OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK SEASCAPE JULY

First let us be cognizant of the fact that "Travel is a fool's paradise." Emerson 

("Fool's Paradise is a happy state that one inhabits for foolish, unfounded, delusional reasons.") 

"I travelled among unknown men, in lands beyond the sea; nor (fill in this blank with your home sweet home !)  did I know till then what love I bore to thee." Wordsworth.

What we love most about cruising is getting back home.

10 hours ago, no1talks said:

An experience on another cruise ship that compares favorably with YC is simply never going to happen for you and there is nothing unreasonable about that

You have so much 'fodder' to talk about....

Hope springs eternal.  Already discovered Explora Journeys which happens to be another great product of MSC. Would travel more on it if only it had more closed loop cruises from Miami ( and shorter). Will be trying Oceania's new ship Vista Spring Break.

It is very important for one to come up with their own list. On my list of 29 I have not found it essential to dine in our cabin. We only would do it if like in Ocean Cay and all restaurants are closed on the ship. Or if we were confined to quarters.

Likewise itinerary is not on our list. The ship is our destination.

Laundry was complimentary on Explora, but still not on our list as essential.

I could go on and on about the things

And you should go on and on... these things are important to you. Put them all on your list.

Dorothy Gale:
"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own back yard.

Yes, I suppose if a tornado knocked me 'over the rainbow' I wouldn't venture any further away than my own backyard. 

6 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

You have so much 'fodder' to talk about....

Hope springs eternal.  Already discovered Explora Journeys which happens to be another great product of MSC. Would travel more on it if only it had more closed loop cruises from Miami ( and shorter). Will be trying Oceania's new ship Vista Spring Break.

It is very important for one to come up with their own list. On my list of 29 I have not found it essential to dine in our cabin. We only would do it if like in Ocean Cay and all restaurants are closed on the ship. Or if we were confined to quarters.

Likewise itinerary is not on our list. The ship is our destination.

Laundry was complimentary on Explora, but still not on our list as essential.

And you should go on and on... these things are important to you. Put them all on your list.

Yes, I suppose if a tornado knocked me 'over the rainbow' I wouldn't venture any further away than my own backyard. 

MOTS, your list of cruise essentials is almost identical to mine.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"The research is bogus."

I disagree. Markedly so, in fact. I don't need to experience a cruise to find out which of the ship's restaurants are open for lunch or whether the cruise line has a Barolo available by the glass on it's current wine list. I'm referring to readily available objective facts about cruises. There are also subjective issues about a cruise, such as how comfortable the beds are. These matters must be experienced for discernment. I'm not referring to those things.

"I have neither the time nor the resources to try all these expensive suites, so I rely on like minded fellow cruisers we bump into from time to time on our travels to fill us in on whether we are making an expensive mistake on a future cruise."

So, then, research isn't bogus for the formation of a subjective conclusion if an alleged like-mindedness is believed to exist? Seems rather self-contradictory.

12 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"...but tipping does not help on Regent Seven Seas."

A fact readily in evidence by merely spending time reading the posts regarding tipping on Regent's message board, as well as those of Seabourn, Crystal, and Silversea. It is laughably blatant, really, how many CC participants who are regular patrons of the costliest cruises poo-poo tipping (especially pre-tipping) and sing the virtues of the Crew Fund. I have quite a lot to say on this phenomenon, but I shall withhold the digression.

"The staff just do not keep up cleaning up after their clientele."

I chalk this up to a continuing shortage of staff across all tiers of cruise lines, as well as the wearing-out of extant staff. Look at any reportage by passengers of cruise conditions and you see references to longer dining times, slower beverage service, fewer musicians, and so on. I do not however excuse the shortage as an inevitable aftermath of COVID. To be sure, that is part of the problem, but if there isn't a bit of deliberate crew downsizing taking place to save money, you can butter my butt and call me a biscuit.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

"First let us be cognizant of the fact that 'Travel is a fool's paradise.' Emerson"

That quote from ol' Ralph Waldo wasn't truly about travel.

It is from his essay, Self-Reliance, wherein he extols the virtues of individualism and avoidance of conformity. The quote points out one is more likely to succeed in remaking oneself by working on the inner self and not just expect a "new you" to arise after a superficial exercise such as a year abroad or relocating to the frontier. You'll be the same old you, so work from the soul outward.

"And you should go on and on... these things are important to you. Put them all on your list."

This really is too labyrinthine for me to share in its entirety. For myself, it is not just the ticking-of-boxes for a cruise. Shall it be a winter getaway cruise? Perhaps a birthday? Is it for our wedding anniversary? Heavy on the sea days?

I'm the sort of person who changes the criteria based on the rationale for a cruise. Accordingly, I'm talking about lists within lists within... 🤪 

Edited by no1talks
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

And everything I post is purely for entertainment.

P.S. I am reminded of a story of the famous actress Marlene Dietrich, giving one of her last performances on stage when she noticed a man in the front row using opera glasses. She stopped her performance and asked the gentleman to please put away his opera glasses and not spoil the illusion.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

On 8/2/2024 at 7:02 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

First let us be cognizant of the fact that "Travel is a fool's paradise." Emerson 

("Fool's Paradise is a happy state that one inhabits for foolish, unfounded, delusional reasons.") 

"I travelled among unknown men, in lands beyond the sea; nor (fill in this blank with your home sweet home !)  did I know till then what love I bore to thee." Wordsworth.

What we love most about cruising is getting back home.

I always tell my husband that if you go in with preconceived notions you will always be disappointed!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, lahlah57 said:

I always tell my husband that if you go in with preconceived notions you will always be disappointed!

This is true. We were spoiled by the butler service of the MSC Yacht Clubs are were very disappointed with the butler service on both the Regent and Explora (another MSC experience advertised as an all YC product). Expected the same level of service from butler. Not going into this next Oceania Vista Owners Suite with any expectations. Will report.

P.S. Having pre- tipped both butlers $100, they knew we were disillusioned with their inability to 'go the distance' as do YC butlers, but in the end, the last evening I tipped both another $100 again.

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

This is true. We were spoiled by the butler service of the MSC Yacht Clubs are were very disappointed with the butler service on both the Regent and Explora (another MSC experience advertised as an all YC product). Expected the same level of service from butler. Not going into this next Oceania Vista Owners Suite with any expectations. Will report.

P.S. Having pre- tipped both butlers $100, they knew we were disillusioned with their inability to 'go the distance' as do YC butlers, but in the end, the last evening I tipped both another $100 again.

Truly hoping our 1st YC experience on the Seascape in September is even moderately a good one but I will hold no pre conceived notions cause we could be swept out to Africa if a hurricane hits us! 🫠

On 7/11/2024 at 7:20 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Is there a wine bar near the specialties like on seashore?

I am just finally catching up here.  If you find that you are not keen on the vibe at The Wine Cellar, then Cocktail Bar is right next door.  We enjoyed trying some of their craft cocktails, but Cocktail Bar’s wine list was less than inspiring.  If you like the Cocktail Bar vibe, then you best bring with you your better wine selection from another venue.  Enjoy your cruise!

IMG_9558.thumb.jpeg.bf8f208becb23c53140431177f1cc17c.jpeg

IMG_5239.thumb.jpeg.5c7ca2ddc0a197c9e89f58e2e71a607e.jpeg

IMG_0564.thumb.jpeg.31fe0d1565e6be27cb1d00d6a3bae412.jpeg

• Thanks 1

We are sailing in just under two weeks now and I am very interested in the live music you enjoyed and where. I remember reading about them but your semi lives are longer than the illiad. I feel like our live musical interests are similar....so if can you remind me of your spots that you enjoyed, I would be grateful 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

We are sailing in just under two weeks now and I am very interested in the live music you enjoyed and where. I remember reading about them but your semi lives are longer than the illiad. I feel like our live musical interests are similar....so if can you remind me of your spots that you enjoyed, I would be grateful 

First night is the only night to catch two Chora Theatre performers doing their 'own thing' in Le Cabaret Rouge. No one knows this and LCR is empty first night. Then we go at 9pm and get our preferred seats in the Chora Theatre for the show. After the show we go to the Loft Cafe to catch a set of the BB Jazz Quartet. Following nights repeat. It is hard to get the right 30 minutes that the latin group plays in the Uptown Lounge, but they are worth the half hour.

1 hour ago, ChanelChanel35 said:

I recall you always having a go-to seat for the show. Please… enlighten us. Which section in the theatre has the best seats? 🤗

To be frank, blunt, candid, forthright, free-spoken, outspoken, plainspoken, point-blank, straight-from-the-shoulder direct, any seats that do not have any talkers, hackers, coughers, and sneezers anywhere around you. So we pick two end seats to make a quick exit out of the theatre.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

We are sailing in just under two weeks

There is another duo that is quite good called Little/Big that played one evening in the Loft Cafe, his guitar solo at the end of "Hotel California" got an ovation from the audience. Their usual venue was the Atrium which did not lend itself to their true potential and they were more subdued in the Top Sail Lounge the last evening of the cruise. They said they were on until September and they were to go on to the Seashore.

• Thanks 2

On 8/2/2024 at 10:47 PM, no1talks said:

So, then, research isn't bogus for the formation of a subjective conclusion if an alleged like-mindedness is believed to exist? Seems rather self-contradictory.

I think we are more like-minded...

"You see, my dear friend, I am made up of contradictions, and I have reached a very mature age without resting upon anything positive, without having calmed my restless spirit either by religion or philosophy. Undoubtedly I should have gone mad but for (cruising). (Cruising) is indeed the most beautiful of all Heaven's gifts to humanity wandering in the darkness. Alone it calms, enlightens, and stills our souls. It is not the straw to which the drowning man clings; but a true friend, refuge, and comforter, for whose sake life is worth living". (To paraphrase Tchaikovsky)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

@morpheusofthesea  I see what you did there !! Bravo.  

Thank you, you are very kind. 

"I'm a very smart guy. I haven't a feeling or a scruple in the world. All I have the itch for is money. I am so money greedy that for twenty-five bucks a day and expenses, mostly gasoline and whisky, I do my thinking myself, what there is of it; I risk my whole future, the hatred of the (posters) . . . I dodge bullets and eat saps, and say thank you very much, if you have any more trouble, I hope you'll think of me, I'll just leave one of my cards in case anything comes up" (and you have any more questions).

Raymond Chandler

• Like 1

On 8/4/2024 at 8:34 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

To be frank, blunt, candid, forthright, free-spoken, outspoken, plainspoken, point-blank, straight-from-the-shoulder direct, any seats that do not have any talkers, hackers, coughers, and sneezers anywhere around you. So we pick two end seats to make a quick exit out of the theatre.

No one could find fault with anything you may say because you prefaced yourself into oblivion! Congrats! 😇😆

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, lahlah57 said:

No one could find fault with anything you may say because you prefaced yourself into oblivion! Congrats! 😇😆

I am caught between two quotes. "I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about." And " Saying what I really think can be a serious error, since I risk being misunderstood." Both Oscar Wilde

• Like 1

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I am caught between two quotes. "I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about." And " Saying what I really think can be a serious error, since I risk being misunderstood." Both Oscar Wilde

I agree with Oscar Wilde in regards to texts......texting "always" is a setup for being misunderstood. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lahlah57 said:

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." Oscar Wilde  I get that way all the time but my DW doesn't use the word "clever".

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." Oscar Wilde  I get that way all the time but my DW doesn't use the word "clever".

Wives never use the word "clever" to describe husbands unless you actually meant "aggravating".

Edited by lahlah57
Missing word
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1