Question About Deviation Protocol and Disembarking at a Different Port

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the deviation protocol on HAL cruise liners. I’ve reached out to the company directly, but I haven’t heard back yet, so I thought I’d ask here to see if anyone has had a similar experience or knows more about this.

Specifically, I’m wondering about the procedures for a non British citizen disembarking at a port in the UK. Here are a couple of points I’m curious about:

1. Is it possible to make such a request upon arrival after initial boarding, at the start of the cruise with guest relations (having completed at least half of the intended journey)?
2. Are there any associated costs or administrative procedures that need to be completed for this request?

Any insights or experiences you could share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

No, you cannot request this onboard.  It must be approved by HAL (and in writing) prior to sailing, however, much depends on where  you are disembarking.  Post-covid, this request is harder to attain.  I don't believe there's any cost associated (HAL will tell you if there is).  

• Like 1

Besides what Julia said if there is a fine/cost to the cruise line for you disappearing from the cruise you will be billed.  So be sure to get permission in writing.   Someone recently asked this question, I do not recall the answer but I do remember there was a wrinkle 

27 minutes ago, lazarus1 said:

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the deviation protocol on HAL cruise liners. I’ve reached out to the company directly, but I haven’t heard back yet, so I thought I’d ask here to see if anyone has had a similar experience or knows more about this.

Specifically, I’m wondering about the procedures for a non British citizen disembarking at a port in the UK. Here are a couple of points I’m curious about:

1. Is it possible to make such a request upon arrival after initial boarding, at the start of the cruise with guest relations (having completed at least half of the intended journey)?
2. Are there any associated costs or administrative procedures that need to be completed for this request?

Any insights or experiences you could share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Without knowing your embarkation port, it is impossible to provide a definitive answer. If you are embarking in a different UK port then UK Cabotage Laws may be applicable. I haven't studied UK shipping acts since the 1970's, so am not aware of the current requirements. Any contravention of Cabotage Laws can result in a fine to the shipping line, which is then passed on to the pax.

If you embark outside UK, it would then be classed as an International Voyage, so Cabotage Laws are not applicable.

In general, cruise lines cannot restrict any passenger from disembarking; however, pax could be liable for a number of fees, if not approved in advance. The ship must make changes to the manifest, with many cruise lines charging a fee for completing this work. The shore authorities may also have to provide additional customs/immigration officials. You are also required to ensure any visas or e-visas are correct for disembarking, as opposed to only visiting for the day.

As other have indicated, it is always best to submit a request in advance and receive approval, to mitigate the potential of being hit with significant fees.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I have embarked and disembarked, deviating from the itinerary. When asked of HAL, you MUSt get advanced permission. For my ports, I  was not denied, however HAL insisted it must be pre-approved prior to initial sailing - absent a variable emergency occurs while onboard. I will say, the system was smooth and organized - in other words, not the first to do so!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe but very unlikely. Post-Covid it’s much harder to get down-line deviations approved, and there is the additional issue of the port you want to disembark from would need to have customs and immigration personnel available.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss