14-day itinerary, looking for opinions

I want to know what people think of the 14 day London Canary Islands virtuosa itinerary in October. I don’t know how to link it here. But it’s October 25, round trip, including Casablanca and Portugal. 

just wondering what your opinions on the overall vibe of this cruise will be. I loved the Meraviglia, so ship is definitely a plus. But being that this trip is in school season, and two weeks, can I expect a mature crowd? I want a few party nights. What kind of nationalities do you get on London sailings, I am Canadian so I am expecting very few people from here and lots of Brits and maybe italians.

really just looking for anyone’s overall thoughts or opinions on this sailing. This would be longest cruise for me, but the value is pretty good and flights/hotels are still not yet too obscenely priced. What would be the DOWNSIDES to this sailing as well as the PRO’s

any ideas welcome

I would expect the vast majority to be Brits. We sailed on a similar 12-night cruise on Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas in late September/early October and the passenger demographic was 96% Brits!

Also, English schools have a week off round about the date of your sailing so conceivably some families will take their kids out of school for the other week, although I believe the education authorities are cracking down on this.

I would not necessarily expect it to be a much more mature crowd though, given that Brits and Europeans in general have generous PTO allowances and often take two-week trips as their main annual holiday. You'll potentially see lots of childless younger couples or families with preschoolers taking advantage of a cheap price to get some autumn sunshine. I think it's very unlikely to be Snoozeville-at-Sea.

8 hours ago, FionaMG said:

I would expect the vast majority to be Brits. We sailed on a similar 12-night cruise on Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas in late September/early October and the passenger demographic was 96% Brits!

Also, English schools have a week off round about the date of your sailing so conceivably some families will take their kids out of school for the other week, although I believe the education authorities are cracking down on this.

I would not necessarily expect it to be a much more mature crowd though, given that Brits and Europeans in general have generous PTO allowances and often take two-week trips as their main annual holiday. You'll potentially see lots of childless younger couples or families with preschoolers taking advantage of a cheap price to get some autumn sunshine. I think it's very unlikely to be Snoozeville-at-Sea.

More boozeville and less snoozeville you figure?

how were kids on the 12 nighter, did it go over the autumnal holiday period?

I did indeed look up the holiday and ya You’re unfortunately correct 😞  luckily it is a two week cruise,

so hopefully if people take kids, they’ll choose one week cruises. 

14 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

More boozeville and less snoozeville you figure?

how were kids on the 12 nighter, did it go over the autumnal holiday period?

I did indeed look up the holiday and ya You’re unfortunately correct 😞  luckily it is a two week cruise,

so hopefully if people take kids, they’ll choose one week cruises. 

Maybe not totally boozeville given it's a longer cruise but Brits on holiday know how to have a good time so I would expect there to be plenty of action.

Our 12-nighter completely missed the half term holiday. I do remember seeing families with younger kids but not hordes and certainly can't remember any issues.

Getting a sun lounger by the pool on a sea day is likely to be difficult though and even on some of our port days it was clear that a lot of folks had no intention of getting off the ship and were all set up to spend the entire day by the pool. This makes sense given the demographic; the Canary Islands are popular with Brits and other Europeans as a destination for land holidays so potentially many of your fellow passengers will already have been there on numerous occasions. A bit like frequent Florida cruisers and the Caribbean islands.

I don't know what ports you're visiting but I actually did a live report of our trip. In case it might be helpful here's the link. I listed our ports in the very first sentence.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for that no will take a look at your trip report. I know this is a traditional holiday destination for Brits, so I am kinda ready for that. Except we call it “vacation” over here, so I will be singing the Madonna song Holiday at karaoke but substituting it with the word “Vacation” out of defiance. Lol. 

Edited by marktwothousand
  • Haha 1