Is there a way around the increasing cost of travel insurance as one gets older?

I have been over 70 for a while now, and DW turned 70 earlier this year (actually had her birthday while we were on a river cruise). Yes, I realize we could buy travel insurance from the cruise lines, but the medical coverage seems not to be adequate, and we basically buy the insurance for the medical coverage.

If it makes a difference, we have in the past mostly used Travel Guard. 

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I have been over 70 for a while now, and DW turned 70 earlier this year (actually had her birthday while we were on a river cruise). Yes, I realize we could buy travel insurance from the cruise lines, but the medical coverage seems not to be adequate, and we basically buy the insurance for the medical coverage.

If it makes a difference, we have in the past mostly used Travel Guard. 

Hi ontheweb,

You can lower the cost of a Trip Cancellation plan but there are drawbacks. The only legal ways to lower the cost of the insurance are to:

• Get a more stripped-down plan (but you give up important coverages),
  • Move to a different State that's not Virginia or Washington (but's it not always worth moving) or
  • Take less expensive trips

Steve Dasseos

18 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Steve you said

You can lower the cost of a Trip Cancellation plan but there are drawbacks, what are the draw backs ?  and is there a big  difference in cost between   30k  50k  75k

Hi Gail & Marty,

These are the drawback:

- Get a more stripped-down plan (but you give up important coverages),

- Move to a different State that's not Virginia or Washington (but's it not always worth moving) or

- Take less expensive trips

As for the difference in the prices for large trip costs, if the trip length is a lot more than 31 days long, then the relative price of a policy has less of a price differential as the trip cost increase versus a trip of less than 31 days long.

Steve Dasseos