Dress for the season or the weather outside?

n2chocola8

Ladies this question is for you. My daughter in law and I are sailing next June on the Vista to the UK and Norwegian Fjords. Even though it is summer it will be very cold outside. I'm told to expect 40-60 degree weather outside. My question is when dining at night do we dress for the season (summer) or the weather outside?

Thank you

Not a lady, but having cruised on Vista, sometimes the restaurants are very comfortable, other times so cold you could hand meat. My wife always takes a sweater or Shaw to dinner to ensure comfort. Not sure that directly answers your question, but just be advised. Now I’m sure certain Cheerleaders will tell you every restaurant had the most exquisite temperature perfect in all aspects for dining. You can decide.

• Like 3

Pinot is correct and his DW dresses appropriately for the restaurants because they can be cool at times. While the expectation can be 72 degrees and comfortable, I can assure you a particular restaurant can be cool so a shawl or jacket can be beneficial.  The outside temperatures can impact the indoor temps so just be prepared. These comments are based on a mid May cruise in the Med and an October Panama Canal cruise on Vista because we found the HVAC system to be a bit erratic. 
Mauibabes

• Like 1

I'd say dress for the weather. 40-60 weather is quite cool. You can take sweaters or shawls with you to the restaurants. pinotlover is right about that. But you can remove a sweater or a shawl if you get warm. In December/January, I wil start out in Miami and go down to Antarctica. I'm sure I will need all kinds of clothing, summer for the Carribean and winter for Antarctica

• Like 1

We sailed the Norwegian Fjords in June 2023 and had really warm weather mid 60’s +. It’s really unpredictable. The overall weather system in Scandinavia often follows the same pattern as the UK. The best advice for outdoors is to take ‘layers’ that way you will cover all bases. There are umbrellas provided in the cabins!!

As others have said the indoor areas can be a bit cool sometimes so a wrap or similar is useful.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

When you say summer what time of year? We sailed the Norwegian Fjords as far as the North Cape last July on Seabourn Ovation and it was not cold (did rain though but we are used to that in the UK 😂) You cannot predict the weather in Northern Europe so for outside I would take everything from shorts and T shirts to waterproofs and a fleece.  Inside, wear what adheres to the dress code and makes you happy but take a cardigan or pashmina to put round your shoulders if the air con is a bit fierce.

IMG_0195.jpeg

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Morning, Techno.  Is that photo at Geiranger? We were there 27/7/17. It was a lovely day - nice enough to have lunch on  the terrace of a restaurant in the village. In fact, the weather on that Marina cruise was fine once we got north of mainland Scotland. 

And, my answer to the question in the OP (which applies to men as much as women) is dress for dinner based on the ship's climate, unless you're planning to eat on the outside terrace of the TC. June can often be the best summer month in the UK (and elsewhere in Northern Europe) - it's usually warm enough for us to have dinner  on the patio at home. FWIW, we did a transatlantic on Vista earlier this year. With the exception of one night, when the air con in the GDR had a problem (making it very cold), we found all the restaurants to be comfortable. I didnt need an additional layer to my polo shirt and I don't recall my partner complaining of it being cold (she feels it much more than I do). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Harters it was on the walk up to the Briksdal Glacier - it did rain but most of the moisture was the spray from the waterfalls. Absolutely loved that trip 😍

I always take a pashmina to dinner and usually leave it on the chair just so I can be chased from the restaurant by the waiter 😜😂 Not really but like yourselves I never need it but take just in case.

IMG_0201.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

we were in the Fjords in June this year and it was up to the low 70s a couple of days. The UK can be pleaseantly warm in June. Definitely layers and don't forget the suncreen and bug spray - I got bitten in Norway this June! 

Edited by elmsliebev
  • Like 2

On 8/12/2024 at 9:23 PM, Cruising Maryland said:

I'd say dress for the weather. 40-60 weather is quite cool. You can take sweaters or shawls with you to the restaurants. pinotlover is right about that. But you can remove a sweater or a shawl if you get warm. In December/January, I wil start out in Miami and go down to Antarctica. I'm sure I will need all kinds of clothing, summer for the Carribean and winter for Antarctica

Are you on Marina starting December 7th?

4 hours ago, Cruising Maryland said:

Yes I am, flying down tio Miami on the 6th. I think you are going on the trip to Lima, not sure if you are going further. Hope to see you on board.

Staying in Lima 2 nights. Arriving in Miami on the 5th.