Galveston Harbor House or Holiday Inn

sweetmommieof4

Which would you choose in Galveston? I already booked the Holiday Inn on the Beach. Found a better deal at the Harbor House. Which would you choose and why?:confused:

Hi Mommie! I'm trying to make the same decision. We arrive in Galveston quite late (11 p.m.) so we'll really only have the morning to enjoy the location . . . . I'm leaning toward the HI because we only get to the ocean when the moon turns blue.

So what time will you arrive at the hotel? FYI, there is a Rainforest Cafe near the HI where they do a nifty light/volcano show outside at the entrance (I think its every hour on the hour after dark). Its free and the kiddies will love it!

We love the Harbor House. You can leave your car there for the duration of the cruise. Once we had to pay extra but the last time it was free. You can walk to your ship. A big plus coming and going. Takes about 10-15 minutes and no traffic to deal with. They have a decent Continental Breakfast that will last until you get to lunch. You are across the street from the Strand, which is really a neat place to look around. It is a short drive to the gulf and the sea wall.

My family will be arriving around noon. We went to the Rainforest Cafe last time we were down there and my kids loved it. I'm pretty sure that we'll go back there this time. I went on ahead and cancelled the HI and booked the HH. I like the idea of being able to walk to the ship and not having to wait for a shuttle! Plus it was $35 cheaper.;)

You are really booking a unique property, Harbor House is built out on the docks next to Wille Gs and the Texas Seaport Museum with the tall ship Elissa. It will be a part of your cruise memories. Take the first exit on the island and follow Harborside around to 22nd St., turn left.

Enjoy Galveston

What does everyone else recommend?

We just booked Holiday Inn Sun Spree. Gonna enjoy the morning on the hotel balcony overlooking the ocean, drop luggage at the cruise terminal after check-out and then spend time on the Strand because Splendour doesn't sail until 6 p.m. and boarding time is 2 p.m.

But next time, and there will be a next time, it will be Harbour House! ;)

I'm so glad for these boards. I was having a heck of a time finding a hotel in Galveston for August and we have never been there so I was worried were to stay.I found the Harbor House and I hope it was the right decision it ooks like a nice property. We are staying two nights before our cruise. Thanks again everyone.

My daughter and son-in-law stayed at the HH last night (they're leaving on the Elation today) and were very pleased.

We first stayed at the HH in November '04 (we drove and left our car parked there during our 12 night cruise!) and since then I've recommended it to family and on this board.

HOWEVER, we are sailing next month and dropping a rental car off when we arrive. As Hertz is right across the street from Days Inn we decided to save about $70 and stay there for one night instead. We can drop the car off, walk over to the hotel and take a cab to the pier the next day. If we were bringing our own car, I would not hesitate to stay at HH again for the convenience of leaving our car there.

I asked my daughter to stop at the Days Inn to check it out. They went inside and talked to the person in the office and said I should have no qualms about staying there for one night. Everything looked clean and kept up. So that is our plan...as of now.

The walk should be easy with rolling suitcases. Terminal one is Carnival and Princess, terminal 2 is Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

Terminal 2 is further, but should be no problem. Or take the luggage down in your car, check it, park and walk back.

Yes, GCurry is right. Princess and Carnival seem to use the nearest terminal to HH. The day we sailed on the Galaxy, we had to pass the Grand Princess and, when we got back, we had to walk past the Ecstasy. Yes, it was a hike but doable. However, if you are sailing on the Grand or a Carnival ship you are much better off.

We are in our 60's and made the trek - each with a bag on wheels and a carry-on, but it was November, not July, and nice weather leaving and arriving. With other ships in port - especially the Grand! - the traffic was very bad so we were glad we didn't have to get in all that, even though we walked further than we're used to.

Yes, if walking is a problem or if you have a lot of baggage, you can definately drop your luggage off, go back to HH and park and walk to either of the two piers.

Our ship next month is the Splendour and I guess it will be from the same pier the Galaxy left from, but if we arrive by cab it won't matter.

I will repeat myself and tell those of you booked at the HH that it is a very nice hotel and that you made a good choice.

I will get back on here in May after our trip and report on Days Inn. I don't expect a HH but hopefully it will be a good, reasonable alternate.

We didn't ride the trolley when we were there. I've read that it costs $1 and runs across Galveston from the pier area to the Seawall side. If I were to be there a day, I'd definately give it a try. I haven't rode a trolley since I was a kid in the Bronx and so I think it would be fun and affordable. The Strand itself is in walking distance but we opted to eat in a restaurant right next door after we settled in. If I recall, the evening we arrived it was sprinkling a little and being November it got dark early.

I hope everyone who has posted has a wonderful trip and no cruise glitches!!!

Hola amigos,

We have been to Galveston four times and stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Beach the last two trips. Free Parking and shuttle service to and from the terminal. Rodney is the man to see. He drives one of the shuttles and makes sure that everything goes smoothly. I have seen good reviews on the Harbor House, but so far we have been happy with HI.

Archived