Spain day tours - Malaga to Granada ( Alhambra). A few questions.

11 hours ago, marazul said:

Granada has lots to see even if you don't get to the Alhambra. It is way more interesting than Malaga. Book that tour, but stay on the waitlist for the Alhambra.  Check at SB Square as soon as you board and see if they have any openings for the Alhambra.

I agree

I stayed in Granada some months ago. It was for three days and we never stopped to visit the city with all major monuments. Despite the size of the city it has a lot, lot, lot of things to do and to see. We just stayed in la Alhambra second day morning for 4 hours. And we had to miss a lot of monuments and sites to walk.

If Granada had a port, it would be a major call for all cruises.... but it is away from the sea.

So, if you go to Granada, try to visit Alhambra (booking mandatory)

If you cannot, the city remains with a lot of treasures and hidden gems

• Like 1

Thank you so much alsserod. And everyone else!
I am going to keep this booked excursion to Granada. I’ve spent a lot of time with this conundrum, and realized that DH and I always have a great time exploring new places. So however it turns out, we will make the most of it. Is Alhambra a key goal? It is. On the other hand, if Granada has so much to offer, we will enjoy what we experience, and not know what we missed. It won’t be the first time in a port that has happened!  Sometimes I just get too wrapped around the axel to see the forest for the trees! 

• Like 1

Hello Vineyard View,  We are having the same problem as you.  On Seabourn Ovation May 28th 2025 and the ship ex to Alhambra is sold out. We are on the waiting list and also registered with Spain Day Tours for the FIG (First In Group) awaiting for 9 others to join us.  To date we have only had one interested.  Now staring to get a bit anxious as looking for tours private or otherwise they are all booked out or a ludicrously priced.  We are staying on the waitlist with SB. Thanks for your posting and thanks to Marazul we will maybe also look at a tour in Granada.  

MsJB, I initiated a booking with Spain Day tours FIG last month, but I backed away from it because SB just doesn’t seem to have active roll calls. In fact, there isn’t one for our sailing. I don’t see it as a vehicle to gather a minimum of 12 people as on other lines, but maybe I am wrong and will start one. I truly have decided that I will purchase tickets for Alhambra ahead (too early to book now) as they aren’t expensive. If it works, that will be great, but if not - we will explore Granada for 5 hours and have a wonderful day! 
I am not sure I would have gotten there if not for the kindness, knowledge, and advice on these boards. I hope it is a great experience for you and yours, and you clear the list. 

Posted (edited)

@Vineyard View @MsJB

Here is how to get into the Alhambra from the city of Granada. Look at the schedules and buy your Alhambra and Nasrid Palace tickets ahead of time. The little train will get you in and it leaves you very near the Palace. I do hope you take the entire route so you can see some of amazing Granada.

Both sites are for the same train. There is additional info on each:

https://granada.city-tour.com/en/routes

https://www.lovegranada.com/transport/granada-tourist-train/

Edited by marazul
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
Host Bonjour
This post was recognized by Host Bonjour!

marazul was awarded the badge 'Excellent Advice!'

59 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Awesome marazul!  Thank you very much. So very appreciated. 

As an FYI….from what I can see, you can purchase entry tickets up to 3 months in advance. I have added the date to my calendar. 

Just a warning.  There are two "little train" stops inside the Alhambra.  The first one is Generalife - Taquillas (ticket office). Don't get out there. The second one is Alhambra - Puerta de la Justicia. This is the one you want.  It is at the heart of the complex and very near the Nasrid Palace.  Don't miss taking a look inside the Charles V Palace to see an amazing courtyard.

When you get out of the tour bus, go to the train stop closest to a stop going towards the Alhambra.  On the way out, if you are short on time, get out at the stop closest to the tour bus.  Hopefully, you can do the whole train route, but if not, take the shortcuts.

Find out at SB Square where the bus stop will be and plan your route.  Or ask on the SB CC board. or other social media board, to see if someone has taken the bus tour into Granada. 

We haven't taken the tourist train, but we have seen it in the city and at the Alhambra.  I also recall seeing taxis at the Alhambra. but can't recall where the taxi stands may be in the city since we have always driven in that area.  I hope this all works out for you if the tour to the Alhambra is not available.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1