Mariner Number changed to Princess Circle Number

We went on our first Princess cruise 7 months ago.  I had never looked closely at our Princess Member #s.  They are the same as our HAL ones, so its been like this for us for about a year now.

There has been no advantage to loyalty # unfortunately.  Individual status remains on both.

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I

I do have one question (this will probably confuse the issue even more), but for those of you who have had numbers merged, did your new number merge INTO the cruise line you had the most loyalty with? In other words, you had more days on Princess, so HAL number was merged into princess? Or is it the opposite? Or, is there no pattern? 

I definitely have more days with HAL than Princess, but I was able to get that one fixed since it had only changed on the Navigator. Days onboard in order - HAL, Princess, Seabourn, Cunard, Costa in the CCL family. We have 900 plus on HAL, and probably about 250-300 on Princess.

Miss G - that’s interesting, perhaps mine was influenced because I’ve sailed Cunard since 1979 but first Princess cruise was 2016?

In any case no reciprocity under Carnival companies like RCCL but hopefully something will develop.

34 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Miss G - that’s interesting, perhaps mine was influenced because I’ve sailed Cunard since 1979 but first Princess cruise was 2016?

In any case no reciprocity under Carnival companies like RCCL but hopefully something will develop.

HAL was my first line, then Cunard, then Princess. All three have different numbers, with Cunard ending in a B. I have never sailed on Cunard with my husband, though, so no idea why the B. 🤷‍♀️ Reciprocity would be nice. 

1 hour ago, foodsvcmgr said:

I have been on Cunard (and others), but not on Princess. On Princess's emails, they list my Cunard World Club number for their loyalty program.  

17 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Interesting development, the combining does not surprise me. I know in the past 8 to 9 months Princess has been giving out different Captain's Circle number and changing numbers for long time old Princess passengers. In the old days meaning 10+++ years ago Princess would assign a husband a number ending with the letter A, then the spouse would have the same number ending with the letter B. Then if there was a new spouse they would assign the new person the same number but ending in C. It got rather confusing. It has been recently they have started to get rid of the letters at the end. Although I had heard that some old time Princess cruisers wanted to keep their old number. I received a Princess Circle number over 15 years ago and we have the old system and mine ending with B. We are Elite with Princess and 5 Star with HAL but started with HAL first.

I don't want to lose my Mariner number which is kinda like a badge of honor, the lower the number the longer you've been cruising.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I don't want to lose my Mariner number which is kinda like a badge of honor, the lower the number the longer you've been cruising.  

Yeah, ours goes back 20 years. But, does anyone really see it?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I've contacted journalists at cruise hive, cruise industry news, and sea-trader cruise asking them to look into merge of loyalty numbers. At time of contact, I didn't realize the level of inconsistencies. Not sure if it will go anywhere, but I am VERY curious what the objective is (assuming there is an objective and not more HAL tech none-sense). 

I do have one question (this will probably confuse the issue even more), but for those of you who have had numbers merged, did your new number merge INTO the cruise line you had the most loyalty with? In other words, you had more days on Princess, so HAL number was merged into princess? Or is it the opposite? Or, is there no pattern? 

I have been sailing on Princess for more years, but have more days with HAL. 

Edited by Red Haired Lady
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Well no, lol, it's more for personal satisfaction.

I understand. I had an American Airlines number since the 80s, and they canceled it because I hadn't flown them in a while. They couldn't even bring back my old number, so I had to start over!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ricka47 said:

I understand. I had an American Airlines number since the 80s, and they canceled it because I hadn't flown them in a while. They couldn't even bring back my old number, so I had to start over!

That's a bummer!

I think I received a similar notice from Delta, which was technically Northwest to begin with. 

On further thought I'm not really even interested in loyalty anymore considering all the anti-loyal moves we're seeing these days towards passengers, the fare structures are getting ridiculous. Want a refundable deposit?  That'll be $500 more.  Want an assigned stateroom?  That'll be $750 more.  Want the room on deck 7 instead of deck 6, that'll be $1,000 more.  It's becoming laughable.  Refundable deposits or an assigned stateroom should be automatic for long time mariners.  

Not to mention all the changes to the program itself and the messing around with the categories.  I just don't see any point to it anymore.  

So they can take their mariner program and toss it overboard to put it kindly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, atexsix said:

On further thought I'm not really even interested in loyalty anymore considering all the anti-loyal moves we're seeing these days towards passengers, the fare structures are getting ridiculous. Want a refundable deposit?  That'll be $500 more.  Want an assigned stateroom?  That'll be $750 more.  Want the room on deck 7 instead of deck 6, that'll be $1,000 more.  It's becoming laughable.  Refundable deposits or an assigned stateroom should be automatic for long time mariners.  

Not to mention all the changes to the program itself and the messing around with the categories.  I just don't see any point to it anymore.  

So they can take their mariner program and toss it overboard to put it kindly. 

Yeah, I have a friend who wants to get to Pinnacle so badly on Royal Caribbean and is almost there. That's OK. I'll take a few perks if I can but we don't focus on that element of travel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

HAL was my first line, then Cunard, then Princess. All three have different numbers, with Cunard ending in a B. I have never sailed on Cunard with my husband, though, so no idea why the B. 🤷‍♀️ Reciprocity would be nice. 

Mine ends in R. Have no idea what that means except it gives them more variations in the number. Most likely, it has no meaning it seems to me.

21 minutes ago, tjcox9 said:

Mine ends in R. Have no idea what that means except it gives them more variations in the number. Most likely, it has no meaning it seems to me.

‘R’ means rookie.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

This does not surprise me and I almost wonder if it is not a bit old fashion with placing the women as B and not A. I have cruised Princess quite a bit and we are now Elite but my name has always been first on the reservation and Tom was second but from the first cruise quite a few years ago I was assigned the number with the B at the end. But I also know of a couple the husband A and wife B and her husband passed and she remarried and new husband was given her number ending with C so I have no idea what their logic is. 🤷‍♀️

15 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

This does not surprise me and I almost wonder if it is not a bit old fashion with placing the women as B and not A.

That is what I thought!  Although, my thought came in the form of the frustration and annoyance you feel at being female in a male-dominated world.  I believe all our work towards equality have made things a bit better for the younger generation, though there is still a ways to go.

okay, /rant lol

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

This does not surprise me and I almost wonder if it is not a bit old fashion with placing the women as B and not A

I don't know what is going on, but I'm not a man and my number ends in A. The only thing I can attribute it to, is that I made the original booking and was the lead on the reservation.

12 minutes ago, wombatKY said:

I don't know what is going on, but I'm not a man and my number ends in A. The only thing I can attribute it to, is that I made the original booking and was the lead on the reservation.

That theory doesn’t work.  I made the original booking and was the lead on the reservation.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

‘R’ means rookie.

Oops. I lied, Mine is a B not R. However my first Princess cruise was with another women and I think it was her first as well. Don't know what letter she got.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ExArkie said:

I have been on Cunard (and others), but not on Princess. On Princess's emails, they list my Cunard World Club number for their loyalty program.  

We have cruised on both Cunard and Princess (for decades).  Our numbers (Princess and Cunard) have always been the same for both lines with the "A" assigned to me and a "B" to my wife.  Not surprising that they have the same numbers as, at one time, Cunard was actually operated by Princess (at least from the management perspective).  Our HAL Mariners number is completely different (from Princess and Cunard).

Hank

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We have cruised on both Cunard and Princess (for decades).  Our numbers (Princess and Cunard) have always been the same for both lines with the "A" assigned to me and a "B" to my wife.  Not surprising that they have the same numbers as, at one time, Cunard was actually operated by Princess (at least from the management perspective).  Our HAL Mariners number is completely different (from Princess and Cunard).

Hank

Yep, when we were booked on a cruise with Cunard and called into their number, at the end of the call we were thanked for calling Princess!! 😄 Same phone staff here in the US, but that was some years back.