Afternoon Tea at Reid's Palace Hotel - or not

Hello,

When sailing times allow I take Tea at Reid's - direct and not by a ship's excursion. I have just booked for this September but noticed a couple of changes.

Firstly the booking was taken via a third party called SEVENROOMS whose acknowledgements now require a 48 hour notice of cancellation and, secondly, the imposition of a 'penalty fee' of €50 pp if you fail to do so. Initially I thought the €50 'penalty fee' was a bit steep compared to the €39 cost of Afternoon Tea last year, but, no, that is the cost this year of Afternoon Tea (a glass of Moet is an extra €28). The increase is probably to pay the cost of employing SEVENROOMS that will probably only tell Reid's what they already know.

I have pointed out that for cruise passengers, we might not have the opportunity to give 48 hours notice because of adverse weather or medical emergency diversions delaying or even cancelling our arrival and asked for a re-think or special consideration. Two such requests have gone unanswered.

In the absence of Reid's response, here are two (or three) other options.

The Ritz is in down-town Funchal. A BIG plus is it's on the flat and can be achieved on foot. Afternoon Tea is only €35 and includes a glass of wine

(including something sparkling).

The Savoy Palace (and Royal Savoy but only for Sundays) are both about halfway to Reid's and less of a hike. Afternoon Tea is €40 and a glass of Champagne is an extra €18.

I have no experience of either, but if anyone does then their input would be helpful.

If I *DO* hear anything more from Reid's/Belmond, I will keep you updated.

Regards,

Cublet.

3 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Hello,

Many thanks for that.

I did look at The Cliff Bay but after a while didn't know what, or where, I was looking. The name is too much like a hotel I stayed in (but now closed) in Torquay.

So looking afresh: Have you experienced it? I wondered whether the à la carte offering, despite the cost, is better than the table d'hôte.

I see no mention of it, but do they have a dress code? I've seen it enforced a Reid's where they asked a guest to sit inside and not on the terrace.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Many thanks for that.

I did look at The Cliff Bay but after a while didn't know what, or where, I was looking. The name is too much like a hotel I stayed in (but now closed) in Torquay.

So looking afresh: Have you experienced it? I wondered whether the à la carte offering, despite the cost, is better than the table d'hôte.

I see no mention of it, but do they have a dress code? I've seen it enforced a Reid's where they asked a guest to sit inside and not on the terrace.

Regards,

Cublet

I haven't personally experienced it but have some friends who raved about it, it gets some great reviews in TripAdvisor as well. I will certainly try it when I get there next.

If you search the reviews with the key words "afternoon tea" in the search box it will filter all the relevant reviews.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g189167-d229301-Reviews-Hotel_The_Cliff_Bay-Funchal_Madeira_Madeira_Islands.html#REVIEWS

EDIT: Forgot to say, I believe the dress code is a relaxed smart casual, only the Michelin restaurant has a strict policy.

Edited by ziggyuk

5 hours ago, cublet said:

In the absence of Reid's response, here are two (or three) other options.

The Ritz is in down-town Funchal. A BIG plus is it's on the flat and can be achieved on foot. Afternoon Tea is only €35 and includes a glass of wine

(including something sparkling).

I would say you are comparing Apple's and Oranges, but would actually say it is more comparing Apple's and Turnips!

The Ritz is 'fine' but it is no Reids...

Definately apples and oranges.  We have stayed at the Royal Savoy ( a few years ago - the Palace wasn't built) and whilst its a nice enough hotel its not anywhere close to being as exclusive as Reids Palace.

22 hours ago, cublet said:

Firstly the booking was taken via a third party called SEVENROOMS whose acknowledgements now require a 48 hour notice of cancellation and, secondly, the imposition of a 'penalty fee' of €50 pp if you fail to do so. Initially I thought the €50 'penalty fee' was a bit steep compared to the €39 cost of Afternoon Tea last year, but, no, that is the cost this year of Afternoon Tea (a glass of Moet is an extra €28). The increase is probably to pay the cost of employing SEVENROOMS that will probably only tell Reid's what they already know.

It is usually better to book direct with the supplier (in this case Reids) than through a third party, because, as you have discovered, third party cancellation policies are not usually good for cruise passengers due to the uncertainty of potential late arrivals or the ship not making the port call.. There are many threads discussing the use of third parties and the pros and cons of booking through them.

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

It is usually better to book direct with the supplier (in this case Reids) than through a third party, because, as you have discovered, third party cancellation policies are not usually good for cruise passengers due to the uncertainty of potential late arrivals or the ship not making the port call.. There are many threads discussing the use of third parties and the pros and cons of booking through them.

Hello,

For years I used to book direct with a named individual but she has left/retired.

Regards,

Cublet

There is some misinformation in the first post.

Sevenrooms isn't a third party, its a restaurant booking software system similar to Top Table, togo etc.

The hotels use this platform rather than run their own booking system.

Hello,

third party, noun : a third person or organisation less directly involved in a matter than the main people or organisations that are involved.

I think that is what you have just described?

Regards,

Cublet

2 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

There is some misinformation in the first post.

I agree.  The OP cublet, said

Firstly the booking was taken via a third party called SEVENROOMS

and I, mistakenly as it turns out, took this to mean a third party company  such as  Viator and other similar third party companies who take bookings for experiences and tours supplied by others, but do not themselves  provide tours and/or experiences, instead making their money by charging the actual providers  a commission for passing the booking on to them.

We also have these software dining booking companies here, "Open Table" being one of the better known,  and as  they are not the same as "third party vendors".please ignore my post #7. Thank you.