What's your favorite older ship?

kad56

And why? 

I've seen a ton of info on the new class of ships, but I'm finding it harder to figure out which older ships are nice. I like clean, well-maintained ships where I might find a quiet spot when I want to retreat from the fun. A nice serenity deck....

Why the Pride? I've heard that it's probably the best loved ship of the Spirit class ships, but why do people like it better than the others?

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, kad56 said:

Why the Pride? I've heard that it's probably the best loved ship of the Spirit class ships, but why do people like it better than the others?

It might be in part due to a toned down decor. The dining room is actually quite beautiful. We've not yet sailed Legend or Spirit but do love Pride, especially over the Miracle. She's had the Lido big screen for a number of year too; Miracle gets one in her upcoming dry dock. And with all Spirits, the aft Serenity plus the very large and nicely appointed Red Frog are aimed right at our cruising style. Plus she takes us to very cool places!

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1

I'm also a really big fan of the Sunshine Class, most particularly Sunrise. I'd avoid them during periods of maxed out passenger loads but during off peak times they are wonderful modestly sized but very well appointed ships with plenty of bells and whistles.

• Like 1

So Sunshine is great because of the Serenity but the Limelight is terrible (as said in my best Charles Barkley voice). They did a good job improving the design by spinning it 90 degrees on Sunrise and Radiance. It's still not perfect but much better given the space constraints.  That said, I like all 3 boats. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Elation, Sunshine and Pride. I would probably try Sunrise again during an off peak time. 

What do you like about the Elation?

Elation, she is old but extremely beautiful giving thoughts of a time gone by with the wood banisters and accents.  She is showing her age but is still majestic in her own right.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, john91498 said:

Still one of my favorite ships. Mainly, because she's so unique as the only ship in her class.

I've been on her once many years ago.  I get another shot in less than 2 months. What I really remember is the pink. Like everywhere! I'll have to reconsider the Concordia Class now that I've cruised extensively.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, UGACamper said:

Sunshine's Serenity is the best in the fleet that I've experienced.  Agree that Spirit Class ships have the best layout and the prettiest Steakhouse.

Where will the Sunshine be between the end of December and February when it moves to Norfolk?  Does it get a refresh?

19 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Where will the Sunshine be between the end of December and February when it moves to Norfolk?  Does it get a refresh?

Apparently, dry dock. I found this online:

The Carnival Sunshine's next dry-dock is currently scheduled for 1/4/2025 - 2/15/2025, according to GoCCL. The scope of work for the 2025 dry-dock is not yet announced. The Carnival Sunshine last went to dry-dock from 10/21/2021 - 11/08/2021 according to GoCCL. During this dry-dock the ship received the new red, white, & blue hull paint scheme and routine hotel maintenance according to GoCCL. 

My favorite class of ship is the Spirit Class.  I've cruise the Pride twice -- both 7-day cruises, and the Miracle twice so far -- an 11-day and a 10-day cruise.  Coming up this Fall are two more cruises on the Miracle -- a 15-day and a 9-day.  So, 59-days total is proof of my fondness of Spirit Class ships.

We also enjoyed the Glory -- we think the Glory's Serenity Deck is nicer than the Spirit Class ships' Serenity deck.

Years ago, we cruised on the Victory, now the Radiance.  No strong likes or dislikes... fun ship.

5 hours ago, kad56 said:

I like the decor, the layout, and I've been on it the most! We live within 3 hours of Baltimore, which has been its homeport for the warm seasons for many years.

• Like 1

My favorite class of Carnival ship would have to be the Spirit class, by far. Just love the layout and the low passenger capacity. Everything seems to flow very well on this class. 

But my favorite older ship specifically would be Carnival Paradise. I love the “ocean liners of the past” theme. The Queen Mary lounge is probably my favorite venue in the fleet. The decor on the Paradise all around is just beautiful (in my opinion). With each venue themed after a famous ocean liner. Also there is still something about walking into those Fantasy class atriums that still make my jaw drop. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, john91498 said:

Still one of my favorite ships. Mainly, because she's so unique as the only ship in her class.

Yes. Kind of a Conquest/Dream combo. Dream class

comedy club which is my favorite. Serenity in the aft pool area. And they added a nice big RFP a few

years ago. The downside to that is they didn’t have any of the TVs hooked up to sports and they used it for karaoke a lot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kad56 said:

Apparently, dry dock. I found this online:

The Carnival Sunshine's next dry-dock is currently scheduled for 1/4/2025 - 2/15/2025, according to GoCCL. The scope of work for the 2025 dry-dock is not yet announced. The Carnival Sunshine last went to dry-dock from 10/21/2021 - 11/08/2021 according to GoCCL. During this dry-dock the ship received the new red, white, & blue hull paint scheme and routine hotel maintenance according to GoCCL. 

Thanks!  I looked all over CC and the net and could not find anything.  Six weeks is a long time to have her out of service.  Hopefully Carnival will do a major overhaul.  It did not look like Sunshine had been touched in awhile when I was on her last March.  I have friends that could easily take it out of Norfolk, but was hesitant to recommend until it gets updated. 

That would be good. She's a unique design and my hope is that she's in Carnival's plans at least for the medium term. I'd like a chance to sail on her again sometime. It will be nice if she gets some 'exotics' when the 2026 and beyond itineraries come out.