Hayhu Beach-Excellent!

cruisinfly

Hi,

I had an excellent experience at Hayhu Beach in Costa Maya in early July. This was a port stop while on the Harmony of the Seas. We were docked from 8 AM-5 PM with all-aboard time being 4:30 PM.

I made reservations direct with Hayhu via their website/e-mail and paid a $50 deposit (refundable if the ship didn't dock or conditions weren't good). I booked the "Beach and Jungle Getaway" (https://www.hayhubeach.com/day-pass/) for a total cost of $250. Two people are included at that price. Each additional person, up to 4 people, is an additional $50. The price included transportation to and from the port, two excellent loungers located on the beach under a pergola-like shade cover, and $100 in food/bar credit. Two sheet-like towels were included but I'm glad I brought my own. I could have used kayaks/paddle boards as well.

The transport folks communicated with us via e-mail and What's App messaging. We left the ship as soon as we were able and walked outside the port about a block past the exit gate. Our transportation was waiting with our name on a whiteboard. After a two minute wait, we were off in a local cab that Hayhu had arranged. The cab was air conditioned but not very well maintained (old and dirty). It was okay. The ride takes you through the backwoods of Costa Maya, potholed roads with large puddles that were like an obstacle course for the driver. You also got to see how sadly some of the locals live as you pass the makeshift structures they live in that cruise tours don't generally pass. There was very little traffic, just a couple of old motorcycles with locals, three to a motorcycle, and a cab returning from dropping off another couple at Hayhu. The ride to and from the port takes around 20-30 minutes and we got there just fine. We generally felt safe during the journey although we would have liked a better maintained vehicle. It was great to get off the beaten path, however. We left the port around 9 AM and arrived at Hayhu around 9:30 AM. They asked what time I wanted to return to the port so I requested 2:00 PM. Our cab returned right on time and we made it back to the port just before 2:30. I wish I could have stayed a couple more hours as we were having a great, relaxing time. We could have safely stayed another hour and still made it back to the port with time to spare.

Hayhu was beautiful. It's an "exclusive" beach resort in that you felt well cared for and there were no crowds. We had a lot of space and just the right amount of people at the beach resort with wide-open spaces. The water was clear and calm and sargassum was minimal. There was a small line of seaweed on shore that they cleaned up quickly, although they didn't really need to clean it up. It wasn't very much. We were taken to our own private, reserved sunbeds under a shade structure with two small tables. The sunbeds were made of sturdy wood, adjustable, with a cushion on it and a view of the beach/water. They have a bar/kitchen in a nice outdoor structure. They use shipping containers for some of their structure including the restroom. Their goal is "eco-friendly". The place is well maintained.

I had my own snorkel equipment and headed into the water to snorkel the barrier reef that stretches along Costa Maya. From the shore, it seems like a long way to the reef but once you head out in the water, it's not very far at all. The water is very shallow for the roughly 300-400 yards I went out with some coral heads occasionally poking above the water. The snorkeling was fun with with a lot of fish and worth it, but certainly not the best. We also hung out in the light surf enjoying the water along the sandy shore.

We used our $100 credit on multiple drinks, guacamole, and empanadas. The food/drinks were very good to excellent and we had more than enough credit to get what we wanted. You have wait staff that gets everything for you. I paid in cash at the end and left them a nice, well-earned tip.

Overall, this was my favorite port-day and one of the best beach experiences. There's always the risk of excess sargassum, wind, waves, and weather but these were not an issue for us. We could see the cruise ships docked way off in the distance to the north. Hayhu is in the "jungle" and there's not much in the area . It was quiet with no beach vendors to bother you. We brought insect repellant but did not need to use it.

I plan to return here next time we visit Costa Maya.

Let me know if you have any questions!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2024 at 3:15 PM, cruisinfly said:

The ride takes you through the backwoods of Costa Maya, potholed roads with large puddles that were like an obstacle course for the driver. You also got to see how sadly some of the locals live as you pass the makeshift structures they live in that cruise tours don't generally pass.

Are you saying they took the route along the coastal highway with potholes? I thought the route to Hayhu was generally out of town to the inland highway and then cut back towards the coast south of Maya Chan?

On 7/31/2024 at 10:47 PM, c-leg5 said:

Are you saying they took the route along the coastal highway with potholes? I thought the route to Hayhu was generally out of town to the inland highway and then cut back towards the coast south of Maya Chan?

The potholed road was closer to the city. We did eventually get to a higher quality, paved road, with higher speeds and less potholes. They did not take the coastal route.

The road full of potholes is labeled "C. Mantarraya" on Google Maps. The paved road is called "Ramal a Punta Herradura". It's the route Google Maps recommends when asking for directions from the port to Hayhu. 

Most of the route is fine, it's just a short stretch getting to the highway that's bad but you spend more time on that road due to slow speeds.