Bumped from Cunard Cruise

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Pushpit said:

Some features of my.cunard are only enabled closer to departure, such as Alternative Dining options. But things like bedding (twin versus king) can be chosen on the UK site after the deposit is paid.

The only thing I can't book for next April is alternative dining and that is understandable if the option hasn't been decided.

Everything else, is bookable on My Cunard. Same for other bookings later in the year.

Edit

'26 cruises have 'coming soon' when looking to book spa/excursions/alternative dining etc.

Edited by Victoria2

5 hours ago, Mareblu said:

I am so very happy that OP is now able to at least look forward to sailing, even with the inconvenience of having to move staterooms.  It's a small price to pay for the security of knowing you can once again feel that familiar, wonderful excitement that a future voyage brings.  I have resisted commenting until now, because so many kind people have offered comfort and advice to what seemed an insurmountable problem, but now that we seem to be casting aspersions about TAs when we really don't know the circumstances (I may have missed a point or two when scanning the pages) I feel compelled to make the following observations, as a fellow Australian who regularly books through a trusted TA of too many years to mention:

• Cruise reservation terms and conditions vary significantly from country to country.
  • In Australia, it is normal to pay fares through a TA, if using one, and the TA then forwards the amount to the cruise line.  Many people, of course, choose to book direct with the company.
  • I can never book tours, dining experiences, wifi packages, beverage packages, etc. through "My Cunard" until Cunard receives that final amount.  OP's experience of being able to do that the day after paying their TA the final amount assures me that the fault here is with Cunard Australia, unfortunately.  The fact that "My Cunard" became fully operational on that date is no coincidence.  It is, to me, through long experience, proof that Cunard received the OP's final payment.  It is not the most efficient, or organised, cruise company branch to deal with.  We've had several instances ourselves when dealing direct for minor items after our bookings have been confirmed. 
  • I have absolutely no doubt that as in any profession or industry, there are some inefficient, and even unscrupulous, TAs operating, but the vast majority, I believe, would be like our TA.  She is efficient, loyal, and operates as our Agent, always.  We have her private contact no. for use anytime when we are travelling, should we need her help.  I don't hesitate when DH and I agree a particular voyage looks enticing...I simply call our TA.

We love the Cunard experience, and all that it entails.  Onboard Cunard, however, is quite a different entity to Cunard on land, particularly here in Australia.

Enjoy your coming voyage.  Wishing you smooth seas and fair winds, @Nm hehappysailing     

I can access everything even with just deposit paid within a few hours of booking. I have no more access when I have paid final balance and twice total error on my part have been a day late with final payment  and no dramas. Always book direct though. 

36 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

The only thing I can't book for next April is alternative dining and that is understandable if the option hasn't been decided.

Everything else, is bookable on My Cunard. Same for other bookings later in the year.

In my case spa bookings can't be made more than 9 months out. Drink packages 12 months. Excursions 12 months. Gifts seem always available, along with bed and dining options.

6 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

In my case spa bookings can't be made more than 9 months out. Drink packages 12 months. Excursions 12 months. Gifts seem always available, along with bed and dining options.

You are right about the spa bookings. I missed that as I don't use the spa. As you say drink and excursions can be booked 12 mths in advance.

I won't be bothering with the drinks and will see how we feel abut excursions nearer the time. Luckily, none of them will be limited number so can book whenever, if ever.

Still seems a different scenario to the availability on My Cunard Australia and not really a level playing field if limited numbers for any excursions are involved such as sight seeing flights and the Fabergé museum in St Petersburg...not that sadly it will be an issue any time soon for folk.

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

seems a different scenario to the availability on My Cunard Australia

Is this a TA thing or a Cunard thing?

If you book direct with Cunard Australia (assuming that you can) then are you able to access MyCunard straight after booking in the same way that other countries are able to.

Thinking logically once you have paid your deposit then you will have an assigned booking reference but if, for whatever reason, Australian TAs withhold that from the customer until final payment then going through a TA will be at a disadvantage.

29 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

You are right about the spa bookings. I missed that as I don't use the spa. As you say drink and excursions can be booked 12 mths in advance.

I won't be bothering with the drinks and will see how we feel abut excursions nearer the time. Luckily, none of them will be limited number so can book whenever, if ever.

Still seems a different scenario to the availability on My Cunard Australia and not really a level playing field if limited numbers for any excursions are involved such as sight seeing flights and the Fabergé museum in St Petersburg...not that sadly it will be an issue any time soon for folk.

I agree. My first thought about the difference in systems was booking tours. I tend to book very early, so tours, etc may be available at that time. But once tours are posted, often well before final payment date, I am able to book tours. I keep watch for tours to show up when I know options will be limited. On my recent Alaska cruise, I had ticket number 1 for two of the three tours I booked. Alternative dining options show up later than tours, but I think I've booked that before final payment, too. 

In the U.S., at least, every time a booking is in any way altered, Cunard sends a new confirmation to the agent who then should forward it to you.  I am not sure if you can get these direct from Cunard if using an agent.  But Cunard certainly leaves a paper trail for what they do... either in response to you or your agent.  

Back in the old days, you could get a surprise collecting your ticket and Boat Train ticket at Cunard's old Berkeley Sq. office in London.  Like being downgraded from First Class to Tourist Class and winding up being in both on the way across.  But things are rather more easily communicated in 2024 than 1977.  And sadly, no more Boat Train direct to the ship's side, either. 

• Like 1

Back to despair again .

Despite the phone call on Monday morning with the good news of booking  mixed cabins across the 28 days , I’ve received no written confirmation or number, and now finally an apology email this morning that “things are happening in the background & they’ll let me know “  

😥

Is the email from your TA, or Cunard?  If from your TA, it sounds as if they are stalling and deflecting, and I respectfully suggest you contact Cunard, and ask to speak to someone in authority.  Reiterate a point by point synopsis of the issue, and politely but forcefully demand a favourable resolution to this terrible dilemma, which you have been placed in through absolutely no fault of your own.  In Australia, the mention of Consumer Affairs, or Ombudsman if there’s such an entity for cruising (I haven’t checked if there is an Ombudsman’s Office) usually gets prompt attention.  

• Like 1

I am so sorry this is dragging on! 

I agree, call Cunard. Tell them you would like to know what your new confirmation number(s) is/are so that you can sign in. Ask to speak to a supervisor, if necessary. When you call, does the phone menu offer the option to speak to someone at World Club? This line is supposed to be for diamond and (I think) platinum past passengers, and I know you aren't, but it might be worth a try. They are usually lovely, informed people. They won't be able to help you sort out the bookings, but they might be able to see if anything is booked in your name. 

Also keep calling the TA. Ask why they aren't giving you specifics. Okay, maybe not cabin numbers, as you're likely a guarantee on any cabin they've booked for you. But there should be confirmations number(s) for the segments that they've booked for you. 

In the US, I can't sign in to Cunard without having a confirmation number. Is it that way in Australia? (Holland America is much better about this. If I sign in to my account, they show me all the cruises I have booked without me needing the confirmation numbers. I wish Cunard did that.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Is the email from your TA, or Cunard?  If from your TA, it sounds as if they are stalling and deflecting, and I respectfully suggest you contact Cunard, and ask to speak to someone in authority.  Reiterate a point by point synopsis of the issue, and politely but forcefully demand a favourable resolution to this terrible dilemma, which you have been placed in through absolutely no fault of your own.  In Australia, the mention of Consumer Affairs, or Ombudsman if there’s such an entity for cruising (I haven’t checked if there is an Ombudsman’s Office) usually gets prompt attention.  

I tried calling Cunard late yesterday - the call centre for Australia is woeful and they keep telling me I have to speak to my TA. So I’ve just tried sending a long email to Cunard complaints form and a similar to MD of the travel agency . And yes they keep deflecting  

At the Elliott dot org web site you will find company contacts for Cunard.  Write, don’t call, so you have a paper trail.  Write to the first contact and briefly describe your problem.   What you want is to get that person to want to help you.  Don’t make threats as those are not designed to get that person to want to help you.  No answer?  Write to the second person and forward the first email with the comment, “i have not received the courtesy of a reply to my email, below.”

your story is that you booked and paid for a cruise.  For some reason, not your fault, things have gone awry.  You just want what you paid for.  The Elliott site has instructions on how to advocate for yourself.  

good luck. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, SoCalTraveler said:

At the Elliott dot org web site you will find company contacts for Cunard.  Write, don’t call, so you have a paper trail.  Write to the first contact and briefly describe your problem.   What you want is to get that person to want to help you.  Don’t make threats as those are not designed to get that person to want to help you.  No answer?  Write to the second person and forward the first email with the comment, “i have not received the courtesy of a reply to my email, below.”

your story is that you booked and paid for a cruise.  For some reason, not your fault, things have gone awry.  You just want what you paid for.  The Elliott site has instructions on how to advocate for yourself.  

good luck. 

Thank you - I’ll give that site a go . I obtained one directors name via LinkedIn but it’s hard to get the actual emails 

I moved to my desktop.  Here are the contacts, but reading the instructions on how to advocate your own case on the Elliott site will be helpful.  Note that the primary contact is in Valencia, a suburb of Los Angeles, while (or should it be whilst?) the other three are in England.  I don't think it makes a difference; any one of these four ought to have the authority to solve the problem if the problem can be solved.

Cunard executive  customer service contacts

Primary Contact
Nina Kass
V.P.  Customer Service
24303 Town Center Drive
Valencia, CA 91355
nina.kass@cunard.com

LinkedIn

Secondary Contact
Tanzin Choudhury
 Customer Relations Management ( CRM) Executive
Carnival House
100 Harbour Parade
Southampton, SO15 1ST
tanzin.choudhury@carnivalukgroup.com

LinkedIn

Megan Kenny
Senior Guest Support Representative
Office of Sture Myrmell, President, Carnival UK Carnival House
100 Harbour Parade
Southampton, SO15 1ST
megan.kennyh@carnivalukgroup.com or executive.correspondence@carnivalukgroup.com

LinkedIn

Chief Executive
Katie McAlister
Carnival House
100 Harbour Parade
Southampton, SO15 1ST
katiemcalister@carnivalukgroup.com

LinkedIn

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I would pick Nina Cass for primary email and then cc the email to the rest of the addresses  SoCalTraveler has kindly provided.

Bullet point each stage of your odyssey. 

It will be easier to read

Yes, I agree. These will be busy people who won't want to read a long email. The core message is that despite you paying in advance for your sailing, your TA has blamed an IT failure, such that your original booking and stateroom was cancelled due to missing Cunard's deadlines, through no fault of your own. There are some options for recovering, for example by changing cabins mid-route, but the TA still seems unable to resolve the matter. So try to keep it concise too, which won't be easy, but it means not giving a ball by ball commentary, focus on the damage and potential solutions.

• Like 4

At the moment we don't know who is at fault - whether it is the TA or Cunard so escalating up the Cunard chain at this point may be counter productive.

In my opinion pressure needs to be put on the TA to provide:

1. 1. An explanation as to what has happened.
  2. 2. What action they have/are taking to resolve this.
  3. 3. What the hold up is with resolving this issue.
  4. 4. Where is my money?
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, david63 said:

At the moment we don't know who is at fault - whether it is the TA or Cunard so escalating up the Cunard chain at this point may be counter productive.

In my opinion pressure needs to be put on the TA to provide:

1. 1. An explanation as to what has happened.
  2. 2. What action they have/are taking to resolve this.
  3. 3. What the hold up is with resolving this issue.
  4. 4. Where is my money?

OK

add more addresses in order to hopefully get a response...the TA and the company itself.

As no one knows where the glitch occurred I'm sure  Nm hehappysailing will not 'cast aspersion'. She just want some action.

• Like 4

I wonder if you shouldn't send the same email to the executives/owners of your travel agency.  In addition to the bulleted chronology described above you can point out that communications with the TA so far have been inadequate.  Politely insist on clarification - what happened, what is being done to fix it.  And where exactly is your payment - still in the bank account of the travel agency?  That should give you leverage to insist on a prompt resolution.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, alc13 said:

I wonder if you shouldn't send the same email to the executives/owners of your travel agency.  In addition to the bulleted chronology described above you can point out that communications with the TA so far have been inadequate.  Politely insist on clarification - what happened, what is being done to fix it.  And where exactly is your payment - still in the bank account of the travel agency?  That should give you leverage to insist on a prompt resolution.

as I said in #195 but I like your polite way of saying 'what the hell is happening'!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Pushpit said:

Yes, I agree. These will be busy people who won't want to read a long email. The core message is that despite you paying in advance for your sailing, your TA has blamed an IT failure, such that your original booking and stateroom was cancelled due to missing Cunard's deadlines, through no fault of your own. There are some options for recovering, for example by changing cabins mid-route, but the TA still seems unable to resolve the matter. So try to keep it concise too, which won't be easy, but it means not giving a ball by ball commentary, focus on the damage and potential solutions.

Nina’s email bounced as did all the others .i ended up calling Cunard complaints feedback & obtained a generic email address that goes to. Carnival Australia 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nm hehappysailing said:

Nina’s email bounced as did all the others .i ended up calling Cunard complaints feedback & obtained a generic email address that goes to. Carnival Australia 

Try sending again, but individually

Posted (edited)

and try this one

customerservices@carnivalukgroup.com

I have a named individual who was reasonably helpful for us years ago and I think she's still in customer services but don't feel comfortable naming her here so I have removed it.

I could send it via email to Hattie and maybe she can send it on to you?

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1