Canes

I have Parkinson’s and have been using a one prong cane since 2015.Prior to using the cane I had 36 falls.Since using the cane I had one fall in 2018.

My PT suggested that I get a 4 prong cane for better balance.Does anyone use a 4 prong and if so would you recommend it ?

I use a small-base quad cane which I clip to my rollator so that both are useable when I need them.  One thing abut the quad: it is very useful if you encounter a slick floor.  I am in a big band where I park my rollator and cane behind me during rehearsals.  After many years of the normal wood floor, somebody decided it would be a good idea to wax the floor.  Now I feel in danger when I try to get up--everything slides--and the quad is the only thing that has kept me on my feet.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

we find that Hurrycanes, which have a wider, pronged base, are very good and non-slip.  You can get ones that fold up and can be carried in a rollator with a basket.  I use that on ships all the time.  Look them up.  The 4 pronged ones don't fold and often have sharp edges on the underside, which cut up my mother badly once.