Civitavecchia what to do?

ovccruiser

Hi, booked on QM2 cruise next April and have done the Rome trip a couple of times so we are considering staying in Civitavecchia. We've looked at the Cunard tours section of the cruise and there is very little info on this city. Anyone spent the day in this port could advise please?

6 minutes ago, ovccruiser said:

Hi, booked on QM2 cruise next April and have done the Rome trip a couple of times so we are considering staying in Civitavecchia. We've looked at the Cunard tours section of the cruise and there is very little info on this city. Anyone spent the day in this port could advise please?

It’s not the most gripping of places, but we have done a couple of enjoyable half day wine tours from the ship.

45 minutes ago, ovccruiser said:

Variety of hop on hop off options. I had an enjoyable tour on one and then walked back to shuttle bus through the town. I  am easily pleased though. 

We arranged a guide with either Tours by Locals or Withlocals (can't remember which) for 3 days before the cruise.  She met us at the Rome airport and we spent three days in and around Viterbo.  Highly recommend it!  Viterbo - don't miss Palazzo Farnese and Villa Lante. Civita di Bagnoregio is incredible. She took us to the embarkation point at the end.  Don't stay in the port city!

10 minutes ago, kinshasa said:

We arranged a guide with either Tours by Locals or Withlocals (can't remember which) for 3 days before the cruise.  She met us at the Rome airport and we spent three days in and around Viterbo.  Highly recommend it!  Viterbo - don't miss Palazzo Farnese and Villa Lante. Civita di Bagnoregio is incredible. She took us to the embarkation point at the end.  Don't stay in the port city!

IMG_7029.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2024 at 1:02 PM, bennybear said:

Easy to take the bus to Tarquinia and see the Etruscan tombs and great museum 

We have a turnaround day in Civi next April and we're interested in doing this.  But I'm having trouble figuring out exactly which bus to take, where to get off, etc.  Does anyone have specific instructions?  I tried looking at the Cotral website but got kind of lost...

You're not the only one, that Cotral website is awful.

You would take the Cotral bus from the Civitavecchia Porto stop, located on Via XVI Settembre near the intersection of Via Cadorna.  If you make a google map of these coordinates you'll be at the bus stop: 42°05'46.7"N 11°47'22.8"E    The bus stop is about 150 meters/500 feet on foot from the Largo della Pace bus center where the free port shuttle drops you off.

In Tarquinia, the stop you want is called Barriera S.Giusto.  

The Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Tarquinia is located at Piazza Cavour, 1a, less than 300 feet from the bus stop.

This is the morning/early afternoon schedule starting on Sept. 10th (there will be another schedule change on October 6th) from Civitavecchia Porto to Tarquinia Barriera S. Giusto:

image.png.6421fd288b58100b0014adb74412a84d.png

For the return, from the same bus stops:

image.png.97a18073589e08b6214381cb226366ab.png

Note that there isn't a good return on Sundays.

Check again closer to your trip date so we can find the most current schedules.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2024 at 1:02 PM, bennybear said:

Easy to take the bus to Tarquinia and see the Etruscan tombs and great museum 

I have a question would recommend staying in Tarquinia for the night before boarding our ship?

4 hours ago, pompeii said:

We have a turnaround day in Civi next April and we're interested in doing this.  But I'm having trouble figuring out exactly which bus to take, where to get off, etc.  Does anyone have specific instructions?  I tried looking at the Cotral website but got kind of lost...

thanks to @euro cruiser for excellent directions,. I remember getting tickets at a tabachi shop and catching the bus across the street near a church 😁. It’s a fairly short ride. 

2 hours ago, thia9233 said:

I have a question would recommend staying in Tarquinia for the night before boarding our ship?

I haven’t stayed there, we usually stay in Viterbo but I think it would be nice spot.  It’s easy if you have a car. 

Edited by bennybear

3 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

You're not the only one, that Cotral website is awful.

You would take the Cotral bus from the Civitavecchia Porto stop, located on Via XVI Settembre near the intersection of Via Cadorna.  If you make a google map of these coordinates you'll be at the bus stop: 42°05'46.7"N 11°47'22.8"E    The bus stop is about 150 meters/500 feet on foot from the Largo della Pace bus center where the free port shuttle drops you off.

The Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Tarquinia is located at Piazza Cavour, 1a, less than 300 feet from the bus stop.

This is the morning/early afternoon schedule starting on Sept. 10th (there will be another schedule change on October 6th) from Civitavecchia Porto to Tarquinia Barriera S. Giusto:

image.png.6421fd288b58100b0014adb74412a84d.png

For the return, from the same bus stops:

image.png.97a18073589e08b6214381cb226366ab.png

Note that there isn't a good return on Sundays.

Check again closer to your trip date so we can find the most current schedules.

Wow, thank you so much. This is exactly what I needed. I did notice on the Cotral site that I couldn’t look out farther than a couple of weeks so I’ll check back and with your instructions, maybe I can figure out the new schedule.  Thanks again @euro cruiser you’re the best!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thia9233 said:

Absolutely!  We stayed there for three nights before our last cruise out of Civitavecchia.  Our B & B host picked us up at the train station on arrival and then gave us a ride to the port with all our baggage.  Great service!

7 hours ago, Fairgarth said:

Absolutely!  We stayed there for three nights before our last cruise out of Civitavecchia.  Our B & B host picked us up at the train station on arrival and then gave us a ride to the port with all our baggage.  Great service!

What was the name of the B&B that you stayed at in Tarquinia?

20 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

If you are going to the tombs to start with there is a closer bus stop to the tombs called Tombe Etrusche and it is here - https://maps.app.goo.gl/TYULjof2XvXG7XHr7 however you will need to alert the driver that you want to get off there otherwise they will drive on past.

The Barriera S.Giusto stop is a better stop to get on the bus on the way back to Civitavecchia.