Ventura norovirus outbreak saw 519 cases at peak

kalos

Posted (edited)

Interesting reading here….

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/national-norovirus-and-rotavirus-surveillance-reports-2023-to-2024-season/national-norovirus-and-rotavirus-report-week-19-report-data-to-week-17-28-april-2024#:~:text=Overall up to week 17,increased further in recent weeks.

What stood out for me was the following: Of the outbreaks attributed to EVs, 99% were reported as suspected and confirmed norovirus outbreaks. Only 14% of reported EV outbreaks were laboratory confirmed as norovirus during the previous 5 seasons. 

It looks like as many have said that norovirus has been very widespread this year. Has P&O been harder hit? I cannot say. But with those figures coming out of the community it must be like playing King Canute, and then giving a sigh of relief that the tide has gone out again!

Edited by Sussexboy
Pressed the send button too soon!

4 hours ago, Sussexboy said:

Interesting reading here….

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/national-norovirus-and-rotavirus-surveillance-reports-2023-to-2024-season/national-norovirus-and-rotavirus-report-week-19-report-data-to-week-17-28-april-2024#:~:text=Overall up to week 17,increased further in recent weeks.

What stood out for me was the following: Of the outbreaks attributed to EVs, 99% were reported as suspected and confirmed norovirus outbreaks. Only 14% of reported EV outbreaks were laboratory confirmed as norovirus during the previous 5 seasons. 

It looks like as many have said that norovirus has been very widespread this year. Has P&O been harder hit? I cannot say. But with those figures coming out of the community it must be like playing King Canute, and then giving a sigh of relief that the tide has gone out again!

We had a gastro intestinal illness on Aurora in May.  Letters and other notices from P&O mentioned just that, no mention of norovirus at all.  I have always been very sceptical about the cause of most gastro intestinal outbreaks, after all if you became ill in the UK, or abroad on a hotel holiday, you would normally assume it was something you had eaten.

• Like 2