Sitka- on our own, on foot

SingingPixie

I'll be visiting Sitka in September on Quantum of the Seas with a friend (both in our 40s and reasonably active), and since we're doing excursions in Skagway and Juneau, we'd like to explore on our own for this stop. We have done Disney together and are used to covering lots of ground and moving quickly. Our port times are 9:30-5, but I know we'll need to allow some buffer on either end due to shuttling, large numbers of passengers, etc- especially since I imagine they'll let people off first who are on ship excursions.

Obviously we'll be ready to pivot, but I'm curious whether this list looks at all realistic to fill our day?

• Baranoff Castle State Historic Site, to enjoy views and get a general lay of the land
  • St. Michael's Cathedral (at least view the outside, take a peak inside if open)
  • Lunch- Russian Dumplings at Sitka Pel'Meni (opens at 11:30)
  • Russian Bishop's House (could do this before lunch if it's still too early)
  • Raptor Center
  • Sitka National Historic Park trails (either before or after Raptor Center depending on weather, timing, etc).
  • Sheldon Jackson Museum (if time- will make note of last shuttle time and allow plenty of buffer)

Please also let me know if there's anything I'm missing that is a must! 

You’re in Sitka with the Eurodam which means 7000 people that will be getting on shuttles to Sitka, so it might take a while. All of the places you’re looking at are fairly close to the downtown area except for the Raptor Center, which I’d skip as it will be full of excursion groups.  Harry Race drug store is near the castle.  Stop in for a milkshake or ice cream at the soda fountain and pick up several of the very scrumptious locally-made chocolate bars by Theobroma.  Also check the alley just down from Race’s for the local fisherman who sells smoked salmon and halibut along with the local specialty smoked sablefish. Sitka is only 8000 people and the main downtown area is fairly small, so it will likely be super crowded.  Head for the totem park and enjoy the trails through the rainforest.  The local ravens are a hoot with all their different calls.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

Make sure to check out the Russian Orthodox Cemetery.  https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/1980102/russian-orthodox-cemetery/photo

Also, there is public transportation in Sitka if you want to go for a hike or get to some other places a little farther away from Main St.  https://ridesitka.com

The Russian Bishop’s House is also not to be missed. Be sure and see the private chapel.