20-yr old cruising solo in Asia

Sujormik

My very bright niece is graduating college in December and beginning med school in July 2025. She wants to do a month or so in Asia, with an inside cabin she feels like she can get to a lot of locations this way.  I think she’ll be bored with elderly folks (because who else has time for a month of cruising but retired people) even though she’d get to see a lot of places.

Any thoughts I can share with her? Thanks.

1 minute ago, Sujormik said:

My very bright niece is graduating college in December and beginning med school in July 2025. She wants to do a month or so in Asia, with an inside cabin she feels like she can get to a lot of locations this way.  I think she’ll be bored with elderly folks (because who else has time for a month of cruising but retired people) even though she’d get to see a lot of places.

Any thoughts I can share with her? Thanks.

She might not care if she doesn't have any best buddies her age.  She may be cruising to SEE what she can of Asia without the distraction of planning every day herself.  She may be comfortable with her own company, interact with crew members, and enjoy chatting with people of any age at dinner, and will keep up with her contemporaries online.  At any age, I would not consider her plan to be anything other than terrific.  

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 7/29/2024 at 10:38 PM, Charles4515 said:

Most if not all cruise lines don’t allow anyone under 21 to travel solo. They must travel with someone over 21 or over.  

Unless she's Doogie Howser, chances are she's 21 or more since she's graduating from college. 😉 Oops, sorry - just noticed the title said she's 20.  This young lady sounds like a high achiever!

Sue/WDW1972

Edited by wdw1972

On 7/29/2024 at 10:20 PM, Sujormik said:

I think she’ll be bored with elderly folks (because who else has time for a month of cruising but retired people)

Does she care if she's cruising with a bunch of retired people?  Tell her that will be most of the passengers, and see if she cares.  When I was 20, I didn't want clubs, dancing, and drinking - that was just my personality.  I would have been just as happy chatting with old folk over cribbage, or reading in a lounge for hours, alone. 

• Like 1

I go on long vacations and I'm not retired. A number of people vacation and work remotely. They work off the ship by email, Zoom, etc. And you are assuming she will find all older folks boring, and that she is unhappy being alone. I've traveled alone for long periods and find I meet tons of people traveling, and I'm never bored. Its all in how you look at things. Encourage her to do activities on the ship and sign up for fixed dining. She will make friends and have a great time!

Our OP hasn't been back ... I think that Auntie doesn't want her to go for her own reasons, and expected support from us!  I remember having drinks with an English couple on a river cruise.  He was 91, she was 85; they were terrific company.  What possible difference does age make ... unless you are a nightowl and want activities into the wee hours.  

Had some connection issues, I do appreciate your comments! 

As a 20-yr old, she has changed her mind a few times over the weekend, now looking at G Adventures which is less expensive and mainly people 18-35!  She’s really lovely and would’ve been fine with all ages, I was curious about what the HAL people thought.  THANKS!

• Like 2

I would encourage her to look at Intrepid or Travel Talk. G Adventures talks a good game, but did awful things to their clients and staff during COVID. I had a tour to Morocco booked and they cancelled it two weeks before I was scheduled to go, and before the travel ban hit. They offered me a one year voucher which was not in the contract. So they tried to retroactively modify the contract, and I had to fight hard to prevent that. They abandoned clients all over the world and had their clients fly in and not let them know their tours were cancelled. They aren't A nice company!!!