Wheelchairs at the Muster Drill

MrsFlydude

In May, my DH and I will be taking my DM and DD with us on a cruise for the first time. I plan to reserve a wheelchair for DM, as she has a lot of trouble getting around due to arthritis, and it will make things easier for all of us. DH and I have been on 2 previous cruises, and it seems that the muster drill is always confusing and crowded. While we would NEVER consider skipping it (so save those posts!) I am curious how it will be pushing a wheelchair. Any suggestions from previous cruisers in this situation? Should we head down to our station area early to avoid crowded hallways / elevators? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Flydude and MrsFlydude

54 Days Til We Leave!!!!!!!!!! :D

Well I've never been in this situation, but going early might be a good idea. Now your muster station could be on a deck or in a theatre or lounge.

Don't quote me on this, but I think they turn off the elevators for muster drills. So I'd find out where it is when you board, find out the time and head down maybe 15 minutes early.

I was on a 3 day RC cruise to Mexico just this past new years. I fractured one ankle and sprained the other just 2 days prior to the cruise so was wheelchair bound. The muster was no problem except having to wait for the elevator to get to the correct floor but people are pretty understanding and tend to let you go ahead of them. We went about 10 minutes early and the crew did not make me or my husband go to our actual station we just had to park the wheel chair right by the door out to the deck and wait there. One of the crew was kind enough to come and tell me about 2 minutes from the end of the Muster to go ahead and leave so that we could get to the elevator before everyone else.

They are very accomodating to people in wheelchairs so you should be fine!

Going to your muster station is no problem as only the disabled can use the elevators. Returning can be since it can be difficult to get an elevator. Just be patient.

You said that you are "reserving a wheelchair." Do you mean from the cruise line? If so, I would not chance it as most do not guarantee you a chair except for embarkation and disembarkation , and even if they do, they can run out. I would rent one and bring it with you.

Although I don't use a WC, I'm disabled and I always handle the muster drills by going down to the designated muster station at least 10 minutes early. That way I'm in position and not fighting crowds. At the conclusion of the drill, I always wait for a few minutes before going back to my cabin. That way I avoid the pushing and huge crowds at the elevators. I walk with a cane and one time I had a kid kick my cane out from under me trying to get onto the elevator after a drill.

As another poster said, you need to bring your own wheelchair on the cruise. The ones on board the ship are for emergency purposes only. No cruise line will provide a WC for you---that's something you must do on your own.

Call the cruise lines Special Needs Department. Request a wheelchair at the pier to take on to the ship. When you arrive at the pier ask for assistance from ships personnel in obtaining one.

We used one for my wife at Ft Lauderdale. Pushed her from sidewalk to inside terminal in it and then got ship personnel to push her onto ship. Kept the w/c for the entire 14 night cruise. No charge.

If your mother will need the wheelchair in a real case of emergency you should contact the pursers office or who ever is responsible on board. At least some cruiselines request you to do so because staff will need to be informed who needs assistance and cannot get to the muster station and/or the lifeboat on his/her own. They will inform you if they include any special procedure in the muster drill.

In spite of what others posters have said, do not rely on the cruise line to provide a wheelchair unless you have it in writung - and even then it can be risky.

My husband uses a power chair aboard ship, but needs a manual one for in ports. Years ago, RCCL promised us one and then could not provide it because other passengers kept the ones that they came aboard with. When I complained, they said it was my fault as I should have brought my own. HAL said I could use one aboard ship, but could not take it off the ship. In addition, often ship wheelchairs are not in good shape.

Thank you all for your information and insight. I called the cruise line a few nights ago, and they said that our TA would need to call to reserve the wheelchair, but once it was reserved, it would be ours for the duration of the cruise. The down side - we wouldn't be allowed to take it off the ship while in port. Well, that was 50-75% of why we needed it.

So, we are looking into alternative ideas. I've contacted CruiseAssist, but am still waiting for pricing from them for a rental that is delivered to DM's stateroom prior to leaving, and picked up when we return. Otherwise, she'll have to bring one with her, and I'm concerned about the cab rides from the airport - hotel - pier - airport. I know they fold up, but with 4 people's luggage PLUS a wheelchair, we're going to tap out any cab's trunk pretty quickly.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you all for your help with this. However it turns out, we're going to have a GREAT time!!!!!!!!

51 days and counting!

I definitely recommend that you visit the Disabled Cruisers board here on Cruise Critic. There are a lot of helpful people there who can give you hints, not just about muster, but about getting handicapped accessible excursions in certain ports, getting around the ship, etc. I hope you have a great cruise.

Archived