PORTABLE HUMIDIFERS

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, CruisingGrandmaW said:

I don't know if you're aware - but a bank of cabins share the ventilation coming from heater & A/C.

Sorry, but this is just not correct.  Each cabin has three ventilation systems.

The first one is the one controlled by the cabin thermostat, and that one takes air from that one cabin, sends it over a cooling or heating coil, for that one cabin, and then returns the air to that one cabin, much like a window AC in your house.

The second one is the bathroom exhaust vent, which takes air from a bank of cabin bathrooms, but delivers it to the outside, it does not recirculate that air.

The third one is the fresh air supply system.  This brings in outside air, cools it or heats it, and delivers the air to a bank of cabins, but again, there is no recirculation of air, nor of co-mingling of air between cabins.

So, there is no transfer of air between cabins at any point in the system.  The only place that air from one cabin mixes with air from another cabin is out in the hallway, but this air is kept at a slightly lower pressure than inside the cabins, so that air always flows from the cabins into the hallways, and not the other way.

"Cruise crud" is mainly caused by the low humidity AC air drying out your sinus membranes, which are the first, and most effective, barrier against airborne pathogens.  Daily use of a saline nasal spray will typically prevent this.

As for surfaces in the cabin, cruise ship cabins are no less sanitary, or sanitized than hotel rooms, and governmental requirements tend to make them cleaner than hotels.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

On 8/21/2024 at 5:06 PM, CruisingGrandmaW said:

I don't know if you're aware - but a bank of cabins share the ventilation coming from heater & A/C.  So if the passengers in the adjoining cabin have a cold or God Forbid, CoVid.  Also many people get off the ship sick.  They've touched everything in your cabin which does NOT get thoroughly sanitized in-between passengers.

You may have a strong immune system - but many passengers esp the elderly do not.

"Cruise Crud" is a common ailment many passengers get on longer cruises.  I was one of them.  

I get the "cruise crud" most winter cruises and I am not elderly.  My allergies don't care for the drier air.