Any cruises to Viet Nam?

Jolimont

Yes (Oui) - we have just signed up for one next winter on Oceania (Nautica) for January 6, 2007, which docks for Hanoi and Siagon. The line has several other cruises scheduled with similar itineraries. In both ports the ship is there for two full days, so you have time to see the areas. In Hanoi we are planning to leave the ship and stay "in town" to avoid the long ride from Ha Long Bay and back in one day and maximize our time in the city. The cruise originates in Hong Kong and ends in Singapore with stops in Canton and Bangkok as well (or vise-versa). The time frame in each port differs somewhat depending on the specific cruise you are on. It will be an interesting cruise after "living through the '60s"

Fran (and Jeff)

Julimont:

We are booked on the Sapphire Princess cruise of October 26, 2006.

We will be in Nha Trang from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m.

The following day we will be in Vung Tau from 7 a.m. until 7:30 p.m. This is the gateway to Ho Chi Ming City (formerly Saigon)

Our sailing is sold out, but I understand there are still cabins available for the November Bangkok to Beijing cruise.

It is a 16 day cruise.

Ellis

Thanks for your response emeyers and jrkfrk!

In Hanoi we are planning to leave the ship and stay "in town" to avoid the long ride from Ha Long Bay and back in one day and maximize our time in the city.

Fran (and Jeff)

The Oceania itinerary sounds wonderful. We have an 8yo, do you think this is the kind of cruise that would be appropriate for a well-travelled adventurous child? Also, how did you book that, I'm not finding prices anywhere. A web site maybe? Thanks!

Jolimont

Although we haven't cruised on Oceania before, they advertise as an "adult oriented" line - no specific kid's program, etc. Having said that, I know that kids do occasionly travel on their ships - you might post on the Oceania board and ask others who may have taken pre-teens on their ships. We "signed -up" for the cruise through our travel agent - the cruise line also has an extensive web site which is very helpful - we are also on their mailing list and receive regular mailing. They heavily discount their cruises, so be sure to "shop" for the bast price. Please feel free to e-mail us (jrkfrk at aol dot com) if we can give you any further insight.

Fran (and Jeff)

We are on the Pacific Princess this summer and they also offer stops in Vietnam - two in fact. I don't know if there are any availabilities left,but you can always check. Itinerary includes Bangkok, Malaysia, Singapore, China, South Korea, Japan and, of course, Vietnam.

Charlie

We will be sailing on the Sapphire Princess Nov. 11th from Bangkok to Beijing. Princess has a wonderful program for children. Our cruise is a 17 days. Ports of call are: Bangkok, Singapore, vung Tau (tender required) Nha Trang (both in Vietnam) Hong Kong, Keelung, Okinawa, Nagasaki, Beijing. Hope this info helps, and good luck with your choices.

Regards,

Ethel in Fl:)

I'm on the Aug. 17 Bangkok to Mumbai Pacific Princess sailing and it includes one full day in Phu My, Vietnam (gateway to HCMC/Saigon). The Bangkok-Mumbai or Mumbai-Bangkok itinerary is also the only Princess cruise to include a stop in Cambodia if you were interested in that as well. If you just want more time in Vietnam, though, perhaps one of the other cruises with two or more ports there would be better.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your response emeyers and jrkfrk!

The Oceania itinerary sounds wonderful. We have an 8yo, do you think this is the kind of cruise that would be appropriate for a well-travelled adventurous child? Also, how did you book that, I'm not finding prices anywhere. A web site maybe? Thanks!

I've been on 2 Oceania cruises and jrkfrk is right. It's not a kid oriented line. There were a couple of kids on our cruises and the line does allow them.

If your 8 year old is okay without other kids around and/or any children's activities then it's fine. It really depends on the individual child.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We're going in Sept. on the Clipper Odyssey. They have two cruises, one that goes north-south and then south-north. There is also a trip sponsored by the American Museum of Natural History but I don't remember what ship that is on (their website will say). We wanted that one but they go during the Jewish holidays. So we looked at doing our own itinerary, which ended up mirroring the Clipper tour.

We'll be going to Angkor Wat first and then fly to Saigon for the ship. What I like about the Clipper cruise is that we disembark after Halong Bay and spend two full days in Hanoi at a hotel (no commuting, which given the roads and traffic in VN is supposed to be terrible). I've heard that a day trip from Halong Bay to Hanoi is pretty grueling, lots of time on the bus.

Margaret

I was stationed in Nha Trang in 1967. I have always wanted to go back and see what the city looks like now. I guess the only way would be Saphire Princess. Is this correct?[/SIZE]

Robb

Silverseas does a cruise in Nov 06 with 3 stops in Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh, overnight; Nha Trang; Da Nang, and a day cruising Halong Bay. It's a 12 day cruise from Singapore to Hong-Kong.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been on two cruises that stopped in Nam (Vung Tao, Saigon, and Nha Trang) and I found the country quite interesting. I was in the Vietnam war and stationed (most of the time) in Da Nang. A few years ago we took a lengthy cruise on the Marco Polo because it was one of the first Western cruise ships to actually sail up the Saigon River into the heart of Saigon. My wife and I went off on our own (most took tours) and we walked over to the old US Embassy (it was than the Vietnam Petrolium Co). While my wife posed for a picture in front of the infamous gates, a Vietnamese woman came up to her and ask if she was an American. When my wife responded yes, the woman pointed to the old embassy and said that her government had just returned it to the US. Later that day we found out the US had just normalized relations with Nam and they had returned all of our old diplomatic property. Our 2nd visit was 2 years ago on the Pacific Princess, and we again went off on our own in Nha Trang and Vung Tao (most here took tours to Saigon). Its a fabulous tourist country and we have found most of the Vietnamise to be very friendly (our taxi driver in Vung Tao took us to his home). We met a young American couple on the beach in Nha Trang,, and they were finishing a month long trip that had started in Hanoi. They had gradually made their way all the way south to Nha Trang...and they said it had been a wonderful experience (they were traveling on their own). If any vets read this post...I would tell them that during our first visit to Saigon we had lunch on the roof of the Rex Hotel. I sat there and knew something was different...and after a few minutes it occurred to me that it was the first time I had been in Saigon (I will never say Ho Chi Minh City) when I did not hear the sounds of helicopters in the distance. A great tourist country..and we will return for a longer land trip.

Hank

Hank

Hlitner, I am going on Pacific Princess on the 14th of this month and was hoping you could answer a question. Our itinerary says we dock in Phu My, could you tell me how long it is to Vung Tao (time)? we were thinking of taking a taxi to Vung Tao then taking the hydrofoil to Saigon. I have price and timelines, could you add any more info here? Thanks

Hank, a very nice post to both mind and spirit! Thankyou.

I'll second that.:)

When we booked our cruise some months ago I knew little of Vietnam and was wondering of we had done the right thing with 3 Vietnamese ports included. But now that I have done some reading and research I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to visiting this country and it's people.

I say this as someone who has no connection with the Vietnam War.

Thanks for the insight.

Unfortunately, I cannot give you a good answer on the Phu My question for an interesting reason. When we crusied on the Pacific Princess (summer of 2004) we were supposed to dock in Phu My.. The day before we were to get to Phy My, the Captain announced that there was a large freighter in our spot at Phy My, so we would not be able to go to that port. Instead, we were diverted to Vung Tao where the tours to Saigon had a longer bus trip (of course Princess never mentioned that there was a cheaper faster hydrofoil alternative). My wife and I quickly changed our plans to go to Saigon in favor of spending the day exploring Vung Tao (we had previously been to Saigon on other trips). In response to one of the other posts, I would really emphasize that the Vietnamise people were extremely friendly. I had wondered if there would be resentment in the South about the way we abandoned the country in the 70s, but instead we found a country that is just opening itself to tourism and seems to be doing a lot to make us feel welcome. My wife reminded me that when we had lunch at the Hotel Rex, they had drinks with such names as "B-52," "The Huey," etc. Guess they also have a great sense of humor.

Hank

Just to add my 2 cents in favor of the ship we chose, the Odyssey has such a shallow draft that it can dock right in Saigon. We stay on the ship in Saigon instead of at a hotel, and then begin the cruise down the Saigon river.

We will be stopping at Cam Rahn Bay, Nha Trang, Qui Nhon, Da Nhang, Hue, Vinh Moc, Halong Bay, Cat Ba Island, and two days in Hanoi at the Hilton Opera.

We're beginning our trip with 4 days in Cambodia to see Angkor Wat.

I'm so excited! We have three friends who've been there who highly recommended it.

Margaret

• 1 month later...
Silverseas does a cruise in Nov 06 with 3 stops in Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh, overnight; Nha Trang; Da Nang, and a day cruising Halong Bay. It's a 12 day cruise from Singapore to Hong-Kong.

In December 2004 we did a Singapore-Singapore itinerary on the Silverseas Silver Cloud and loved it. Vietnam was probably our favorite stop; I also loved Bangkok but didnt' have enough time, only a day; we were late arriving due to a monsoon in the South China Sea and lost an evening. We had 2 nights in Ho Chi Minh Cit (Saigon) and spent the first afternoon and the last morning in the city and used the full day for the Mekong Delta trip--and one day in Na Tanh--the beach resort where we had the only rain of the trip, of course! We got massages in town instead--$6 + $6 tip for 45+ minutes of pure bliss! A fantastic cruise.

In December 2004 we did a Singapore-Singapore itinerary on the Silverseas Silver Cloud and loved it. Vietnam was probably our favorite stop

MBellamy,

Thanks for the feedback - we can't wait for November to come! Do you recall where the Silver Cloud dock in HCM City - is it within walking distance of the Rex Hotel? Also, did you have much local currency or did you get by with US$?

Thanks...

Haven't been on a cruise there, but was in Saigon in March. Saw a cruise ship docked on the river there not too far from where the Rex is. Because of the exchange rate US $ unless you have a bunch of ones don't work well. However, the ATM (use the ones at banks) work just fine. Lots of local taxis with meters and because of the exchange rate they are cheap by our standards. You mentioned the Rex and I assume you know it from past experience which I also assume is a long time ago. If so you will be amazed at the changes to Saigon, but interestingly a lot of the old landmarks are still there to allow you to get oriented. The main Blvd that the Rex is on comes down to the riverfront and is not far from where the cruise ship was and I think it was Silver Seas. Alot of the bigger ships end up out at Vung Tau and river boat up the Saigon. Enjoy your whole cruise... by the way do you stop in Nha Trang as well? I was stationed there and went back in March as well. I think you'll enjoy your visit there as well if your's stops there.

You mentioned the Rex and I assume you know it from past experience which I also assume is a long time ago.

Hi Tropic,

We've never been to Vietnam before (we're English), however my husband loves military history.....

I'm glad you enjoyed your return trip in March - Yes we also stop at Nha Trang and also Da Nang. In Da Nang I have booked another guide with knowledge of the war as we want to experience as much as possible from our visit - both of the history and culture.

Any insight you have would be equally welcome - please feel free to email me at linda.backwith@yahoo.co.uk.

With regards to the Rex, I was reading a travel magazine which said that the roof-top garden at the Rex was on of the best of many roof-top terraces in the world worth a visit, so we're finishing our excursion there for a drink or two and need to make our own way back to the ship afterwards :).

We're very much looking forward to visiting Vietnam. Thanks!

Because of the exchange rate US $ unless you have a bunch of ones don't work well. However, the ATM (use the ones at banks) work just fine. Lots of local taxis with meters and because of the exchange rate they are cheap by our standards.

I stockpiled a big bundle of US$1 notes from a recent trip to the US just in case!;)

Archived