Malta, Morocco & Med excursions questions

stu52

48 minutes ago, Hazel52 said:

I heard back from the Algerian consulate. 

Here's what I wrote:

We will be in Algiers for one day only, arriving via Viking Saturn Cruise Ship. Tuesday, December 10, 2024. My understanding is that Viking will get an all ship visa that would apply for those of us on a Viking excursion. My question: if we decide to explore on our own, or through a local tour operator would that same visa be valid? Or... would we have to apply for a visa ourselves?

and here is their response:

Hello

as long as you are traveling with a cruise ship you don't need a visa for your staying in Algiers. But if you are planning to visit Algeria on your own you have to get a tourist visa from our consulate.

for more information feel free to visit our website visa section / tourist visa.

you can apply for a visa two months before your trip.

Best regards

We've just decided to do 2 excursions with Viking and be done with it.

deb

Dear Deb,

Where in the letter did Viking tell us their visa is only for Viking excursions?

—May B Muriel

Posted (edited)

Sounds like somebody needs to write to TellUs with the text of the Viking letter and ask if the visa only applies to being on a Viking excursion, or if it is valid for self exploration or third party tours.

I’m interested too as we are on this cruise in March. I’d inquire myself but I didn’t get the letter.

The Algerian consulate is vague because we all qualify as “traveling with a cruise ship.” But we don’t know if that means self exploration.

Edited by LindaS272

3 hours ago, May B said:

Dear Deb,

Where in the letter did Viking tell us their visa is only for Viking excursions?

—May B Muriel

It doesn’t, that’s my frustration, hence our decision to sign up for Viking excursions. Once on board, perhaps we’ll get a definitive answer and can change things around. For those on the cruise before ours (we’re December 1st) perhaps they can guide us. Otherwise we shall post what we find out.

3 hours ago, May B said:

Dear Deb,

—May B Muriel

P.s. letter was not from Viking, it was from the Algerian consulate.

16 hours ago, Hazel52 said:

P.s. letter was not from Viking, it was from the Algerian consulate.

I saw that. They were responding to your letter, where you claimed Viking told you the Viking visa would apply for all of us on a Viking excursion. I wanted to know where you saw that. The answer, if I’m understanding you correctly, is that you saw it here on Cruise Critic.

1 hour ago, May B said:

I saw that. They were responding to your letter, where you claimed Viking told you the Viking visa would apply for all of us on a Viking excursion. I wanted to know where you saw that. The answer, if I’m understanding you correctly, is that you saw it here on Cruise Critic.

I did a live chat with them. Sorry, I posted that earlier - or maybe that was in our roll call. The email we got from Viking just reiterated that they would get the visa, and for us to please not apply for one ourselves, but Viking did not address wether the visa would apply to independent excursions/explorations.

13 minutes ago, Hazel52 said:

I did a live chat with them. Sorry, I posted that earlier - or maybe that was in our roll call. The email we got from Viking just reiterated that they would get the visa, and for us to please not apply for one ourselves, but Viking did not address wether the visa would apply to independent excursions/explorations.

I do think I remember about the live chat. I think that was when you said, now it’s clear why they call rather than emailing. (Because, honestly, I have to label them clueless, from my own one experience. What they did well was call back fairly promptly. What they did poorly was exhibit any actual knowledge.)

We actually booked four things in Algiers. In the a.m., I booked the included Impressions and Mr B booked the WWII. In the afternoon, we both booked Treasures.

I’m excited with so many of our planned excursions. 

Btw, let me tell you all that from start to finish, it took us exactly ten minutes to book a total of 18 excursions. Thirteen are included, five are paid.

We did them in the order we thought they were more likely to sell out, and we were absolutely correct. One showed unavailable, but we went back after our next booking and it was there for us to book. Mr B said, why do you think that happened? I said, I have no idea.

We planned private in two places. One is confirmed, the other (Alhambra with Spain Day Tours) awaits further bookings.

4 hours ago, D. Fledermaus said:

Yes I would like this. Which ship you recommend?

You would like the MMM? Or, we call it the Triple M. 

All the ships are basically the same, and anyway, I think if you want this itinerary, you don’t get a choice of ships. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic! You look so familiar … but I am having trouble wrapping my head around where you are from. NYC and Australia I understand, but also Vienna? I … oh! Did your auto-correct turn Austria into Australia?

And last but not least, are you a fan of opera … or of bats?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Can you please tell me how much that one is?  TIA. 

I went to look, but myvikingjourney is down right now. Let’s see how my memory serves me. I think it’s $109 pp. When I’m able to log in again, I’ll let you know.

4 hours ago, D. Fledermaus said:

Yes I would like this. Which ship you recommend?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Viking ships are all almost identical, except for Vela and Vesta (first ships of the second class of ships that Viking will build). You can read about the ships on the Viking website. 

Multiple ships will be sailing this itinerary over the next few years and it really doesn't matter which ship you choose.  More important will be to chose when you want to travel. 

14 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Can you please tell me how much that one is?  TIA. 

Bigosh, my memory was correct! Treasures of Algiers is $109 pp.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, D. Fledermaus said:

All much beige I am told.

With gorgeous blues, offsetting the beige perfectly.

Usually I don’t notice the colors, but any combination of blue and brown to me is pure heaven. No wonder I like Viking!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, May B said:

With gorgeous blues, offsetting the beige perfectly.

Usually I don’t notice the colors, but any combination of blue and brown to me is pure heaven. No wonder I like Viking!

I can still visualize my first VO trip in 2016…. And my reaction to the beautiful clear blue glasses and plates acting as “suncatchers” to offset the light/bright Scandinavian decor.

image.thumb.jpeg.2dc15ed1bbfec9facbf7ee644fc4304f.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

I can still visualize my first VO trip in 2016…. And my reaction to the beautiful clear blue glasses and plates acting as “suncatchers” to offset the light/bright Scandinavian decor.

image.thumb.jpeg.2dc15ed1bbfec9facbf7ee644fc4304f.jpeg

That looks like it’s right near where we sat, all but two nights on our first Viking Ocean last June.

Here’s one of my many photos! That’s a gorgeous hunk of halibut, I believe.

image.thumb.jpeg.78aa288897759320d115b7af88eea954.jpeg

Edited by May B