Dumbing Down & Dressing Down: The New Cunard?

5 hours ago, CPs4591 said:

Sorry what is the luggage forward?  Haven’t gone through their entire website yet.  Thanks

Luggage Forward is the actual name of the shipping company Cunard is partnered with.

luggageforward.com

You can use the link on the Cunard pages or go directly to the LF website. We've used them multiple times, with great satisfaction. Not cheap, but definitely worth it, for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RalphWiggum said:

At the risk of being longwinded, the next year I took both a Cunard WB and EB so was able to pack an extra bag that I left with Cunard, with very simple cocktail dresses. (I confess I really don’t care to wear an evening gown unless it’s an important event).  At the first formal night, one lady at my table, who was in her late thirties, had her hair and makeup done at the beauty salon that day, and was wearing a beautiful satin red gown with a full skirt.  She looked beautiful but felt uncomfortable, because very few people were that fully dressed up.  And she picked her outfits based on Cunard photos on their website.  

Sad that the woman felt uncomfortable. I hope you all tried to reassure her. I bet a lot of people saw her and thought "wow! Doesn't she look great!!!" 

As for your bargain beach dress, that's the beauty of a black dress. Dress it up with good accessories and nobody pays much attention to the dress because it's just a backdrop for the bling.

9 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Sad that the woman felt uncomfortable. I hope you all tried to reassure her. I bet a lot of people saw her and thought "wow! Doesn't she look great!!!" 

As for your bargain beach dress, that's the beauty of a black dress. Dress it up with good accessories and nobody pays much attention to the dress because it's just a backdrop for the bling.

Quite honestly, unless you look spectacular enough to attract admiring glances, as, I suspect, the person in the previous post did, or inappropriate enough, say shorts and sweaty T shirt, to attract the opposite, I think people mainly won’t notice or remember what you are wearing. It means you can wear the same dress several times.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Dressing down? How about this. I am just off the 400th sailing at the CAPTAIN'S COCKTAIL PARTY a guy was wearing SHORTS. I kid you all not.

Why are they dumbing it down like this?

Usually there are staff to greet you as you enter one of the parties and, one would hope, refuse to let in someone so inappropriately dressed. How did this guy sneak in?

11 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Usually there are staff to greet you as you enter one of the parties and, one would hope, refuse to let in someone so inappropriately dressed. How did this guy sneak in?

No idea but he did. I couldn't believe my eyes

6 hours ago, ace2542 said:

No idea but he did. I couldn't believe my eyes

If the Captain’s party was before 6pm, that person wearing shorts was abiding by the Cunard Daytime Dress Code and technically did nothing wrong. That daytime dress code goes for Afternoon Tea too where I’ve seen pax in hoodies and work out t-shirts -  these too meet the daytime dress code. Hoodies and white glove service however creates an odd combo.
Are big city hotel Afternoon Teas, costing $60-80, also welcoming guests with hoodies and work out shirts?
I agree with you, if I’m invited to meet the captain or attend a WC reception I wouldn’t wear shorts, but Cunard says shorts are ok if that event is before 6pm. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This evening a "gentleman" was denied access to the Queen's Grill on QV as it was a formal night and he was not wearing a jacket - he even had his dress shirt outside of his trousers; He soon returned wearing a light coloured sports coat which was then placed over the back of his chair making the whole process somewhat pointless,

In formal scenarios jackets are worn until the most senior person present announces "relax jackets"

Edited by david63
  • Like 3