But I'll be doing PAYG🙂

13 hours ago, Well boy 91 said:

Oh dear. I hope you like cruising on lines not owned by Carnival.

Have you not seen the recent story of the woman on a Carnival ship who published on one of her social media accounts about her "hack to save $4.99 on board ship"? This involved opening the bottles of water in the cabin fridge, drinking the contents then refilling the bottles with tap water and resealing with glue that she had taken with her. She then left the bottles in the fridge for the next occupant.

The result.... Carnival traced her through her social media account and she is now banned for life from all cruise lines/ships owned by Carnival

If room service have the spirits you like then it’s best to go with that and be legit. I think a litre of Bombay sapphire on our recent Arvia cruise was £28 which is reasonable compared to supermarkets. Beware of the £2.50 delivery charge although last time I ordered this way they didn’t charge me. 
You can take your own mixers 

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone. I made a somewhat flippant remark(to me anyway)about what the OP could do to save money with a bottle of something in cabin. Next thing I know I’m being labelled as chief alcohol smuggler 😆😆. If you took it the wrong way,I can only apologise. When I cruise again,I will avail myself of a bottle of Golden rum which is only available on board anyway. 
And if Carnival wish to trace me,then they will find a dull man,doing a dull job in a dull part of the country . 
Happy cruising 😎

• Like 1

On 6/26/2024 at 8:47 AM, Devon born and bred said:

That is quite a selfish attitude. The reason P&O introduced the new policy was because people were abusing the old policy. If people continue to abuse the new one P&O could end up banning any drinks, including soft drinks and bottles of water being brought on board, thereby ruining this for those who comply. The drink prices on board are very reasonable and if you can't manage without your favourite tipple for a while then don't cruise with P&O and don't risk spoiling it for others.

But why is it ok for people to take on their entire trips worth of cola, and not a bottle of spirits when they make the most profit on the cola?

Because they want to sell drinks packages to BOTH cabin occupants.

I dont get told I cant take a bottle to a hotel stay....its no different.

And so many times, they run out of favourite drinks.

12 hours ago, crimson moon said:

Oh dear. I hope you like cruising on lines not owned by Carnival.

Have you not seen the recent story of the woman on a Carnival ship who published on one of her social media accounts about her "hack to save $4.99 on board ship"? This involved opening the bottles of water in the cabin fridge, drinking the contents then refilling the bottles with tap water and resealing with glue that she had taken with her. She then left the bottles in the fridge for the next occupant.

The result.... Carnival traced her through her social media account and she is now banned for life from all cruise lines/ships owned by Carnival

And dont you understand the difference?

She was showing people how to STEAL from the company, and in doing so can contaminate the water and put peoples lives at risk.

Big difference

23 minutes ago, LittleTinker said:

I dont get told I cant take a bottle to a hotel stay....its no different.

Depends where you are travelling.  It is very common in some European countries to say only food and drink provided or purchased in the hotel may be consumed on hotel premises.  

The policy started in common package holiday destinations to help hotels with the problem of fake claims of food poisoning but has expanded quite a lot since the pandemic.  If you read enough reviews you'll find even things like a bag of crisps given to your child have caused problems.

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Depends where you are travelling.  It is very common in some European countries to say only food and drink provided or purchased in the hotel may be consumed on hotel premises.  

The policy started in common package holiday destinations to help hotels with the problem of fake claims of food poisoning but has expanded quite a lot since the pandemic.  If you read enough reviews you'll find even things like a bag of crisps given to your child have caused problems.

I have never stayed nor heard of a single hotel anywhere....never mind Europe....searching my bag or asking for alcohol to be handed in until checkout.

Sure....they don't want people going to the restaurant with their own alcohol which is understandable.....but never have they confiscated bottles on the door.

I don't know what food poisoning has got to do with alcohol being taken from us.