What's in your carry-on?

So back to the topic.  Since we don’t fly to a port very often I wasn’t thinking of my carryon for a flight.  There’s one thing I put in my carryon when flying that may surprise some.  A brand new, still in the wrapper, roll of duct tape. Not one of the giant ones, just a 3/4 inch or so size.  I can’t remember the exact incident, but somewhere along the way someone made the news because they went nuts on a flight and had to be restrained by passengers.  As a retired law enforcement professional my training would include either handcuffs or large zip ties.  Obviously either of these would be a no no at airport security.  But in over two decades of flying a couple times a year and having that new roll of duct tape in my carryon I’ve never had to use it, but I’ve also never had an issue getting it through security.  And if I did, it’s a $5 roll of duct tape so no big loss.  YMMV

• Like 2

On 9/8/2024 at 6:42 AM, lifes-a-beach said:

So back to the topic.  Since we don’t fly to a port very often I wasn’t thinking of my carryon for a flight.  There’s one thing I put in my carryon when flying that may surprise some.  A brand new, still in the wrapper, roll of duct tape. Not one of the giant ones, just a 3/4 inch or so size.  I can’t remember the exact incident, but somewhere along the way someone made the news because they went nuts on a flight and had to be restrained by passengers.  As a retired law enforcement professional my training would include either handcuffs or large zip ties.  Obviously either of these would be a no no at airport security.  But in over two decades of flying a couple times a year and having that new roll of duct tape in my carryon I’ve never had to use it, but I’ve also never had an issue getting it through security.  And if I did, it’s a $5 roll of duct tape so no big loss.  YMMV

Do you put the tape around just their wrists or also over their mouth and nose and eyes?  BTW - why would zip ties get detected at security and why would they be against the rules.  Handcuff I can see but zip ties.

DON

6 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Do you put the tape around just their wrists or also over their mouth and nose and eyes?  BTW - why would zip ties get detected at security and why would they be against the rules.  Handcuff I can see but zip ties.

DON

As I said, I’ve never had to use it. Duct tape would be effective in securing wrists, legs, feet and, of course, covering a mouth if necessary. Large zip ties might not garner attention. I’m just more confident in duct tape. As I also said, YMMV. 

• Like 1