Sloth Sanctuary without a Tour

elsplace2

Hi,

My husband and I will be in Roatan, in April.  We will be on NCL Getaway.

Can anyone recommend a Sloth Sanctuary that is not part of a tour.   We just want to take a cab, to the Sloth Sanctuary and buy our entry tickets there and hold a sloth and whatever else they may have available.   We just want to go on our own time, and spend as much or as little time as we want there.  Then head back to the port.

It seems that every sloth sanctuary I see, includes a tour.

Any recommendations?

9 minutes ago, elsplace2 said:

Hi,

My husband and I will be in Roatan, in April.  We will be on NCL Getaway.

Can anyone recommend a Sloth Sanctuary that is not part of a tour.   We just want to take a cab, to the Sloth Sanctuary and buy our entry tickets there and hold a sloth and whatever else they may have available.   We just want to go on our own time, and spend as much or as little time as we want there.  Then head back to the port.

It seems that every sloth sanctuary I see, includes a tour.

Any recommendations?

Actual taxis from A to B are not common place in Roatan although several people report that the situation is improving.

However it is simple enough to arrange a private driver for the day for the two of you from any number of companies recommended on here. You can have the driver for as long is short as you want and visit as many or few places as you want. In essence you are getting a taxi that will stay with you and bring you back (the critical part because unless you pay for waiting getting a taxi back will not be easy). 

Fares will be much the same between companies and despite what some people claim, the assigned driver is luck of the  draw - often times drivers will move between companies or sub-contract some are good, some not so much.

Taxi fares are supposed to be pre- determined now but I am not sure there is actually an “official tourist rate” and it is certainly higher than the local rate. Driver for a day rates are reasonable if you want flexibility and a guaranteed ride home although they are certainly overpriced compared to a genuine A-B-A ride. We have stopped getting off in Roatan for this very reason as we know exactly where we want to go and unless it is West Bay it is extremely difficult to get single rides without paying for a private driver. Our last trip to “just” West End and back was such hassle we decided it wasn’t worth the effort. 

Oh wow, you really gave us alot to think about.  It didn't even occur to me that getting a taxi would be an issue.

Thanks for the heads up.   

If no one else has a suggestion on going on our own, is there a suggestion for a nice sanctuary and a tour company?

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, elsplace2 said:

Oh wow, you really gave us alot to think about.  It didn't even occur to me that getting a taxi would be an issue.

Thanks for the heads up.   

If no one else has a suggestion on going on our own, is there a suggestion for a nice sanctuary and a tour company?

You can go on your own without a tour I would just recommend having your transport stay with you. When you take into consideration waiting time having a driver is not that expensive and it leaves you flexible for if you change your mind and want to visit somewhere else or the weather isn’t good and you want to go to a different location. 

There are lots of companies recommended on here and I have tried several of them of them over the years. I just don’t have any strong preferences for any one particular company, unlike some people. I think it is very dependent on the driver you are allocated on the day. Most companies have been reasonably efficient at the administrative side of setting up a driver in my experience. 

Edited by c-leg5

7 hours ago, elsplace2 said:

I think I just found a place that just does a hangout with the sloths, etc. and transportation for $30 per person.

Daniel Johnson' Monkey and Sloth Hangout.

Daniel Johnson has one of the original sloth places.

That sounds a fairly typical group price tour. 

• Like 2

On 8/13/2024 at 11:17 PM, c-leg5 said:

Daniel Johnson has one of the original sloth places.

That sounds a fairly typical group price tour. 

I hope you enjoy The Hangout as much as we did! My granddaughters are looking forward to holding the sloths. The monkeys are so fun too, but they are little thieves LOL! Don't have sunglasses or your head or anything in your shirt pocket - I think the guide even warned us about them! 🤣 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We like Mayan Eden.  We always go with Ronystours.com.   if you book his freestyle tour, you are completely free to go wherever you want on your own time.  At Mayan Eden, the monkeys and sloths roam free.   It's definitely our favorite sanctuary. 

• Like 1