Santorini Alternative to Cable Car

I have read on this board about an alternative to the cable car - the boat that is a one-way transfer to Amoudi Bay (below Oia). I have 2 questions: (1) Do you have to buy tickets ahead of time (the website indicates that online purchases for late August are not available)?; and (2) What is the cost for the boat transfer? Any information would be most appreciated. Thank you.

2 hours ago, Connecticutcruiser said:

I have read on this board about an alternative to the cable car - the boat that is a one-way transfer to Amoudi Bay (below Oia). I have 2 questions: (1) Do you have to buy tickets ahead of time (the website indicates that online purchases for late August are not available)?; and (2) What is the cost for the boat transfer? Any information would be most appreciated. Thank you.

The last time we were on the island the boat to Oia cost 30 Euros.  Understand that for that price you get the boat transfer from Giolos (the tiny port below Fira) to Oia,  Once you arrive at the small dock below Oia, you are provided with a vehicle transfer up the road to Oia.  This trip also includes a return bus, from Oia to Fira.  

This boat/transfer is a private venture and does not run on a fixed schedule.  When you get off the tender, you just look for the signs along the pier, buy your ticket.  There is never a guarantee that they are even operating, and you can wait a long time since they usually don't leave the pier until their boat is full.  We do not see any reason to buy tickets in advance.  My suggestion is that before you do buy a ticket it is wise to ask when they will be leaving (and hope they tell you the truth).  

Hank

We were just there and you just purchase tickets at the dock when you arrive. I had emailed the company and they indicated no need to make reservation. Once in Opa even with the shuttle there still is a steep climb to the bus. Also definitely do the boat or a ships tour that drops you at other pier where buses are waiting. At least 2 hour wait for cable cars. We were on NCL Getwawy and they were still calling tender numbers 4 hours after anchoring. It was a mess! 

On 7/1/2024 at 6:49 AM, realnice46 said:

We were just there and you just purchase tickets at the dock when you arrive. I had emailed the company and they indicated no need to make reservation. Once in Opa even with the shuttle there still is a steep climb to the bus. Also definitely do the boat or a ships tour that drops you at other pier where buses are waiting. At least 2 hour wait for cable cars. We were on NCL Getwawy and they were still calling tender numbers 4 hours after anchoring. It was a mess! 

One poor guy got a late ticket # and didn't get into the port until 5:00pm.

And then still had to take the cable car up.