How much time?

JackieH

Ok we are heading to the Valor for the Aug 20 sailing. We are flying into Ft Lauderdale the day before. We will be renting a car from the Ft Lauderdale airport, and then staying over night with my parents. They live outside Ft Lauderdale in a town called Coconut Creek. My question is, what time do you think we should leave the Ft Lauderdale area, bareing in mind we need to return the car to the Miami airport and get shuttled to the ship. The lady at Thrifty said the shuttles run frequently.

So I think I have 2 questions? What time to leave the Ft Lauderdale area(I rather arrive at the ship earlier then later, as we are traveling with 3 kids who will be just as anxious as thier parents :)) and does anybody know how long it takes to get from the Miami Airport to the ship?

We figured we couldnt go wrong with a rental car. We reserved an SUV and the total is 52.80$ for a 24 hr period. We were trying to add up the fee for a taxi from Ft Lauderdale airport to my parents place, the a fee for a shuttle or taxi service to Miami, and it would be WAY over 52.80. We are a single income family and try to save money where we can.

Ok we are heading to the Valor for the Aug 20 sailing. We are flying into Ft Lauderdale the day before. We will be renting a car from the Ft Lauderdale airport, and then staying over night with my parents. They live outside Ft Lauderdale in a town called Coconut Creek. My question is, what time do you think we should leave the Ft Lauderdale area, bareing in mind we need to return the car to the Miami airport and get shuttled to the ship. The lady at Thrifty said the shuttles run frequently.

So I think I have 2 questions? What time to leave the Ft Lauderdale area(I rather arrive at the ship earlier then later, as we are traveling with 3 kids who will be just as anxious as thier parents :)) and does anybody know how long it takes to get from the Miami Airport to the ship?

We figured we couldnt go wrong with a rental car. We reserved an SUV and the total is 52.80$ for a 24 hr period. We were trying to add up the fee for a taxi from Ft Lauderdale airport to my parents place, the a fee for a shuttle or taxi service to Miami, and it would be WAY over 52.80. We are a single income family and try to save money where we can.

This must be your first cruise because you are worrying WAY too much. Relax...it's a vacation!

D.

I think you should leave rather early-like 9:00. It only takes about 30-45 minutes to get to the Miami Airport but you never know how traffic will be. (I worry a bit, too.) If you get to town too early you can drive along the coast and site see until it's close to time. You are right about the coast to rent vs. the cost to take a taxi. We looked into that as well. And since the car rental places will shuttle you to the terminal it's a win/win! Have fun.

I wouldn't leave Coconut Creek until at least 10:00, probably 10:30. As suzie9499 said, it should take about 45 minutes to the airport. From the airport to the pier is about 15 minutes, without traffic, but in Miami, you can never tell.

Thank you everybody for your help. This is not our first cruise, but our 2nd. Our first cruise(almost 3 yrs ago)was taken care of by my parents, they did all the arranging. Now, its me to fend for my family LOL...I do tend to worry about all the details, but I always like to be prepared.;)

Archived