Dress code

Jgrossman

On 7/3/2024 at 6:05 AM, Mahogany said:

I don't think anyone is "being angry towards considerate people", Jeff. But most people when considering a new cruise line (to them) visit the website to check itineraries and destinations. On Silversea's website there are FAQ and General Cruise Information and Guidelines. They discuss the dress code there, and you don't even have to set up an account. Doesn't it make sense to read this rather than the myriad of responses you get from Cruise Critic posters?

We didn't know anything about SS when we booked - we just liked the itinerary it was offering for Greenland.  We saw photos of people looking like they were excited about going on an adventure.

My experience on here is that people try to dictate what people should/shouldn't wear.  A friend has recently returned from an Endeavour cruise and said "I saw no bling, no ties and no jackets".  So, I guess there is a big difference between expedition cruises and classic cruises.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AusMum said:

We didn't know anything about SS when we booked - we just liked the itinerary it was offering for Greenland.  We saw photos of people looking like they were excited about going on an adventure.

My experience on here is that people try to dictate what people should/shouldn't wear.  A friend has recently returned from an Endeavour cruise and said "I saw no bling, no ties and no jackets".  So, I guess there is a big difference between expedition cruises and classic cruises.

I think what happens often in a thread  - but I don’t think it intended maliciously as we all do it.  I know that I do and when I realise I have I’m embarrassed and presume therefore others do it unintentionally as well. 

Someone simply writes an innocent well intentioned question. Some have extremely strong feelings about this topic and what triggers a rapid response are keywords like “dress code” and the actual question simply isn’t perhaps fully considered but the question triggers  some people’s general frustrations and feelings and sometimes anger about the topic and other people’s behaviour they have experienced and perhaps without properly reading the question and giving the poster the benefit of any reasonable doubt anger is vented.  Other keywords that does the same is “smoking” or “cigars” or “children”.

This poster did what many sadly don’t.  It was clearly a person who had  understood the stated  dress code and before considering a booking simply wanted to establish how it was currently applied so that they didn’t mischoose with the obvious consequences for compromising their own and others enjoyment of their cruises. It didn’t seem to me anything more sinister or bad than that.  It was six words.

I simply did what sometimes irritates others and felt the need to offer support to the OP who might have felt otherwise wrongly bruised and isolated.  They haven’t sadly returned.  

Bestest all. 

🙂

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

It was clearly a person who had  understood the stated  dress code and before considering a booking simply wanted to establish how it was currently applied so that they didn’t mischoose with the obvious consequences for compromising their own and others enjoyment of their cruises. It didn’t seem to me anything more sinister or bad than that.  It was six words.

Curiously, when I read the same six words, I assumed it was a Seabourn fan (I checked the poster's profile) who knew this was a provocative topic and just wanted to poke the dragon to see if we'd bite.  And boy did we - each other.  

The fact that OP hasn't been back or even posted a reaction seems to confirm this.  OP, my apologies for presumption if that is off the mark.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

Curiously, when I read the same six words, I assumed it was a Seabourn fan (I checked the poster's profile) who knew this was a provocative topic and just wanted to poke the dragon to see if we'd bite.  And boy did we - each other.  

The fact that OP hasn't been back or even posted a reaction seems to confirm this.  OP, my apologies for presumption if that is off the mark.

😞

If you simply look you will notice that the OP is an established CC’er  (2019) but with a low (31) post count. Might they simply be considering SS aa a possible alternative to SB?

Does “poking the dragon” seem to be very likely as you presumed that they posted for the motives you suggest - or are you now going to suggest that they probably have multiple identities?  Why could he not simply ask the question unmolested? 😄

This type of welcome and responses to an irregular poster might well have more likely been the cause of their lack of return mightn’t it.  

Give the guy a break. 🙂

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

I too wondered why the OP hasn't responded to any of the 30 replies. Surely he/she will respond to "poking the dragon".

• Like 2

To add. Also I think SS adds to the confusion by labeling it “Formal Optional” evenings. Sure it’s optional but only if you eat in certain restaurants and besides that stay in your cabin before or after. So calling it optional isn’t very accurate. To each their own but we always enjoy the panorama before dinner. 

p.s.  I’m on now and have no issue with the dress code. 

IMG_0081.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/1/2024 at 6:08 PM, Jgrossman said:

How strict is the dress code

I thought it might be worthwhile to repost the OP statement.

In its entirety.

We are disagreeing about the interpretation of your question, @Jgrossman

Were you asking about the code itself, about changes that may be coming to that written code, about our experiences on board under the present code, or something else?

Although years go by, when I was first considering Silversea for our 1st ever cruise, I received so much help on this board from the people above & others who post elsewhere, and the regrettable few we no longer see, that it pains me to watch them search for the best answer to your post.  Your clarification would be welcomed.

Edited by QueSeraSera
clarity

19 hours ago, gcornell said:

To add. Also I think SS adds to the confusion by labeling it “Formal Optional” evenings. Sure it’s optional but only if you eat in certain restaurants and besides that stay in your cabin before or after. So calling it optional isn’t very accurate. To each their own but we always enjoy the panorama before dinner. 

p.s.  I’m on now and have no issue with the dress code. 

IMG_0081.jpeg

interesting. It looks like they took the old casual/informal/formal code, added an elegant in front of casual and combined informal and formal.  Looks a lot like Celebrity’s casual/evening chic code. (Which they don’t enforce.)