Dining attire on Nieuw Amsterdam on dressy and regular nights

Hello All--

I have researched and can't find my answer.  I thought that I read previously that attire at dinner is more casual on an Alaskan cruise than normal...generally just what people wear on excursions.  Is this true?  What about dressy nights?  Cocktail dresses and suit jackets or regular "nice" clothes?  Trying to figure out for my group. 😁

Thanks.

Dawn

3 minutes ago, GA_Traveler said:

Hello All--

I have researched and can't find my answer.  I thought that I read previously that attire at dinner is more casual on an Alaskan cruise than normal...generally just what people wear on excursions.  Is this true?  What about dressy nights?  Cocktail dresses and suit jackets or regular "nice" clothes?  Trying to figure out for my group. 😁

Thanks.

Dawn

Just home and would note very few suits, a few dresses. Short sleeved polos, lots of ladies in slacks, overall very casual.

• Like 1

I take "nicer" tops to wear in the MDR on regular nights, but "dressy" tops for formal (or dressy) nights.  I never wear excursion gear in the MDR unless it's unavoidable.  Minimum requirement on dressy nights in the MDR is a polo or collared shirt and slacks or nice jeans for men.  No shorts or T-shirts.  You might see a few men in a jacket, but not many.  Fewer and fewer people actually take suits and gowns any more. We finished a 14-night AK last week and never saw a suit or gown at all.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/faq/onboard-cruise-experience/dining/is-there-a-dress-code

"Is there a dress code?

Answer: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads: 

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

Dressy Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants. 

The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant..."

Bon appetit!

Edited by ShipWalker

4 hours ago, GA_Traveler said:

Hello All--

Thanks.

Dawn

We just got off Nieuw Amsterdam 14 days on July 28th, we are five star marniers so have cruised many days, I must say that was the most relaxed clothing wise cruise we have ever been on.  We have been 8 times on HAL to Alaska.  Most of these cruisers were first or second HAL cruisers.  80% of the people did not attempt to dress up at all, even in the MDR. 

14 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

We just got off Nieuw Amsterdam 14 days on July 28th, we are five star marniers so have cruised many days, I must say that was the most relaxed clothing wise cruise we have ever been on.  We have been 8 times on HAL to Alaska.  Most of these cruisers were first or second HAL cruisers.  80% of the people did not attempt to dress up at all, even in the MDR. 

Agree, most casual ever, even for Alaska. We had early upstairs but didn't see much of downstairs "open dining". Breakfast and to some degree , lunch in the MDR was backpacks, shorts, baseball caps.  However, on our 39 day NZ, Austrailia, South Pacific and Hawaii the table next to us had a guy who wore a short sleeved polo on every Gala Night, so you can see where the dress code is going!

So per HAL’s dress code explanation, tee shirts are now acceptable for regular nights in the MDR and a collar is only required on dressy nights?

I can’t believe we have really dropped to this level…..

• Like 3

Actually, there is NO "dress code", it is "suggested attire".  And yes, just as in every single segment of society, things have become much more lax, and will continue to do so.  There will be no return to the formality of dining (especially when some cruisers are determined to dine "in under an hour). However, it is my perception that MOST cruisers make an effort to dress nicely (not dressy, just nicely) in the evenings, and it's a minority who could care less.  And yes, they tend to stand out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, julia said:

Actually, there is NO "dress code", it is "suggested attire".  And yes, just as in every single segment of society, things have become much more lax, and will continue to do so.  There will be no return to the formality of dining (especially when some cruisers are determined to dine "in under an hour). However, it is my perception that MOST cruisers make an effort to dress nicely (not dressy, just nicely) in the evenings, and it's a minority who could care less.  And yes, they tend to stand out.

Agree. Many do try, at dinner at least. Depends a lot on the cruise, though. In Alaska we had a couple (25 years old approximately) who wore their outdoor coat/hoodie through the whole meal on Gala night. They did stand out but they did not seem

concerned.

We cruise quite a bit people mostly attempt for at minimum a smart casual look, it was just Alaska, people came in MDR looking like they just spent the day outside, running shoes, cargo pants, t-shirts, you could tell they were very comfortable and probably were even unaware of dressing up, these were on the dressy nights as I like to go to MDR for Escargot's. We did eat in Tamarind twice and people there did make an attempt.  .  

• Like 1

On 8/7/2024 at 12:01 PM, GA_Traveler said:

Hello All--

Thanks.

Dawn

Have taken 4 Alaska Cruises and will confirm much more casual. On most cruises I bring a suit or sports jacket, but on our last cruise I used them half the time. First formal night and dinner at one of the restaurants.

If packing is an issue, I would leave suits or jacket at home. We have an upcoming cruise in two weeks out of Vancouver and will be leaving my sports jackets at home. Four of are driving to the port and luggage space is in short supply, one carry-on bag each. I would rather take up space with cloths I can layer since Alaska weather can change rapidly. Have seen it go from 80"s to 30's in a 24 hour period. "Nice clothes" will be fine.

• Like 2