Bow tie optional?

karen of PA

We have sailed on most of the other popular cruise lines but this is our first Cunard cruise. We are booked on the Queen Elizabeth to Alaska and we will be celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. I have two formal outfits.  My husband has a black suit (not a tuxedo), white shirt, and a black tie (not a bow tie).  I really would like us to participate in the gala nights. It’s a real stretch for my husband to dress formally but he’ll do it for me! My question is, will we be turned away from the dining room because he is not wearing a bow tie? I don’t want us to be embarrassed. 

Thanks in advance for your replies.

You'll be fine. The dress code used to say "Black Tie Optional" which included dark suits and regular ties but has been dropped down to "elevated dress code".

• Like 1

He certainly will not be turned away, and it's not supposed to be a trial, it's supposed to be a good evening out (or rather in) for both of you. There will be other men dressed like that, and it doesn't have to be a black tie, though that's a good alternative to a bow tie. It can be a coloured or patterned tie if that looks better, it's the overall effect really. It's a formal night, sure, but what you have described has ticked the box. Hopefully you both enjoy the evening(s) and will be back for more. When he sees what you are wearing (and the competition!) he may then want to up his game.....

• Like 6

3 hours ago, karen of PA said:

My husband has a black suit (not a tuxedo), white shirt, and a black tie (not a bow tie)

My only observation about that combination is that it could make him look like an undertaker - go for a non black tie

• Like 3

4 hours ago, david63 said:

My only observation about that combination is that it could make him look like an undertaker - go for a non black tie

Well for the 1st formal night when I'm aboard the QM2 for the November 20th to December 3rd Caribbean Cruise, I will be wearing a double breasted Black suit with a White dress shirt and a Red neck tie, so Karen of PA husband as a suggestion from me could wear a Red neck tie instead of a Black neck tie and the Black suit will be fine.

42 minutes ago, Cruise Liner Fan said:

Well for the 1st formal night when I'm aboard the QM2 for the November 20th to December 3rd Caribbean Cruise, I will be wearing a double breasted Black suit with a White dress shirt and a Red neck tie, so Karen of PA husband as a suggestion from me could wear a Red neck tie instead of a Black neck tie and the Black suit will be fine.

Especially if the theme is Red and Gold. 

Happy 50th!! We sail QM2 in 19 days celebrating our 40th anniversary. My husband will also be wearing a black suit with white dress shirt. For black and white night, he purchased a black bow tie/vest/pocket square set. He already had the suit so we just didn't see the need to purchase a tuxedo. He's actually excited about wearing a bow tie! And the vest will be nice if he removes his jacket after dinner. Enjoy your voyage!

1 hour ago, RK-NC said:

with white dress shirt

This is not a criticism but an example of the difference between UK and US terminology and the image that it can create. In the UK a "dress shirt" is something that you would wear with a tuxedo (yet another US terminology) whereas in the US it is what in the UK we would term a formal shirt.

15 hours ago, karen of PA said:

. We are booked on the Queen Elizabeth to Alaska and we will be celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. I have two formal outfits.  My husband has a black suit (not a tuxedo), white shirt, and a black tie (not a bow tie).  

If your husband wears a black suit, not a tuxedo white shirt with a black necktie, not a bow tie, my personal opinion is that it looks too much like attending a funeral.  A brighter necktie would be a better option in my opinion.

Regards John

2 hours ago, david63 said:

In the UK a "dress shirt" is something that you would wear with a tuxedo (yet another US terminology) whereas in the US it is what in the UK we would term a formal shirt.

Interesting. I have also heard that vest = waistcoat. 

Excuse me butting in, but March 25 will be my first Cunard cruise, although I have cruised with other lines. My question is - on a themed night (red/gold black/white etc) how strictly is the code enforced and how far in advance is the theme known?

Many thanks

Just now, Ichabod123 said:

Excuse me butting in, but March 25 will be my first Cunard cruise, although I have cruised with other lines. My question is - on a themed night (red/gold black/white etc) how strictly is the code enforced and how far in advance is the theme known?

The theme is not and has never been enforced. Some themes are only vaguely followed by say a high percentage of ladies, and most men stick to the same dinner jacket routine as they would follow for other gala nights. On the Queens Room dance floor you may see a higher take up of the theme. You can find out the theme at least a few weeks in advance via my.cunard / calendar or you can use bluemarble's thread in this forum.

5 hours ago, Ichabod123 said:

Many thanks

Experiencing those themes on September 2022, quite a number of passengers enjoyed coordinating with the theme on those Gala Evening during the Canada/New England sailing.

I was happy to see so many passengers a biting by the themes which also included Masquerade Evening and another Gala that was unthemed. That unthemed one was mostly a return to Black & White.

Your could find the themes for your particular sailing by signing on your Mr Cunard Booking Site and go to the My Calendar. It will tell you the Dress Code for each of the days our your sailing.

ex, Smart Attire, Gala or (Name of the Theme Evening Name. I think on another thread your mentioned, you should I believe 2 Theme days.

There is also a thread with a link designating 2025 Dress Code for each sailing passengers have been sharing.  

On 8/4/2024 at 3:45 AM, david63 said:

go for a non black tie

One of the theme nights will be Ice White, where the suggested colors are white, silver, and blue. The other night will probably be Masquerade, which does not have a color theme. For that one I just bought a mask from Amazon that matched a tie I liked. But you don't have to wear one.