Quebec City and Montreal

lauriedun

Opinions please! We are taking a NCL cruise from New York to Quebec city in early September. We would like to spend some time in Quebec City, take the train to Montreal and explore before we catch a flight home. I have never been to Canada so need opinions on whether to spend more time in Quebec City or Montreal....or is there enough to see and do in both cities? Any recommendations welcome! Thanks!

How long are you planning to spend after the cruise? A day or two? A week? If you are planning on just a day or two, I'd strongly recommend that you spend them in Quebec City. If you are planning on spending a longer period of time, then by all means spend some time in Montreal as well. I've spent countless days in both cities, and even lived in Quebec City as a wee bairn. While my preference would be to spend your time in Quebec, both cities have a lot to offer.

https://www.quebec-cite.com/en

https://www.mtl.org/en

• Like 3

Are we helping?   Probably not.  We are likely going to sway back and forth.

I personally have spent more time in Montreal than Quebec City.  However, that being said, if I were planning a trip to both, I would spend more time in Quebec City.  History, ambiance, people, food....

Be warned however that Quebec City is much more French speaking than Montreal.  In Montreal you can get away with English mostly downtown, but in Quebec City when I most recently visited there were restaurants where the Servers did not speak English.  Shops the same.  

Go with the intent to practice your French.  This is not a negative, it is kind of like visiting parts of France and Paris.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2024 at 6:36 PM, lauriedun said:

Thank you everyone! We are staying 2 1/2 days in Quebec City and 1 day in Montreal. Can't wait!

I think that is a good plan.   If there are any hop-on/hop-off buses that is a good way to see lots of the city and you can get off and explore at various stops the bus makes.   A good way to see places and decide what you want to visit when you have more time.

If you have Google translate it could come in handy if you need it.