What’s going on with MVJ?

SantaFe1

5 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

When I enter the verification code from the email, MVJ returns “Invalid code. Please try again.” Brilliant.

Code is only good for 15 minutes and if you log again or ask for another, the first one is invalidated. Make sure you clear your emails and try again.

16 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Code is only good for 15 minutes and if you log again or ask for another, the first one is invalidated. Make sure you clear your emails and try again.

Did all that, to no avail using iPad (copy & paste, direct input, all within 15 minutes and requested new codes and still denied access - I had first tried to use my password but it would not accept that either). Went to desktop machine and login with password worked fine.

Using Chrome on both pc and iPad. VPN was disabled for both. I'll do some more troubleshooting for the iPad (like update the OS). iPad is most convenient as I have to get off my arse and go upstairs to boot the computer.😜

8 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Did you try Safari on the iPad?

Both methods now work with Safari and Chrome on iPad (and I didn’t update OS).

When I first logged in using PC, I again had to accept the Passenger Ticket Contract (like it was a new account) before I could continue. Perhaps using a desktop computer is more expedient for making the first login after Viking’s enhancement?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hanoj said:

Both methods now work with Safari and Chrome on iPad (and I didn’t update OS).

When I first logged in using PC, I again had to accept the Passenger Ticket Contract (like it was a new account) before I could continue. Perhaps using a desktop computer is more expedient for making the first login after Viking’s enhancement?

It could be the customer agreement screen isn’t showing up. I have notice this issue on other websites when using the iPad. Something about pop-up screens that aren’t working. Could be some security thing, could be anti-virus blocking them, or maybe there’s a change in how pop-ups are implemented in the API. I’ve seen the rotating circle and then gone to a different device and I get a pop-up.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

Having the same issue, I emailed Viking and this was the response I got yest

Thank you for contacting Viking.  

We understand you are having trouble accessing the My Viking Journey portal.

Regrettably, the site is down temporarily.

We advise that you try again later today or tomorrow.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.”

But, still not able to get in this morning!

9 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I’m a software developer so I know a little about this. Major OS releases occasionally deprecate functionality and requires the software to use new or different functionality. One of the major areas of changes has been in security. Some of the latest changes require your device to have certain hardware features to use the new security features. In those circumstances no software update can help. It’s entirely possible the new web site is implementing some new security feature and it is incompatible with some devices or requires some other workaround. You can’t test for every device and browser version in existence. You generally test on the last two or three generations / releases / versions / etc. Anything older is a crap shoot. 

My iPad is 12 years old and it can barely load modern websites and is becoming more useless by the day. Some websites state that it doesn’t support it. I also have lots of apps that no longer work and there is no version in the App Store that is compatible. The reality is anything over 10 years old will not work very well. Even Gmail has given me warnings. I suspect the warning is because some core feature is scheduled for depreciation and at some future date will render that useless too. 

Gmail already eliminated their HTML web view earlier this year. I suspect they will require an app in the not to distant future. 

I was a software developer for 45+ years.   My iPad is about 5 years old and does not update by itself.  I have not updated the operating system or any major. components in several weeks.  Before Viking changed their website, it was usable on myVikingJourney.  Now it is not. To suggest that Apple caused this is incorrect.

As you say, the website has been changed and is now using some set of functionality that older iPads cannot handle. However, I sincerely doubt that that was totally necessary.  My iPad works fine with my bank and many other websites that use MFA.  It is perfectly possible that Viking will correct this situation in the future (or not).  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

My iPad is 12 years old and it can barely load modern websites and is becoming more useless by the day.

Consumer computing devices are indeed obsolete at 12 years of age. That's simply the reality of advances in hardware that require changes in software to exploit them - at some point it isn't viable to make everything backwards compatible.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Messybill said:

I was a software developer for 45+ years.   My iPad is about 5 years old and does not update by itself.  I have not updated the operating system or any major. components in several weeks.  Before Viking changed their website, it was usable on myVikingJourney.  Now it is not. To suggest that Apple caused this is incorrect.

As you say, the website has been changed and is now using some set of functionality that older iPads cannot handle. However, I sincerely doubt that that was totally necessary.  My iPad works fine with my bank and many other websites that use MFA.  It is perfectly possible that Viking will correct this situation in the future (or not).  

Let me clarify. This appears to be the case where the new portal works fine on some devices but not others.

Here is a real world scenario that I’ve dealt with. Sometimes when you update your code base and do a build you will get warnings saying “X” is scheduled for deprecation, start using “Y” so you start using “Y” because it makes no sense to continue using something that is going away. You then test on a variety of 2 year old devices and everything works fine. Problem is a 5 year old device doesn’t support feature “Y” because the libraries don’t contain the code. Whose fault is that?

Now you’re scrambling to find a solution that often involves reverting to feature “X” and kicking the can down the road. Ultimately someone blinks. Either the software company relents and says “we will continue support of feature “X” (this happen with MS-DOS because an unbelievable number of systems like ATMs and custom built government software still use it) or the end user is forced to upgrade their hardware. 

Again, who is at fault?

Nothing is 100% backwards compatible. Once a device no longer  can support the latest OS release, it’s days are numbered.

BTW There are ATMs that are still using Windows 95 or 98, a scary thought.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I get nothing but this...  A big blank blue screen.  This is on a Mac but using Chrome.

image.thumb.png.b4d9ed31666010863370837590a9d093.png

Just tried it on my iPhone. Working fine.

Again, this appears to be a device dependent / version dependent issue.

My configuration:

iOS 17.5.1

iPhone 15 Pro 

Safari browser

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

51 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Just tried it on my iPhone. Working fine.

Again, this appears to be a device dependent / version dependent issue.

My configuration:

iOS 17.5.1

iPhone 15 Pro 

Safari browser

Interesting that I can access from Mac on Safari, but not Mac on Chrome.  Same device.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Interesting that I can access from Mac on Safari, but not Mac on Chrome.  Same device.

On my old Mac I’ve gotten messages that my Chrome browser is out of date and doesn’t support some functionality. I strongly suspect this is in the area of enhanced security.

My old MacBook Pro (10 years) no longer supports the iOS development environment and I cannot upgrade the OS. Don’t feel like paying another $2500 for something I rarely use in retirement.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

26 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

SDDC - same device different codes

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

SDDC - same device different codes

Yes, different libraries.
Now I really think it’s how the pop-up windows are implemented. Those are always a concern because they are usually modal and stop the code execution until the user responds. Some antivirus settings will totally block pop-ups.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I get nothing but this...  A big blank blue screen.  This is on a Mac but using Chrome.

image.thumb.png.b4d9ed31666010863370837590a9d093.png

This is also what I have been getting for the past 2 days.  Two people on the help line tried to assist but there was no change. I am using Chrome on a computer that is about 2 years old.  My husband is using a 6 year old computer and can get access on Chrome.  We didn't ever get to the point of adding a password.

I can now get in on both iPad and iPhone using safari.  But it no longer saves my log in and every time I want to go on (I’m checking daily the availability of a certain shore ex), I have to get a code, click out of MVJ to go to my email to retrieve the code, click out of email and go back to MVJ and enter the code.  Then go back and erase the email. What a pain.  Like others, I haven’t been able to enter a password.  Why in the world, I wonder, did Viking imagine they had to mess with this?  

23 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I can now get in on both iPad and iPhone using safari.  But it no longer saves my log in and every time I want to go on (I’m checking daily the availability of a certain shore ex), I have to get a code, click out of MVJ to go to my email to retrieve the code, click out of email and go back to MVJ and enter the code.  Then go back and erase the email. What a pain.  Like others, I haven’t been able to enter a password.  Why in the world, I wonder, did Viking imagine they had to mess with this?  

Agree this is very annoying. If they are going to require 2FA, they should at least allow the option of a text vs. email (which almost everyone does), as the email  requires opening a separate app. Annoying, particularly when you are on a phone. 

With a little patience, iOS will populate the code from your mail, just like it does for text messages. When I am on my Windows PC, well yes, I have to go open the mail application, but it can't get texts and typing in the code from a text on my phone would not be any easier.

Interesting. MVJ is no longer requiring me to enter my email. I just go to the website and it opens with no authentication. Maybe they have saved a cookie that allows you back on for X period of time or may they disabled MFA?

This is very weird. I went from MFA to no authentication.

Posted (edited)

Once I've logged in, MVJ keeps me logged.  If I manually log out, it requires logging in again.  I use email and password with no additional verification needed.  I was sent a verification code that I could have used for non-email log in.

Edited by 1985rz1

2 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Once I've logged in, MVJ keeps me logged

I now have this on my phone but not iPad.  
However, just a minute agowhen I was playing with this with Chrome, I got a pop up from Viking asking three questions about my experience with the new log in.  I guess they have heard us!

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Once I've logged in, MVJ keeps me logged.  If I manually log out, it requires logging in again.  I use email and password with no additional verification needed.  I was sent a verification code that I could have used for non-email log in.

Yes. It appears they are keeping the session open indefinitely. I never logged out last night and needed no authentication to log back in. I just logged out and now need to re-authenticate.

This is a time bomb. Session timeout should be set relatively low. It was at least 8 hours for me and counting. If sessions aren’t closing they will eventually run out and lock up the website. There is a finite number that can be open, even with session sharing techniques. Tick tick tick…

Leaving sessions open indefinitely is a potential major security risk. It’s lazy programming.

This smacks of outsourcing to the 3rd world.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne