Crystal advertised shore excursions

JerseyCarol1960

Hello Crystal Cruisers.

I love Crystal, and this is my first cruise with Crystal in four years. I am traveling with close friends. We are 10 in total. I was elected to set up the dining and excursions for our group! Yikes. It was not a problem until...

I found that the excursions that were advertised when we decided to book the Nov.27th-Dec11th Caribbean cruises were not available once reservations opened up.  It's such a big disappointment. Does this happen often with Crystal?  Why do they advertise these beautiful adventures and then not have them available?  The one listed on Dec 7th, The Onesco Biosphere Snorkel, said no times available.  Soo frustrating. We don't want to go to the Caribbean and sit in a minivan and drive around. That's all available unless we spend $400.00 per person to go to a resort.

Of course, we are excited to sail once again with Crystal. But I was looking forward to the excursions listed when we booked.

18 minutes ago, JerseyCarol1960 said:

Hello Crystal Cruisers.

I love Crystal, and this is my first cruise with Crystal in four years. I am traveling with close friends. We are 10 in total. I was elected to set up the dining and excursions for our group! Yikes. It was not a problem until...

I found that the excursions that were advertised when we decided to book the Nov.27th-Dec11th Caribbean cruises were not available once reservations opened up.  It's such a big disappointment. Does this happen often with Crystal?  Why do they advertise these beautiful adventures and then not have them available?  The one listed on Dec 7th, The Onesco Biosphere Snorkel, said no times available.  Soo frustrating. We don't want to go to the Caribbean and sit in a minivan and drive around. That's all available unless we spend $400.00 per person to go to a resort.

Of course, we are excited to sail once again with Crystal. But I was looking forward to the excursions listed when we booked.

I normally don't compare advertised tours with what is offered.  Only exceptions are on two cruises for two tours and they were offered. I am unsure if what you have experienced is a one off or not.

If you have not done so already maybe you could inquire with Crystal if they plan to offer the excursions that were advertised. You could also see if they plan to add times for the December 7 tour.

Their e-mail address is:  crystaldestinations@crystalcruises.com

Good luck with this.

We sailed with Crystal last year on three different cruises and thought it was better than ever.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I did reach out to Crystal.  They informed me the advertised excursions were not running tours that day. I don't think that is an acceptable answer.! 

I guess I am a new cruiser since it's been a few years, but I think moving forward, customers should know that the advertised excursions that sound so awesome are not always available once reservations open up.

We will try to book on our own.

• Like 2

I totally understand your feeling.  It's a catch 22...  Cruise lines or group operators can put a deposit down or make holds with tour operators whenever the tour operators let them, but the tour operator usually holds the right to confirm the actual operation of the tour (with bus/boat/seat quantities) until 30-90 days before the tour runs, since generally they rely on resources/charters to operate the tour that may or may not be ultimately available to them (transportation, boats, guides, etc.), and change continuously until you get closer to the event.

Crystal used to wait until everything was reconfirmed before they posted anything, and people complained that there wasn't enough information and they had no idea what was being planned.  New Crystal seems to have settled on posting what they have under deposit to give people a better idea of the type of tours that may be coming, but not opening reservations for the specific tour until it's confirmed with the operator.  Having seen this from both sides I get it, but I understand how it can also be disappointing when the specific tours you have your heart set on don't pan out.  😞 

Vince

• Like 5

JerseyCarol1960, I am glad to know that you did reach out to the land programs group about the excursions.  Hopefully, you will be able to find some excursions to book on your own  You probably have done this already but if not I find trip advisor to be a good source to find tour guides.  There are other sites such as toursbylocals and viator and sometimes have used them but if I can find the guides directly through sites sites as trip advisor I can bypass the middleman (woman).

Keith

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JerseyCarol1960 said:

Hi Keith,

I did reach out to Crystal.  They informed me the advertised excursions were not running tours that day. I don't think that is an acceptable answer.! 

I guess I am a new cruiser since it's been a few years, but I think moving forward, customers should know that the advertised excursions that sound so awesome are not always available once reservations open up.

We will try to book on our own.

Presuming you are looking to visit the Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve near Tulum, Mexico, a quick Google search turns up many blogs on how to visit on your own or with a tour.  You can also look for recommendations in the destination boards here on CC.com.