Some questions on HAL

Hi All,

It has been about 5 years since we have cruised with HAL (no fault of theirs 🙂 ).  We will be on a 14 day Western/Tropical Caribbean cruise in Jan. 2025.  In the past we would have called it a "collectors" cruise 🙂 .  I know there have been some changes so I wouldn't mind some updates please.

1. 1.  We have HIA with 2 dining credits (each of course).  I don't' seem to be able to book any dining room reservations (either on the app or website).  I used to be able to book them ahead of time or am I just too early.  Will we still be able to book ahead and when, approximately, will they be open for booking?

2.  According to the Navigator app every night is "smart casual".  According to HAL's website they still do "dressy nights" (which I happen to enjoy).  Do they still do dressy nights?  I'm wondering since the cruise is really 2 7 day cruises sold as one if they don't do dressy nights on a 7 day cruise.  Any thoughts on this?

TIA

Welcome back to HAL!

1.  It's probably just too early.  You'll be able to book them ahead of time -- when will vary from cruise to cruise, but I would expect within the next few months at least.

2.  Navigator always shows "smart casual" until closer to the cruise (or sometimes not until you've boarded).  You will definitely have 3-4 dressy nights.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Welcome back to HAL!

1.  It's probably just too early.  You'll be able to book them ahead of time -- when will vary from cruise to cruise, but I would expect within the next few months at least.

2.  Navigator always shows "smart casual" until closer to the cruise (or sometimes not until you've boarded).  You will definitely have 3-4 dressy nights.

Wonderful.  That helps.  Thanks,

• Like 1

The app will not show you the real dress code until much closer to sailing. Figure on 2 dressy nights per 7 day segment.

Your specialty dining will likely show up to book around 5 months out.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, POA1 said:

The app will not show you the real dress code until much closer to sailing. Figure on 2 dressy nights per 7 day segment.

Your specialty dining will likely show up to book around 5 months out.

thanks.  Will start to check around that time for booking. 

In the past 2 dressy nights per 7 days was normal so glad to see that hasn't changed. 

Thanks,

• Like 1

We are in a similar situation taking a 14 day cruise over New Year that is also sold as two 7-day cruises. Right now we can book dinner over the first 7 days but the second half is still unavailable. The New Year’s Eve reservations are also unavailable. I can’t believe they are sold out so think they are holding for onboard. We had no issue booking NYE 2 years ago and am hoping to do so this time. Any recent experiences?

Bob

26 minutes ago, rwmiller said:

We are in a similar situation taking a 14 day cruise over New Year that is also sold as two 7-day cruises. Right now we can book dinner over the first 7 days but the second half is still unavailable. The New Year’s Eve reservations are also unavailable. I can’t believe they are sold out so think they are holding for onboard. We had no issue booking NYE 2 years ago and am hoping to do so this time. Any recent experiences?

Bob

They do hold some back for booking onboard, though I'm not sure of the percentage (I'd casually heard as many as 50% are held back, but don't know the accuracy). 

If nothing opens up, and you are not in a suite, you can use the very visible dining  reservations desk staff to book the day you board.

If you are in a suite, you can ask the Neptune Lounge concierges to book your dining reservations for you (I know some dining spots are held back from general pre-boarding availability, in part  for short notice suite passengers, and I was told such availability of specialty dining bookings is  part of the suite benefits package). 

Also, depending on the cruise and how full it is , as the cruise goes on (and likely because people feel more stuffed),  you might notice that some specialty restaurants just aren't full, and you can walk up and get a spot then and there (especially for later dining, e.g., seating after 8PM -- but probably not on New Year's Eve !) 

4 hours ago, rwmiller said:

Bob

I don't remember exactly how far out reservations opened, but I was able to book NYE (and Christmas Eve) dining for Dec '23/Jan '24 on K'dam.

• Like 1