please ...some help

fabulous50

My sister and I are planning a very special trip with our Mom, my two daughters and our sister in-law. Mom doesn't have a clue..it will be a suprise. Here are my questions:

1. Please name your Favorite Ship and why

2. Which cruiseline has the best food (excluding Luxury Lines)

3. We will be doing 7 days Eastern Carrib. Any great excursions for a variety of ages?

I would really appreciate your input. This is a difficult project to research! :confused:

I do not have a favorite ship, but for your varied age group, I would suggest the RCCL Radiance class ships: the Radiance of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas, The Serenade of the Seas or the Jewel of the Seas. I like them because they are realtively small ships with everything RCCL has to offer for passengers of all ages.

However, I think Celebrity has the best food of the non-luxury lines.

As for excursions, what do you like. The Eastern Cribbean mostly offers beaches and shopping. Personally, I like to snorkel, but that probably would not be good for your mother. I do not know which ports you would be going to, but here is some thoughts:

St Thomas: An island tour and/or Coral World

St Maarten: An island tour that includes the French side

San Juan: If you are docked at the base of Old Sn Juan and if your mother does not have difficulty walking, take a cab up to the fort (El Morro) and walk back down hill to the ship. Its hard to get lost and there are lovely old buildings, churches, etc. Or try the Bicardi factory tour.

Bahamas: Atlantis

Tortola: The Baths

To be totally pampered, book a Concierge Class cabin on Celebrity. I believe Millennium will be doing Eastern Caribbean. We've cruised Carnival, Princess, RCI, and NCL. We love Celebrity the best. Princess isn't too far behind, but since the Caribbean Princess is the only 7 day ship sailing the Caribbean, depending on when you plan to cruise, you may be bombarded with kids.

A few years ago I surprised my sister and Mom with a cruise on the Grand Princess. We went in September and it was wonderful. Very few kids and a very nice time. My husband and I did the Caribbean Princess last September and the ship was loaded with kids (don't know why they weren't in school) and we felt the service wasn't nearly as good as on the Grand.

Celebrity pretty consistently gets high marks.

I'd suggest the Caribbean Princess. It is a beautiful ship and appeals to a wide range of ages. She offers all kinds of activities and great entertainment. The food is awesome, both formal and casual dining. Movies Under the Stars is wonderful. Princess staterooms are significantly larger than Celebrity's. AND Princess offers some of the very best values in the Caribbean - far less than Celebrity, although the experience is very similar.

I travel with my Mom who is 84 yrs old. HER favorite ship has been the RCI Mariner of the Seas (mine too). She uses a cane for short distances but we use a wheelchair around the ship or she would never get from one end to the other! The Caribbean Princess is a beautiful ship but harder to navigate and rough with a wheelchair. If your Mom is mobile then it is a matter of itineraries. Both ships have much to offer but Moms favorite show was the ice skating show on RCI. You cannot go wrong with either line but if fine dining is high on your list, head to Celebrity.

Celebrity has wonderful food!

My 4 sisters and I took our 70yo mom on her first cruise. She had often mentioned on going on one. Than dad died of cancer. So we decided to go on one for her 70th b'day. It was a short one, Majesty of the Seas. She was a little concerned of getting sick. She loved it. Now she is planning one to Alaska. Enjoy yours.

i vote for the caribbean princess. we love carnival but the caribbean princess was very nice. i would choose that for my mom. the food was great with seafood buffets and crab legs!the entertainment had a great range for all types of people so there is something that appeals to everyone. the movies under the stars was awesome, too.

My mom is 79 and we just introduced her to cruising a couple of years ago. Now, we created a cruise monster and she can't get enough. Her first couple of cruises were on Royal Caribbean and she loved it, but once we took her on Celebrity, she won't go on any other cruise line. Their service is the best of any mass market line, and their ships are always ranked at the top for both food and service. I've been on 44 cruises, on all the lines out there, with the exception of MSC, and my favorite mass market line is by far Celebrity.

I think one question that has not been asked is how old are your daughters. Yes Celebrity has great food and service, but it tends to be more formal and attract mostly an older crowd which your daughters may not appreciate.

Archived