Price trends for P&O cruises over time?

Snuffly22

Hi there. I booked a solo summer 2026 P&O cruise as soon as the dates were released. I chose an inside cabin for price reasons but I've been thinking that I would like an outside cabin if possible. I know about the auction process for upgrades, and I'll try that if necessary nearer the time. However, I did wonder if there might be times over the next couple of years (during sales, for example) when the prices might temporarily drop sufficiently to bring the cost of an outside cabin low enough that it wouldn't be too expensive for me to upgrade at that point. Is this something which might potentially happen, based on people's previous experience of price variations?

9 minutes ago, Snuffly22 said:

Hi there. I booked a solo summer 2026 P&O cruise as soon as the dates were released. I chose an inside cabin for price reasons but I've been thinking that I would like an outside cabin if possible. I know about the auction process for upgrades, and I'll try that if necessary nearer the time. However, I did wonder if there might be times over the next couple of years (during sales, for example) when the prices might temporarily drop sufficiently to bring the cost of an outside cabin low enough that it wouldn't be too expensive for me to upgrade at that point. Is this something which might potentially happen, based on people's previous experience of price variations?

If you want a higher cabin at a lower price than your existing inside you would have to cancel and rebook and lose your deposit. I doubt very much that these circumstances would make it viable for you.

I would think your best chance is to get a good deal on upgrades but you would have to wait and see.

Hi... If you want to upgrade your cabin you will pay the price that the upgraded cabin was at the time of your original booking, not the current advertised price. 

If you want the current advertised price you would have to cancel and rebook as Gettingwarmer said.. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Snuffly22 said:

Hi there. No, it doesn't need to be cheaper - either the same price or a moderate price increase would be fine.

If your fare is select you are allowed one change but it would have to be a different cruise.

Your price on whatever fare is locked in to that date, ie the cost of an outside cabin on the exact same day you booked your inside one.  Unfortunately any price drops are not going to be relevant to your booking.  

Therefore as an example:

You booked

Day 1 Inside is £1,000 Outside is £1,500

One year later Inside is on sale at £900 Outside is on sale at £1,200

If you called to change you would still have to pay £1,500 for an outside. 

Your 15% deposit on your inside is £150. You could either cancel your cruise and lose the deposit and rebook an outside for £1,200 thereby paying a total of £1350 or if it's a select fare move it to another cruise which is you say only has to be 1p dearer to be transferable.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Snuffly22 said:

Ah right, thanks very much for explaining that folks, I did not realise that was the case so that's useful info. 

You're welcome.  Sometimes the price drops are huge so the cancellation option saves money. We saved £1,000 on a Caribbean cruise last year by moving our deposit to another cruise and rebooking. Definitely keep you eye on prices just in case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

You're welcome.  Sometimes the price drops are huge so the cancellation option saves money. We saved £1,000 on a Caribbean cruise last year by moving our deposit to another cruise and rebooking. Definitely keep you eye on prices just in case.

Yes I will, thank you.

• Like 1

I tend to disagree with regards to cancelling and re booking not being viable. Keep a regular eye on prices. Note what the cost is now for an Sea View or balcony and then regularly visit the P&O website for price updates.Not that many moons ago I had an inside cabin booked and whilst I appreciate you want something better I saw that the price had reduced significantly. So I contacted P&O and was told I would have to cancel, lose my deposit and re book and that there was a chance that whilst on the phone the cabin I had originally booked might be sold. However it wasn't so I got the same cabin, lost my deposit and still saved £800. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I tend to disagree with regards to cancelling and re booking not being viable. Keep a regular eye on prices. Note what the cost is now for an Sea View or balcony and then regularly visit the P&O website for price updates.Not that many moons ago I had an inside cabin booked and whilst I appreciate you want something better I saw that the price had reduced significantly. So I contacted P&O and was told I would have to cancel, lose my deposit and re book and that there was a chance that whilst on the phone the cabin I had originally booked might be sold. However it wasn't so I got the same cabin, lost my deposit and still saved £800. 

Interesting, thanks for letting me know. I will monitor prices as you suggest. Losing a deposit would be regrettable, but if the saving to be made by rebooking is a lot more, it could well be worth it.

4 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

A good TA will ensure that you dont lose your original cabin in these circumstances.

2 hours ago, Snuffly22 said:

Interesting, thanks for letting me know. I will monitor prices as you suggest. Losing a deposit would be regrettable, but if the saving to be made by rebooking is a lot more, it could well be worth it.

Please let us know how you get on either way as it is helpful for other people to gauge the situation. 

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Please let us know how you get on either way as it is helpful for other people to gauge the situation. 

Yes sure, though I imagine it'll be a while before prices drop enough to make any change worthwhile. Currently the cabin type I have costs about £300 more than when I booked, which was at early bird prices. I think it will only be if they have a sale that prices may drop enough to generate options.

• Thanks 1