QG off menu dining question

e&mcruise

Hi all,

I know this has been covered many times but can't find this specific question so any help appreciated.

On our recent QE QG we requested Peking Duck which was awesome.

Have read of people requesting an Indian feast and, as we understand there are a number of Indian chefs on board, the authenticity is meant to be wonderful. 

Has anyone ever ordered Singapore Chilli Crab (or prawns or lobster) on board? This is a particular favourite and when it is good it is one of the best dishes in the world (IMO) but when it is bad it is "seafood in ketchup with chill" which is not what you waste a QG dinner on. 😉

Thanks to all.

3 minutes ago, e&mcruise said:

Hi all,

I know this has been covered many times but can't find this specific question so any help appreciated.

On our recent QE QG we requested Peking Duck which was awesome.

Have read of people requesting an Indian feast and, as we understand there are a number of Indian chefs on board, the authenticity is meant to be wonderful. 

Has anyone ever ordered Singapore Chilli Crab (or prawns or lobster) on board? This is a particular favourite and when it is good it is one of the best dishes in the world (IMO) but when it is bad it is "seafood in ketchup with chill" which is not what you waste a QG dinner on. 😉

Thanks to all.

No, but having lived in S.E.Asia I know and appreciate the cuisine and often try out what would be known as street food as a special,  Pad Thai being one of my new try outs, and it was pretty good so I have no doubt if you asked for chilli crab [Cracked Chilli Crab being one of our seafood  favs,] the chefs onboard would give it a good go.

We have ordered off menu Chinese "take away", Indian, Singaporean, Thai and numerous others, generally cooked to a very high standard and ample for a table for eight, yet alone one or two. We have had Singapore Chilli Prawn, but I am sure crab could have been arranged.

Earlier this week we had the old favourite of Seafood Risotto off-menu and it was as usual exceptional.

I can give you my tips on how to get a really good off menu meal in my experience. 

• Try not to arrive at peak times, later when it is quieter really improves things.
  • When you order give them a rough time you will be arriving.
  • Order the day before if you can.
  • Try and order something with a base that is being used on that days regular menu, so if you see there is a prawn curry on the menu, asking for another derivative of prawns ie. Chinese Crispy Prawns seems the help.
  • If you are going to want some additional or unusual condiments with your off menu dish, it speeds things along if you let the waiters know at lunch. 

and please, please, please, if you are ordering anything very aromatic, ask for in to be cooked non-table side. There is nothing worse than being on the table next to someone having their off menu Indian curry cooked table side next to you and walking out of the restaurant with the stench in your dinner suit.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

In reply to #3

If a special is ordered, it doesn't matter what time you turn up, the meal will be either be prep'd and ready to finish or will be prep'd and ready to be finished tableside.

There are certain dishes which require ordering a couple of days in advance through to dishes which can be ordered at lunchtime. It's always a good idea to ask the Head Waiter's advice.

As to aromatic meals, unfortunately, it's one of the perks to the diners to have dishes finished tableside and one has to put up with residual clothes smell.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nick&Simon said:

In reply to #4

Tableside may be available, it doesn’t mean it’s good manners to inconvenience other people though. 

Nothing whatsoever to do with manners of any type and nor can it be an inconvenience to anyone when it's part of the QG experience.

I dislike garlic  and every night I can guarantee there will be a tableside dish prepared near us with clouds of garlic. Not my idea of a great room aroma but  table-side cooking be it your own meal or that of a neighbouring table is part of the QG experience and is fun to watch [and learn].

Any potential aroma which is slightly pungent/ can cling to clothes but as it's just part of QG dining, if it's particularly bothersome, then don't book a restaurant where 'aromas' will abound when tableside cooking is involved.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I disagree, it certainly is an inconvenience when the aroma is so strong that it clings to your suit and you need to incur the time and expense of having in laundered in order to wear it again.

What I agree with is a QG passenger can certainly have aromatic dishes cooked table side, but I reserve the right too ask people not to if it inconveniences me, and they have the right to be good mannered or not.

I have nothing against 95% of the dishes cooked table side, but I do have an issue with for example Indian style curries which are particularly pungent. I love the food and simply ask for it to be cooked in the kitchen.

Thank you for your advice on not booking if its bothersome, I will give that due consideration.

Edited by Nick&Simon
  • Like 1

I'm afraid if anyone asked me to refrain from having a tableside aromatic dish prepared, I would politely smile, listen  and then ignore but feel like suggesting they go and eat elsewhere.

Luckily in all my nights in QG, I have never come across anyone who objects to fellow passengers pungent meals, assuming, like us all passengers, well most now, take it as read it is fellow diners prerogative to choose such a dish and enjoy the results.

• Like 6

Tableside preparation is part of the experience, yes.  But it never even occurred to me that one would want or need most Indian dishes prepared that way.  I adore Indian food and would never wish that, either.  CANBERRA in Pacific Restaurant would make you the most wonderful Indian feasts, as a treat, but would never dream of preparing it tableside.  And I don't want it spattered on my white d/j, either, thanks very much.  

I do miss French service... though... you never, ever had a full plate of food "plopped" down in front of you, with preordained number and variety of vegetables etc. on liners 15 years ago.  Even in Tourist Class.  They even do that in Princess Grill now. 

• Like 1

@Victoria2 I am interested how you feel about this: I would hope you would agree that it is one of the perks as a QG guest to sit in the QG Lounge and have a conversation - laugh even - with other guests/crew. Does that extend to when the harpist is playing and my conversation may inhibit other guests enjoyment?

For clarity, you have not found anyone who does take it as read that fellow diners have a prerogative to choose to have food cooked table side. That is explicitly not what I said. But I do think it certain circumstances - which I have outlined - it is ill mannered, in the same way as disturbing other passengers by talking during a musical recital.

• Like 1

As someone who cooks a lot of Indian food I cannot think of many Indian dishes that could be cooked table-side as most Indian dishes take quite some time to cook.

• Like 4

I usually enjoy the aromas, particularly the orange duck. However, if I am having it myself, I would like it to be flamed so I get the benefit of the aroma. A few trips ago, a couple behind us had a fresh made pasta dish at lunch with a lot of onions or garlic in, I forget which. They made a point of having the trolley placed so no fumes went over them. This meant they went over the people at the table next to us, one of whom was highly sensitive to whatever it was, to the extent he had to leave the restaurant with streaming eyes. That did seem very selfish of the owners of the dish, though not dissimilar to some of their other behaviour.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thoughtful consideration of others should not be an "elective" in Queen's Grill or anywhere else.  The ability or means to pay for the best does not purchase a pass to be inconsiderate.  Indeed, the reverse used to be case... what did they call it "noblesse oblige".

Maybe I should have my special order of scrapple (which I adore) prepared tableside at breakfast and prove the point...  

Edited by WantedOnVoyage

24 minutes ago, Nick&Simon said:

@Victoria2 I am interested how you feel about this: I would hope you would agree that it is one of the perks as a QG guest to sit in the QG Lounge and have a conversation - laugh even - with other guests/crew. Does that extend to when the harpist is playing and my conversation may inhibit other guests enjoyment?

For clarity, you have not found anyone who does take it as read that fellow diners have a prerogative to choose to have food cooked table side. That is explicitly not what I said. But I do think it certain circumstances - which I have outlined - it is ill mannered, in the same way as disturbing other passengers by talking during a musical recital.

Not sure where this fits in with food aromas but if I were to be at a recital, I would listen.

As the only time a harpist has played for us has been at afternoon tea, I don't think that counts as a recital and so conversation, muted of course as this IS Cunard, flowed.

I would also go with david63 and say all the Indian dishes, as that seemed to be a bit of a focus of yours, we have had and we have had quite a few over the years, have been prepared in the kitchens.

Posted (edited)

Maybe leave the decision on what is prepared tableside to the maitre d' and the kitchen?  

We've only been on one QM2 cruise and there was no harpist in the QG Lounge at tea time the days we were there.  We prefer the Observation Lounge anyways, and there the pianist is providing background music not a recital.  So yes we do converse with our table mates while the pianist is playing.

Edited by stan01
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nick&Simon said:

All I have said is for people to be considerate about what they ask to be cooked table side. 

In that case, for my convenience in order to avoid the garlic clouds, should all meals containing garlic be confined to the kitchen?

No. I wouldn't dream of depriving fellow passengers of their table-side preparations just because I dislike [intensely] clouds of garlic. Maybe I'm just more accommodating of others enjoyment.

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

In that case, for my convenience in order to avoid the garlic clouds, should all meals containing garlic be confined to the kitchen?

No. I wouldn't dream of depriving fellow passengers of their table-side preparations just because I dislike [intensely] clouds of garlic. Maybe I'm just more accommodating of others enjoyment.

A carefully placed trolley can be a major mitigation.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I believe there is a difference between something which is disliked and something which is a genuine inconvenience.

To give you some clarity, the last time I was unhappy about tableside cooking was a passengers insisting their Indian meal be cooked entirely tableside. The Maitre’d advised against it but they insisted. Post cooking the Maitre’d has the good grace to apologise to me and offered for Cunard to pay for laundry. That was at his behest without comment from me.

Edited by Nick&Simon
  • Like 4

Just now, Nick&Simon said:

I believe there is a difference between something which is disliked and something which is a genuine inconvenience.

To give you some clarity, the last time I was unhappy about tableside cooking was a passengers insisting their Indian men be cooked entirely tableside. The Maitre’d advised against it but they insisted. Post cooking the Maitre’d has the good grace to apologise to me and offered for Cunard to pay for laundry. That was at his behest without comment from me.

In that case, Indian cooking table side seemed to be a one off and clothes were cleaned, so no issue going forward.

Wish clothes and hair could be devoid of garlic smells at times but a quick blow [clothes not my hair], pegged down on the balcony gets rid of any residual aromas.

Conclusion

I still don't see table side finishing, a problem and if it is, c'est la [QG] vie!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stan01 said:

Maybe leave the decision on what is prepared tableside to the maitre d' and the kitchen?  

Hmm, don't think so. Garlic seems to be a table side speciality so that knocks that on the head for me.

We've only been on one QM2 cruise and there was no harpist in the QG Lounge at tea time the days we were there.  We prefer the Observation Lounge anyways, and there the pianist is providing background music not a recital.  So yes we do converse with our table mates while the pianist is playing.

Can't please all the people all the time so live and let eat.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

My problem is not usually with flaming aromas, but with eggs. I am not allergic, but intensely dislike the taste, smell, and sight of them. To avoid offending our neighbours on our last cruise, I had to explain that the reason I had turned my head away was not that I had formed a sudden dislike to them, but because I could bear neither sight nor smell of the fried eggs that one of them had for lunch.  This was not so easy to do while looking in the opposite direction.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Thoughtful consideration of others should not be an "elective" in Queen's Grill or anywhere else.  The ability or means to pay for the best does not purchase a pass to be inconsiderate.  Indeed, the reverse used to be case... what did they call it "noblesse oblige".

Maybe I should have my special order of scrapple (which I adore) prepared tableside at breakfast and prove the point...  

Thoughtful consideration works both ways, or doesn't that count if actions - table side aromas here- conflict with your own ideas/thoughts on a subject?

If a particular action is part of the fare paid then although it might be an annoyance to one or two individuals, it cannot be considered inconsiderate as it's part of the fare experience.

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Thoughtful consideration works both ways, or doesn't that count if actions - table side aromas here- conflict with your own ideas/thoughts on a subject?

If a particular action is part of the fare paid then although it might be an annoyance to one or two individuals, it cannot be considered inconsiderate as it's part of the fare experience.

True.... and the good thing is that we stick to QV and QM2 and you to QA, and our food smells, spatterings and sputterings will be like ships that pass in the night.

I wonder if they can even do scrapple in QG... in six plus weeks I can find out.... or, demurring to my better instincts, save that for Sunday mornings at home. 

• Like 1