Lady_K

Okay, hopefully I get these right :D

Holiday Class includes the Holiday, Jubilee, and Celebration

Spirit Class includes the Spirit, Pride, Legend and Miracle

Fantasy Class includes the Fantasy, Sensation, Paradise and Ecstasy

Destiny Class includes the Destiny, Triumph, and Victory

Conquest Class includes the Conquest, Glory and Valor

I'm sure I'm missing a few....

And no, they are not all the same in layout and size... you can look on Carnival's website and see the deckplans and layouts of each.

GC, I am shocked that you would fail to mention the Elation on your Fantasy-class list! Not excited about the TOE cruise anymore?? ;)

FYI to everyone, other Fantasy-class ships are Imagination, Inspiration, Paradise, and my favorite, the aforementioned Elation. The new Liberty is a Conquest class ship.

The Spirit class ships are about 88,000 tons, the Destiny class ships are 100,000 tons, and the Conquest class ships are about 110,000 tons. With that, it is far easier to fit more passengers on the Conquest class ships. They really are quite awesome to see. Just be prepared to deal with more people......Oh, well. Any day at sea is better than a day on land!!!!

I had not looked up the tonage in awhile. I was going by memory and mine is not so good anymore. I have not been on a destiny class ship so I know nothing about them but if it is bigger the the spirit class I have no interest really. So the Disney Wonder is actually bigger then the spirit class. It did not seem bigger. I am not sure why but that ship felt cosier to me and I liked that. Maybe it is all the room in the staterooms on that ship. The staterooms were super nice.

Anyway by your post the conquest ships are actually over 20,000 tons bigger then the spirit ships. I still say how could they cost the same to build?

GC, I am shocked that you would fail to mention the Elation on your Fantasy-class list! Not excited about the TOE cruise anymore?? ;)

FYI to everyone, other Fantasy-class ships are Imagination, Inspiration, Paradise, and my favorite, the aforementioned Elation. The new Liberty is a Conquest class ship.

Both of you forgot the Fascination. The one thing I did like about being on the Inspiration was it was laid out just like the Fascination( minus those "movie star" mannequins) I could find everything easily. Miracle though was a much prettier ship even with the "pink" grapes in the dinningroom that so many of you hated.

There is not a big difference in price in building these ships (at least within the cruise lines... I know the QM2 was 800 mill). Bottom line and the point I was making was that if you have an average of 1500 more people on board each week, as you do on a Conquest class(3700 to 2200), there is a whole lot more potential to make money on that ship. So in this case, bigger is better.

I just did a check on a website of ships released and the Miracle (Spirit class) was $375 mill and the Liberty (Conquest) is $400 mill.

Maybe 25 million is not alot for you but I will take it-nice pocket change as far as I'm concerned.

I like the spirit class ships so I will probally book on one of them again. No Glory or Conquest in my future. I imagine after doing the Mariner on RCCL I won't want to go on another voyager class either-I guess it depends on how much I like the promanade and the Ice skating show. We are booked in an atruim cabin which is supposed to be 162 square feet-it looked a decent size in the picture.

I know that on the fanasty class ships whether you get an oceanview or an inside cabin-the cabins were a decent size (we had an inside on the Fascination and oceanview on the Inspiration) and the shower was even bigger then the Miracle's extended balcony shower.

I am considering booking a little cruise on Holiday this spring. cotton says it is a decent ship and she has been on Pacific Princess like me. Now THAT was a small ship but I still liked it-I would just love a small cozy ship that was new with a choice of booking a balcony without booking a suite.

• 2 months later...

I have been on Carnival many times. Last year I decided to try the Explorer which is RCCL 142,000 ton ship. They had rock climbing, in-line skating, and miniature golf. Sounds great! It was terrible. They had to put these things somewhere, so they put them on the upper deck. It took the place of lounge chairs and pools. There were 3600 people on board, and only 1800 lounge chairs. The first morning I went down to the pool at 9:00 in the morning and there was not one chair to be had. I saw so many fights that trip over chairs. There were no fights at the rock climbing because no one was there. It is something you do once in the week and thats all.

We also had a JS which is around the size of a regular balcony on Carnival.

It doesn't matter how large the ship is as long as they have the accomodations and room for everyone.

I agree with most everyone here...Spirit class is just right.

I am directionally challenged. It took me a full week to get the layout of the Miracle down. If I were to sail on anything larger than that I'd be lost forever. I will say that I did like the Spirit Class above the smaller, Holiday class.

HUGE ships mean too many passengers. I don't want a floating city..I want a cruise!!!

Feeding that many passengers would be a logistical/culinary nightmare!! Can you imagine how the quality of dining would go downhill on a 180,000 ton ship????

I hope that one day I'll be able to afford to cruise Radisson, Crystal and Seabourne...average sized ships and quality is what I'm looking for. When it comes to ships bigger is not necessarily better.

Not to mention the amount of fuel a ship that large would use!!!! I can't even imagine how much the cruise on one of these ships will cost. :eek:

RCCL cross-over here...we really enjoy the MEGA ships and haven't sailed anything else. However, something from Carnival/Princess, competing the RCCL's Voyager or Ultra Voyager class might get us to consider giving CCL a try. I understand there was an article in a recent AAA mag talking about the new MEGA-class (sorry, don't really know what Carnival will call it). Did anyone read this, have any details to share?

Well we have booked the Mariner of the Seas for next year so I will see what all the hype about voyager class ships is and se whether I really care for it or not. I do know I hate the dinky cabins and no self laundry on RCCL-I guess it depends on how often I do the putt-putt or go to the iceskating show-as I have no desire to rock climb or inline skate. I did think Carnival Miracle was a beautiful ship but have read so many negative things about the conquest class ships here on these boards I have no desire to book one of them.

Our first 2 cruises were Fantasy class (Fantasy & Paradise) - we had nothing to compare them to. Then we were on the Voyager of the Seas last November -- we felt it was far too big for us. We played the mini-golf -- but it wasn't great. Never had time to do anything else, however, the ice skating show was amazing.

We are planning on booking the Carnival Liberty for next year - we'll see what sort of a size-compromise this will be.

Have fun on the Mariner!

Archived