WiFi at Mediterranean Cruise Terminals

I will be sailing on Regent Seven Seas Splendor's Med Cruise this fall and not crazy about the "one login - one device only" per cabin WiFi situation.  I have read that most cruise terminals have free WiFi.  If that's true, does anyone know if it's possible to access the terminal's WiFi from an outside area of the ship or do you have to be physically in the terminal to use it?  The ports we will be docked at are:  Civitavecchia, Salerno, Catania, Ephasus, and we will be anchored off shore at Santorini and Mykonos.  Believe me, we are not internet junkies and this isn't going to put a damper on our trip, but I need to make daily phone calls back home and my husband wants to be able to use his iPad.

Personally I wouldn't try to depend on WI-FI.  If your phone or tablet can use an eSIM to connect to local cell providers, that would be the most convenient and dependable way to go.  Also, you would not need to get off the ship to connect.

eSIMs are very inexpensive and easy to activate.  Check out this site for information and to search for one that will work best for you.

• Thanks 1

In the past I have connected to free port wifi from my veranda. 
But you certainly can not depend on that. (What side of the ship are you on versus the dock, where is the actual terminal building versus your docking spot, etc.) If you can find a public space close to the terminal, that may work as well. 

You usually can get off the ship and walk into the terminal building and get on the wifi. You’ll see a lot of the crew doing this. Have done this several times. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, -Lew- said:

Personally I wouldn't try to depend on WI-FI.  If your phone or tablet can use an eSIM to connect to local cell providers, that would be the most convenient and dependable way to go.  Also, you would not need to get off the ship to connect.

eSIMs are very inexpensive and easy to activate.  Check out this site for information and to search for one that will work best for you.

Have you used any of those companies?

Do you end up with a new phone number for the eSim? (Couldn't find that info on the website of the one I checked out)

We get 4 logins with our suite so not sure we need an eSim . Is there any reason we would for this cruise?

44 minutes ago, chamima said:

Have you used any of those companies?

Do you end up with a new phone number for the eSim? (Couldn't find that info on the website of the one I checked out)

We get 4 logins with our suite so not sure we need an eSim . Is there any reason we would for this cruise?

Yes, airalo worked very well for us in the Med a few years ago.  You install the app, then purchase the eSIM in the app.  We now have T-Mobile as our cell provider, so no need to do anything for service outside the US.

You would use the eSIM only when off the ship to connect to cellular.  eSIMs are available with and without a phone number.  We use WhatsApp which uses our regular phone number for calls and texts, but not service of our cellular provider.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, -Lew- said:

Yes, airalo worked very well for us in the Med a few years ago.  You install the app, then purchase the eSIM in the app.  We now have T-Mobile as our cell provider, so no need to do anything for service outside the US.

You would use the eSIM only when off the ship to connect to cellular.  eSIMs are available with and without a phone number.  We use WhatsApp which uses our regular phone number for calls and texts, but not service of our cellular provider.

Thank you for this advice, Lew.  I'm definitely not tech savvy, so I spent some time reading up on eSIMS after reading your reply and decided to go with a Regional eSIM card from Eurolink available through the Airalo app.  Unlike Chamima, I won't have WiFi onboard, so the eSIM won't be beneficial while sailing, but this is still a way less expensive option than purchasing a second WiFi package which is $30 per day.  Great advice and much appreciated!