Disappointed with Bermuda 2026 Itineraries

Eno

Retired-N-Happy (me, too), Any idea if it goes to the Port of Philadelphia, or is there plans for Septa to the port when it opens for cruises? I guess I could wait until 2026 to consider transportation to port issues, but just curious.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, herbanrenewal said:

Retired-N-Happy (me, too), Any idea if it goes to the Port of Philadelphia, or is there plans for Septa to the port when it opens for cruises? I guess I could wait until 2026 to consider transportation to port issues, but just curious.

The train currently goes to the airport.  The port of Philly used to be adjacent to the Navy Yard.  Don't know if that's where the new port in 2026 is going to be built or not.  The subway line ends where the stadiums are, which are adjacent to the Navy Yard.

• Thanks 1

Somehow, between now and the cruises in two years, I think Philadelphia Septa will create a special to get potential cruisers to this port via a public transportation option.

I have written Septa about providing special buses from the Airport and the Stadium to the port terminal.

If Philadelphia wants these cruise passengers to continue in the future on a regular basis, they have got to get the connections right and provide secure parking, possibly near the stadiums for such cruises.

I for one would like to see this new port destination work properly.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2024 at 9:54 PM, HowardK said:

Its like put the dumpy NCL Jewel in the dumpy Philadelphia port. The city is really unsafe (and I was born there and would go in often for concerts and games) and the Jewel was the worst ship I ever went on. 

If the Breakway were going from Philly then I would be a little more excited. 

I live about 30 minutes from Philly across the bridge. NYC is not much safer then Philly these days. But if you are not going to cruise around town or stay in a hotel then it really does not matter how safe it is. You will be at the port boarding the ship not walking around the drug alleys. 

On 7/16/2024 at 9:21 PM, hladygirl said:

OMG. Those itineraries look awful. What ever happened to the 14 nights Boston to Caribbean they did before the Pandemic? Those were great cruises that I would spend more for happily. I love Bermuda but am getting tired of it. Looking for the first time at other cruise lines.

That's what I want.

DH and I were just discussing how we are getting older and tired of planning complex trips and getting sick in weird countries so maybe we should settle down and do more relaxing stuff like NYC to Bermuda going forward.  Nope.  No way with those lame butt itineraries!

• Like 1

On 8/8/2024 at 1:50 PM, Engineroom Snipe said:

Somehow, between now and the cruises in two years, I think Philadelphia Septa will create a special to get potential cruisers to this port via a public transportation option.

I have written Septa about providing special buses from the Airport and the Stadium to the port terminal.

If Philadelphia wants these cruise passengers to continue in the future on a regular basis, they have got to get the connections right and provide secure parking, possibly near the stadiums for such cruises.

I agree with you, but Septa has been an increasing disaster. I haven't ridden the Broad Street Line for 2 years and drive to the Stadiums instead . I took Patco for the first time in 2 years last weekend to a concert at the riverfront.

I don't see Septa really having the capacity to do anything of this sort. 

You are exactly right about the parking situation, and also, what about people flying in from elsewhere and staying in the city? 

1 hour ago, HowardK said:

I agree with you, but Septa has been an increasing disaster. I haven't ridden the Broad Street Line for 2 years and drive to the Stadiums instead . I took Patco for the first time in 2 years last weekend to a concert at the riverfront.

I don't see Septa really having the capacity to do anything of this sort. 

You are exactly right about the parking situation, and also, what about people flying in from elsewhere and staying in the city? 

1st ever experience with the subway was this year. stayed at loews and took septa to temple graduation. holy cow. the pee smell., the leftover fast food containers.. the trash....amazingly bad and no way id' ride that every day. id move first.

the week before this i was on a cruise and came back to brooklyn and took the subway to Juniors restaurant (MUST do with any NYC cruise, there or times square) and the botanical gardens. was like a palace compared to philly.  never smelled anything bad nor saw trash in any ny subways.  but i did learn to bring oranges as a woman was going around asking if i had any oranges

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

1st ever experience with the subway was this year. stayed at loews and took septa to temple graduation. holy cow. the pee smell., the leftover fast food containers.. the trash....amazingly bad and no way id' ride that every day. id move first.

the week before this i was on a cruise and came back to brooklyn and took the subway to Juniors restaurant (MUST do with any NYC cruise, there or times square) and the botanical gardens. was like a palace compared to philly.  never smelled anything bad nor saw trash in any ny subways.  but i did learn to bring oranges as a woman was going around asking if i had any oranges

before the pandemc I used to ride Septa and Patco frequently, even after concerts and games that ended 11PM. No more. There was also a lot of violence on septa in the last few years.

I had gone to juniors a few times the prior year - great strawberry milkshakes, steakburgers and steak fries!.

I feel much safer on NYC public transit even later at night. I don't find getting to NYC from South Jersey difficult for a cruise- again before the pandemic I would get the Greyhound Bus from Mt. Laurel, although now that the station has closed I will go from Hamilton or 30th street on the train for my November 2025 cruise

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HowardK said:

before the pandemc I used to ride Septa and Patco frequently, even after concerts and games that ended 11PM. No more. There was also a lot of violence on septa in the last few years.

I had gone to juniors a few times the prior year - great strawberry milkshakes, steakburgers and steak fries!.

I feel much safer on NYC public transit even later at night. I don't find getting to NYC from South Jersey difficult for a cruise- again before the pandemic I would get the Greyhound Bus from Mt. Laurel, although now that the station has closed I will go from Hamilton or 30th street on the train for my November 2025 cruise

at juniors it's the goulash for me. cant get it good around me. or anywhere. plus the reuben and cheesecake. one time i was in philly at the zoo and hungry so drove to juniors for dinner. crazy yea

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HowardK said:

I will go from Hamilton or 30th street on the train for my November 2025 cruise

The train as well as parking at 30th St would be more expensive than from the Hamilton station in NJ.  

A third option would be to take the river line to Trenton, walk across the street to the NJ station and take that north.  Did it years ago with no problem and you can park for free at Pennsauken RT 73 location of the river line.

Quick follow up to most of the comments and yes, Septa does have many issues.

In 2026, summer, parking is going to be at a premium everywhere in Philly. The 250th Anniversary of the Declaration of Independence and FIFA will occur. Lots of associated events around these events.

A tourists bump is going to be filling up hotels and parking.

Make your reservations early.

On 8/10/2024 at 7:40 PM, Retired-N-Happy said:

The train as well as parking at 30th St would be more expensive than from the Hamilton station in NJ.  

A third option would be to take the river line to Trenton, walk across the street to the NJ station and take that north.  Did it years ago with no problem and you can park for free at Pennsauken RT 73 location of the river line.

For me that would be extremely convoluted- a lot of times to move luggage and walk

On 8/10/2024 at 8:09 PM, Engineroom Snipe said:

Quick follow up to most of the comments and yes, Septa does have many issues.

In 2026, summer, parking is going to be at a premium everywhere in Philly. The 250th Anniversary of the Declaration of Independence and FIFA will occur. Lots of associated events around these events.

A tourists bump is going to be filling up hotels and parking.

Make your reservations early.

I remember taking Patco and attending the Bicentennail Celebration in '76. I might do it again since it will be 50 years later. 

3 hours ago, HowardK said:

For me that would be extremely convoluted- a lot of times to move luggage and walk

You only walk across the street from the river line to the NJ line and you get free parking in Pennsauken.   Parking for a week at Hamilton is not cheap, even though it's cheaper than 30th St 

On 8/8/2024 at 1:50 PM, Engineroom Snipe said:

I can't imagine Septa or anyone else doing special busses for a cruise. Your talking about something happening once a week. My guess is maybe 10% of the cruises would use public transportation. Sure I can get to work via Septa but it would take a bus, to a train, to another bus and yet another bus

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Laszlo said:

I can't imagine Septa or anyone else doing special busses for a cruise. Your talking about something happening once a week. My guess is maybe 10% of the cruises would use public transportation. Sure I can get to work via Septa but it would take a bus, to a train, to another bus and yet another bus

Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.