Silver Nova, Alaska….WOW!

cece50

Recently sailed the Nova from Vancouver to Seward & we give the ship & the cruise a big WOW!  It’s been a few years since our last Silversea cruise & we were reminded of why Silversea still remains our favorite. The ship is stunning, glass & artwork were everywhere.  Light filled spaces brought the outdoors into view at every turn.  Even the elevator rides were a treat.  Loved the new layout, especially the Art’s Cafe & the Salt Bar.  The bartending at the Salt Bar hit a new high for us.  The staff for the most part were amazing with just a few newer staff who seemed a bit confused, but more than made up for it with a positive attitude.  We felt the food was what we expected (very good) and enjoyed all our meals.  Traveled  with friends who were first timers on Silversea & they were likewise, impressed.  Happy to share any specific aspects, if interested.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for your post! 2 quick questions... were people using the pool at all, or was it too chilly? I'm an avid swimmer, and hope to be able to exercise there.  Along that line, were people taking advantage of the Marquee outdoor dining space and Dusk Bar? I have read some opinions on here that these spaces might be undesirable in non-warm climates. All the best, and I'm glad you had a terrific cruise!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BBGrace273 said:

Thanks for your post! 2 quick questions... were people using the pool at all, or was it too chilly? I'm an avid swimmer, and hope to be able to exercise there.  Along that line, were people taking advantage of the Marquee outdoor dining space and Dusk Bar? I have read some opinions on here that these spaces might be undesirable in non-warm climates. All the best, and I'm glad you had a terrific cruise!

Our cruise in late June was a bit chilly, but the pool was used on the sunny days.  The pool was used by avid swimmers as yourself.  We ate at the Marquis a few times, even on chilly days as they have heaters.  Even on our one rainy day, we had lunch under the covered areas as it was comfy under the heaters.  Personally, I loved the ship for Alaska because the scenery is beautiful & there is glass everywhere.  That being said, we hope to sail the Nova or the Ray in the future for a warm weather cruise.  It’s an amazing design for all weather in my opinion.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cece50 said:

Our cruise in late June was a bit chilly, but the pool was used on the sunny days.  The pool was used by avid swimmers as yourself.  We ate at the Marquis a few times, even on chilly days as they have heaters.  Even on our one rainy day, we had lunch under the covered areas as it was comfy under the heaters.  Personally, I loved the ship for Alaska because the scenery is beautiful & there is glass everywhere.  That being said, we hope to sail the Nova or the Ray in the future for a warm weather cruise.  It’s an amazing design for all weather in my opinion.  

So terrific to hear. Thank you!

Great to hear! Do you recall when the last all-aboard time was when you boarded in Vancouver? Our shuttle arrives at 3 p.m., which I hope won't be a problem even though I believe the last boarding time advertised was 2 p.m.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FauxNom said:

Great to hear! Do you recall when the last all-aboard time was when you boarded in Vancouver? Our shuttle arrives at 3 p.m., which I hope won't be a problem even though I believe the last boarding time advertised was 2 p.m.

Fingers crossed for you.  I just read about a couple denied boarding when they arrived after the all aboard time.  Evidently it has something to do with clearance paperwork the ship has to give to port authorities.

On the other hand, on another cruise I was on, a couple whose delayed flight was quite late arriving telephoned the ship as soon as they landed. Doing that meant they were registered as boarded on the paperwork, even though they turned up just before the tops were released.  It pays to let the ship know.

Edited by Port Power
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, FauxNom said:

Good luck! How do you know your boarding time?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Port Power said:

Evidently it has something to do with clearance paperwork the ship has to give to port authorities.

Thanks, PP. I eventually found a note in the Setting Sail guide that said you need to be onboard 90 minutes before departure for this paperwork. Departure is 6 so I'm feeling okay about my shuttle arriving at 3. On the guest questionnaire they did offer a 5 p.m. boarding time, I think, so that's even more reassuring.

43 minutes ago, BBGrace273 said:

How do you know your boarding time?

When you fill out the guest info, you get a choice of times beginning at 2 p.m., I think. I had to dig through a bunch of info before finding the thing about being on board 90 minutes early.

Edited by FauxNom
  • Like 3

for @BBGrace273  This is from the Setting Sail Guide

Embarkation times are included in your final voyage documents. Kindly ensure you have updated all your passport information in your MySilversea account. For customs and immigration purposes, you are required to be onboard at least 90 minutes before the ship’s departure to meet governmental clearance requirements. Guests arriving too close to the ship’s departure could be denied boarding. Once you arrive at the terminal, you will need to show your Silversea voyage documents and your passport. We strongly recommend you keep all necessary documents at hand in your carry-on bag.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2024 at 8:14 PM, FauxNom said:

for @BBGrace273  This is from the Setting Sail Guide

Embarkation times are included in your final voyage documents. Kindly ensure you have updated all your passport information in your MySilversea account. For customs and immigration purposes, you are required to be onboard at least 90 minutes before the ship’s departure to meet governmental clearance requirements. Guests arriving too close to the ship’s departure could be denied boarding. Once you arrive at the terminal, you will need to show your Silversea voyage documents and your passport. We strongly recommend you keep all necessary documents at hand in your carry-on bag.

And where do I find my, "final voyage documents"? Is that just me printing stuff out from MySilversea? Or is that blurb from the website a holdover from when they still actually mailed out stuff?

3 hours ago, BBGrace273 said:

And where do I find my, "final voyage documents"? Is that just me printing stuff out from MySilversea? Or is that blurb from the website a holdover from when they still actually mailed out stuff?

Documents are available online in “My Silversea”.  You only need to print out one page, which is the boarding ticket.  

I don’t think there is a cruise line anywhere today that actually mails out documents to passengers, although my travel agent does.  They print whatever Silversea or any other cruise line sends them and will snail mail that paperwork to me.

• Like 2

I don't know if it's different in Oz, but this side of the world your boarding pass is not available on my.silversea, it is emailed to your TA about a month pre-cruise and they should send it on to you.

Altho' not to worry if you don't have it, I always print mine out and cannot remember having to actually show it at the port for many years now. I suppose it is possible that there are still some ports where you need it to enter the secure port area before check in, but I haven't run across this for many years either.

It does have the phone number to call if you are going to be delayed getting to the embarkation port, but since I'm always there days ahead (surely no-one flies in the day of embarkation?), that doesn't seem too important.

On 9/3/2024 at 12:02 AM, Port Power said:

Documents are available online in “My Silversea”.  You only need to print out one page, which is the boarding ticket. 

So, like just the first page of the 3 page downloaded document? Side follow-up question. On the 3rd page are medical questions (circled in green below) which are blank. The rest of the document seems to be auto-populating from "Guest Information" pages I filled out online... (screenshot and circled in blue) but I can't find anywhere to actually fill those questions out. Am I missing something? My TA is brand new with Silversea, and doesn't know. 

Screenshot_20240904_185559_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240904_185532_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, BBGrace273 said:

So, like just the first page of the 3 page downloaded document? Side follow-up question. On the 3rd page are medical questions (circled in green below) which are blank. The rest of the document seems to be auto-populating from "Guest Information" pages I filled out online... (screenshot and circled in blue) but I can't find anywhere to actually fill those questions out. Am I missing something? My TA is brand new with Silversea, and doesn't know. 

Screenshot_20240904_185559_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240904_185532_Gallery.jpg

I’ve never seen or received that health questionnaire.

At a certain number of days prior to departure, your documents will be available under the “documents” tab.  As I am many months away, that tab doesn’t currently even open.

Your TA should be calling Silversea and finding out about all this so she can advise you. And learn for future clients and bookings.

No, your boarding pass is not available on my Silversea, at least that is the case in the US. It will be emailed to your TA about a month pre-cruise. 
From your screen shot your guest information is complete so there’s nothing further for you to do just await your boarding pass from your TA. 
Don’t bother clicking or downloading, you’re done. 

And as I mention above, you don’t even need your boarding pass, just turn up at the terminal. Usually about 1pm is good, have your credit card and passport ready, and you’ll be fine.  Check which pier your ship is actually docked at with the MarineTraffic app. 
I believe luggage can be labelled by the porters at the pier but since I only travel with carry on, I can’t confirm that. 

PS Silversea always says boarding is 2pm - 4pm but turning up earlier generally works. I’m usually on the pool deck with the first champagne sometime about 1pm, often earlier. 

Edited by jollyjones
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jollyjones said:

No, your boarding pass is not available on my Silversea, at least that is the case in the US. It will be emailed to your TA about a month pre-cruise. 
From your screen shot your guest information is complete so there’s nothing further for you to do just await your boarding pass from your TA. 
Don’t bother clicking or downloading, you’re done.  

Hmmm. I leave in exactly a week from the US. I'll double check with my TA tomorrow.

I've never received what I think of as a boarding pass. If I'm feeling angsty I will print out the pdf we received by email around last week, just to prove I paid for the cruise and have a suite assignment. But having it on the phone also works.

There used to be a medical questionnaire via the my Silversea page. Now there are just a few questions under the "special requests" sections and you've probably already answered them. 

8 hours ago, FauxNom said:

I've never received what I think of as a boarding pass. If I'm feeling angsty I will print out the pdf we received by email around last week, just to prove I paid for the cruise and have a suite assignment. But having it on the phone also works.

There used to be a medical questionnaire via the my Silversea page. Now there are just a few questions under the "special requests" sections and you've probably already answered them. 

Oh good. That's what I have completed already, so that makes me feel a lot better.

This is what we got a month before the embarkation date, we printed it out but there's nothing in there you wouldn't already have. Just make sure to have booking # handy I guess? 

There were 3 pages of generic information. I've attached that as well.

Screenshot2024-09-05at9_07_56PM.thumb.png.06a9214d16d68070c58a6d39d78a6382.png

ACFrOgAlPRjoytPBuWMbCfH8--ZdnjW-zHz5KwZWrE0mkh2kGInBCB9smLUI3RzjudeXqRYVK477Nxs0YD_yIq7YeSghglACRSPCePHfZH9FPobMqQ6k7s678ukW89L-A-4fFbTpdmBWoTB0Eh5O.pdf

7 hours ago, GrumpySushiBear said:

This is what we got a month before the embarkation date, we printed it out but there's nothing in there you wouldn't already have. Just make sure to have booking # handy I guess? 

There were 3 pages of generic information. I've attached that as well.

Screenshot2024-09-05at9_07_56PM.thumb.png.06a9214d16d68070c58a6d39d78a6382.png

ACFrOgAlPRjoytPBuWMbCfH8--ZdnjW-zHz5KwZWrE0mkh2kGInBCB9smLUI3RzjudeXqRYVK477Nxs0YD_yIq7YeSghglACRSPCePHfZH9FPobMqQ6k7s678ukW89L-A-4fFbTpdmBWoTB0Eh5O.pdf 181.72 kB · 2 downloads

That is the boarding pass.

That is the only document you are going to get.

I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't think of it as a boarding pass when at the top it say 'Your Cruise Ticket'.

Yes, you will have most of the info already, but scroll down to the small print and you will find more info that you don't already have.

And of course the point of a ticket is not to show you information you already have, it's to show that information to other people who don't have it.

As I have said a couple of times, no you don't really need it as you usually don't need to show it to get into the secure area of the port but I always take mine just in case.

And yes, if you do need to show it, having it on your phone will work but I always try and avoid that as I don't want some official to grab my phone and put their grubby (and maybe infectious) fingers all over it - they never seem to be satisfied peering at a small phone screen without touching it.

Edited by jollyjones