Another Azamara Air Horror Story

Toronto Guy

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

So....your flight was not cancelled because it never existed as a ticketed flight.

What you had was, at best, a mere reservation.  Which means bupkis until actually ticketed.

Those reservations can, and often are, changed before ticketing.

Being "listed" on a reservation means nothing in reality.

For my understanding does having a PRN and being able to add frequent flyer number, select seats (free in our case) and add extras like baggage/request assistance mean you are ticketed or reserved? 

Edited by uktog

55 minutes ago, uktog said:

For my understanding does having a PRN and being able to add frequent flyer number, select seats (free in our case) and add extras like baggage/request assistance mean you are ticketed or reserved? 

A PRN (or as it is sometimes called, a locator) is NOT any indication of ticketing.  Nor being able to add information such as a seat request (it is never anything more than a request and can be changed even if additional payment is made) or FF number.

The ONLY indication of an actual ticketing is the issuance of a 13 digit number, which is the ticket number.  This will consist of the first 3 digits being the IATA airline accounting code followed by 10 more numbers.

For example, AA is 001 DL is 006, AC is 014.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The PNR (Passenger Name Record) is the precursor to the issuance of the actual ticket.  Too many folks think that with that six character locator, all is well.  Far from it.

Insist on getting the 13 digit ticket number.  And until you know that is issued, you do NOT have a ticket and you are still in ether as far as travel by air.

And FWIW, a "listing" on any kind of cruise itinerary or record is worthless, as that is merely a third party notation, separate from the transaction between passenger and operating carrier.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Insist on getting the 13 digit ticket number.

Is this possible if the flights are not paid in full? 

14 hours ago, Wander58 said:

And this why I ALWAYS book directly with the airline!

Us too with long haul, I have risked (and I do consider it a risk) a package on our next trip as it is a two hour flight and I have no other  money down. If it doesn't happen then I don't get the trip but I'll survive. 

My first question on booking was are the flights ticketed? They are, and I paid in full for the flights when I paid the cruise deposit. I have logged into the airlines and chosen our seats. So fingers crossed. 

3 hours ago, blag said:

Is this possible if the flights are not paid in full? 

When the airline is paid, the tickets get issued.  Now, this can be when a ticket is bought for a specific passenger, or if a cruiseline is buying a bulk number of tickets, with passenger details to be assigned later.

• Like 2

Just now, FlyerTalker said:

When the airline is paid, the tickets get issued.  Now, this can be when a ticket is bought for a specific passenger, or if a cruiseline is buying a bulk number of tickets, with passenger details to be assigned later.

Thanks.

I recently booked a flight for Thanksgiving week through a TA because my bank was over zealous with their Credit Card fraud 'protection'. It's been a difficult couple of months, and my budgeting has gone awry. I couldn't afford to pay for the tickets outright, and have only the one multi-currency Credit Card.

The local TA needed only 10% deposit, which was acceptable. 

I have been able to chose seats and arrange special assistance on the airline's web site.

I've done what I can, and I'll know nearer the time whether it's all gone according to plan. 

12 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Better question:  What is the ticket number?

OK I was not clear. Before booking I wanted to know if the flights would be ticketed.

Once booked I received the booking references to log in and books seats etc. 

5 minutes ago, Catchum said:

OK I was not clear. Before booking I wanted to know if the flights would be ticketed.

Once booked I received the booking references to log in and books seats etc. 

It seems that this is not the same as ticketed. Booking references (PNR) are not ticket numbers. 

My Thanksgiving flights (post#34) are NOT ticketed, but, as stated in that post, I can book seats etc.

36 minutes ago, blag said:

It seems that this is not the same as ticketed. Booking references (PNR) are not ticket numbers.

Absolutely correct.

37 minutes ago, blag said:

My Thanksgiving flights (post#34) are NOT ticketed, but, as stated in that post, I can book seats etc.

And remember that seat requests are just that....requests.  You can have your seat changed at any time, at the will of the airline.  Be sure to read the fine print.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, blag said:

My booking confirmation says the flight status is ticketed I have confirmation from the airlines the flights are paid in full, so I am quietly confident that we will be able to board. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Catchum said:

My booking confirmation says the flight status is ticketed I have confirmation from the airlines the flights are paid in full, so I am quietly confident that we will be able to board.

Get the ticket number.  FWIW, a number of airlines require the actual ticket number to accomplish tasks on their website.

14 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Get the ticket number.  FWIW, a number of airlines require the actual ticket number to accomplish tasks on their website.

My flights are with BA and Agean both of whom I have flown with in the past and have previously printed boarding passes with booking references only. If you look up ticket number on their webpages it directs you to how to find your  booking reference. As I said I am quietly confident I will be on the flight.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

And remember that seat requests are just that....requests.  You can have your seat changed at any time, at the will of the airline.

On this particular flight, we are flying First Class. If our seat allocations change I won't be particularly worried - unless we are downgraded. 

As Alexander Pope said:  "Blessed is the man who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed."

YES.....check everything.  And check again.  Don't just throw all responsibility to another.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

YES.....check everything.  And check again.  Don't just throw all responsibility to another.

Yes, I agree FlyerTalker.  You did a great job enlightening everyone, so I didn't chime in with my 2 cents...  I'm retired AA and loving it!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Well... since there are occasions when it is not possible to check everything, check what you can.

But remember, you don't know what you don't know.

Edited by blag
  • Like 3