What’s going on with MVJ?

SantaFe1

7 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Just tried to go on and got a message that the whole site was down for maintenance.   Perhaps they are working on it 

I just went on and the website is up, but, oddly, I didn't have to log in at all!

26 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I think I have had a different experience each day since I first posted this thread four days ago.

I agree. And, that’s the second time this week I haven’t had to log in in the morning. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, millybess said:

I just went on and the website is up, but, oddly, I didn't have to log in at all!

You never signed out.

This is apparently because the sessions are not timing out. I saw the same thing days ago. I was able to connect the next day with no login. If you don’t sign out the session remains open. Normally the site sets some reasonable session time out period. They have either set it too high or not at all. A zero timeout value is infinity. 

As I said in a previous post, the number of sessions is not unlimited. Each session takes server resources and when the max sessions is reach, connections will be denied. Eventually it may crash the site. Also, this is a huge security hole since the session has already been authenticated and is past that layer of security. Always log out.

It could be the “maintenance” was really a crash that was caused by too many sessions. If not fixed, it eventually will crash.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

5 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

You never signed out.

This is apparently because the sessions are not timing out. I saw the same thing days ago. I was able to connect the next day with no login. If you don’t sign out the session remains open. Normally the site sets some reasonable session time out period. They have either set it too high or not at all. A zero timeout value is infinity. 

As I said in a previous post, the number of sessions is not unlimited. Each session takes server resources and when the max sessions is reach, connections will be denied. Eventually it may crash the site. Also, this is a huge security hole since the session has already been authenticated and is past that layer of security. Always log out.

It could be the “maintenance” was really a crash that was caused by too many sessions. If not fixed, it eventually will crash.

That is right, I never signed out.  On MVJ I have never signed out, but I have always had to log back in except for twice this week -- a couple of days apart.

It is definitely a security problem and if they ran a bank, I'd be very worried.

I don’t like my inbox receiving a verification code each time I seek to access MVJ (assuming I logged out) since I use my password. Seems the new process is untidy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

I don’t like my inbox receiving a verification code each time I seek to access MVJ (assuming I logged out) since I use my password. Seems the new process is untidy.

Yes, I just hate the emailed codes.  And Viking has the nerve to say they are dining it for our convenience!

25 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

I agree.  I'm looking for a particular extension for a cruise we have booked which is now sold out.  I'm also looking for shore excursion postings for our next cruise.  So I look at MVJ often.

My email is getting jam-packed with codes, even though I use a password.......that is, if I have to sign in at all.  Hopefully, it will all be sorted soon.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, millybess said:

I agree.  I'm looking for a particular extension for a cruise we have booked which is now sold out.  I'm also looking for shore excursion postings for our next cruise.  So I look at MVJ often.

My email is getting jam-packed with codes, even though I use a password.......that is, if I have to sign in at all.  Hopefully, it will all be sorted soon.

There’s a step missing. Getting a code can be for my convenience (like if I don’t remember my password and don’t want to access my password manager) but allow users to request the code. The first step is entering an email, which automatically generates the email with code before getting to the next screen to access with password or code. Seems like this should be an easy fix. It’s not like Viking needs reinvent the wheel, err, rudder.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

There’s a step missing. Getting a code can be for my convenience (like if I don’t remember my password and don’t want to access my password manager) but allow users to request the code. The first step is entering an email, which automatically generates the email with code before getting to the next screen to access with password or code. Seems like this should be an easy fix. It’s not like Viking needs reinvent the wheel, err, rudder.

Right you are!!😊  So the challenge is to try to get the password in before the email arrives with the code.  You'll still get the code.  But it might be a fun game until they fix it.

Edited by millybess
  • Haha 1

On 7/17/2024 at 6:46 PM, OneSixtyToOne said:

I tried with a password but it fails. It’s only connecting using the two-factor code.

I got in with a password twice. Enter your e-mail address, have the verification sent, and the next page has a "log in with password" button that worked for me each time using the password I already had set up for MVJ.

And the notification e-mail is a little extra security. If I get that e-mail without requesting it I will know something is up.

• Like 1

Human-factors engineering wasn’t factored into the design of the new MVJ interface. I suspect and expect that the current login interface will have a short life.
I was able to login with a single click thanks to faceId. Adios to that.

31 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

I doubt it's going to change anytime soon so I think we'll just have to get used to it.

In our case, we are booking excursions soon for our NZ/AUS cruise and we hope it hasn't changed where we can both still sign on at the same time to facilitate the process.  

I can’t stand to do email on any device other than my laptop. I finally gave in recently and enabled it on my phone and iPad as an emergency backup though.

I do like 2FA, but want it to send a text instead of email. I haven’t tried to login to MVJ yet after these reports hoping Viking will make a change and we are months away from our next trip. I know of another site with the behavior I’m seeing described where a code is automatically emailed, but then the option to use your password is presented. I think this is very confusing personally. It’s frustrating to hear I may be dealing with the same issue now with Viking. It does clutter the inbox unnecessarily. 

I hope Viking is reading these complaints and can implement a different approach soon. My career was also in IT like many others who’ve already commented. I know it can be implemented better! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BluebonnetTexan said:

I can’t stand to do email on any device other than my laptop. I finally gave in recently and enabled it on my phone and iPad as an emergency backup though.

I do like 2FA, but want it to send a text instead of email. I haven’t tried to login to MVJ yet after these reports hoping Viking will make a change and we are months away from our next trip. I know of another site with the behavior I’m seeing described where a code is automatically emailed, but then the option to use your password is presented. I think this is very confusing personally. It’s frustrating to hear I may be dealing with the same issue now with Viking. It does clutter the inbox unnecessarily. 

I hope Viking is reading these complaints and can implement a different approach soon. My career was also in IT like many others who’ve already commented. I know it can be implemented better! 

It does "clutter the inbox unnecessarily" and it would be the same -- probably worse for me personally -- if they cluttered my iMessage.  

This is not 2FA.  Viking is sending me codes after I have already signed in with my email>password.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BluebonnetTexan said:

All they need to do is turn off the email if you sign in with a password - that's not complex programming. I agree with @millybess that this is not 2FA and I'd suggest being careful what you wish for regarding texts.

Sites and apps that use 2FA that requires text are very painful for cruisers - on an extended offshore passage you are forced to the ship's "Cellular at Sea" or equivalent cell service (at it's massive price for any background data that slips through) while you wait for your 2FA text.

2FA or not, at least an email will not incur unwanted charges to get something done. Granted, given shipboard connection reliability, you may never see the email in time, but the same can happen to texts. 

First world problems of course ... 🍺🥌

• Like 1

@CurlerRob good point. I wasn’t thinking about the need to access sites with 2FA in the at sea scenario, but plenty of sites give you the option to setup both an email and a text option to select at the time for whichever is most efficient for you. And, you should be able to easily turn off 2FA on sites as well. With all the data breaches and password leaks, something has to be done to better secure authentication because too many people reuse passwords and have weak passwords. I’ve used a password manager for years, but too many people don’t. Wish I had a one-size fits all solution to this problem! And, yes, what Viking is doing isn’t actually 2FA if I understand it correctly. Again, I haven’t tried yet to login to MVJ, it sounds like they are just providing an emailed code as an alternative to using your password. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

New error. Anyone else getting this? Can’t get to any bookings.

image.thumb.png.f7604ef3424dbcede21d582a5970e61a.png

I’m laughing here. I’ve had this for over a year.  All I have to do is hit back home and I have everything I need.  

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I’m laughing here. I’ve had this for over a year.  All I have to do is hit back home and I have everything I need.  

Nope. Tried that. Just spins a while and can’t resolve the page.

Edit: I re-logged and got on and there is now a promo in MVJ messages. Never saw that before.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

7 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Nope. Tried that. Just spins a while and can’t resolve the page.

Edit: I re-logged and got on and there is now a promo in MVJ messages. Never saw that before.

Well, as I said earlier, every day I get a new log in challenge!  Hang on, it’s going to be a bumpy ride.  

Just tried it again, and got right in after hitting back home.  I have notifications about cruises on the Seine.  And a notice that I need to renew my passport before my Malta trip in Nov. 2025.  Duh!