Oceania Country Club Casual Question

Volterra24

Finalizing my packing and because we have travel prior to and after our Vista cruise I am having a super hard time packing light. Which also means I am likely having to edit my favorite clothes/shoes. I had planned to check one suitcase and bring a small carry-on suitcase to the plane with the needed supplies and some extra clothes in case my suitcase goes missing.  But I am rethinking the carry on as I just don't want to be burdened with so much luggage plus a crossbody handbag and a shoulder tote(with reading materials, charging cables, trip details etc).  So a few questions.  Regarding my personal packing, I know it is super hot right now so I have packed accordingly. I have a few jackets just because and I am assuming that sometimes the interior dining rooms etc on the ship might be chilly? Is that more like a shawl or a jacket type solution? Re: my husband: he will have his own suitcase/checked luggage. I want my husband to pack a sport coat. For dinner he usually will wear a nice collared long, sleeve shirt and pant with a casual style dress shoe. Should I encourage him to bring the sport coat? Any other comments or tips appreciated.  

9 minutes ago, Volterra24 said:

Finalizing my packing and because we have travel prior to and after our Vista cruise I am having a super hard time packing light. ... I want my husband to pack a sport coat. For dinner he usually will wear a nice collared long, sleeve shirt and pant with a casual style dress shoe. Should I encourage him to bring the sport coat? Any other comments or tips appreciated.  

No, no need to bring a sport jacket, unless he wants to. What space he saves, you might be able to use?

All men need in the specialty restaurants are a collared shirt, pants, socks, and shoes. Can be short-sleeved shirt, too. 

• Like 1

Sports Coats are not required.

I always bring one, and quite often wear it. Some of the Specialties can be frigid and the sports jacket is often comfortable. This is the same as my wife bringing nice sweaters to wear. They aren’t brought for appearance, but to help make an otherwise cold dining area near comfortable.

• Like 5

My husband wears his sports coat for two good reasons:  he's always cold and he uses all the pockets.  He will wear his on the plane, so that cuts back on suitcase issues.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Volterra24 said:

For dinner he usually will wear a nice collared long, sleeve shirt and pant with a casual style dress shoe

If he wears a jacket, he will be in a smallish minority. I generally wear a polo shirt and chinos which is entirely appropriate for the dress code. I did take a sweater with me on the last cruise, just in case,the restaurants were overly cold. They werent and it came home unworn

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harters said:

If he wears a jacket, he will be in a smallish minority. I generally wear a polo shirt and chinos which is entirely appropriate for the dress code. I did take a sweater with me on the last cruise, just in case,the restaurants were overly cold. They werent and it came home unworn

Stu hasnt taken a jacket in 20 years and we always eat with the officers..For me I dress Chicos..

Jancruz1

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

@Volterra24 My suggestion would be to minimize shoes by choosing the ones that coordinate with everything you bring. I aim for no more than one pair of walking shoes, one pair of dress shoes/sandals, and (if it's warm) one pair of walking/water sandals which usually flatten or something like Keds/loafers if there is room when it is cooler. Either the walking or dress shoes are worn on the plane (whichever pair is bulky) and the other is packed full of socks. In fact, anything bulky (e.g., cold weather coats or sweaters) is "worn" on the plane.

Also, if possible, have all tops go with all/most bottoms. For my spouse I pack only black and gray slacks/jeans/shorts plus shirts that go with both. For me I pack skirts (can sub slacks/shorts) with dressy and casual tops (for evening and day) plus as many dresses as I can fit; if space allows I'll pack a high dress heel and a low dress heel. Solid skirts/slacks/shorts in one color family allow you to mix it up with tops.

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Sports Coats are not required.

I always bring one, and quite often wear it. Some of the Specialties can be frigid and the sports jacket is often comfortable. This is the same as my wife bringing nice sweaters to wear. They aren’t brought for appearance, but to help make an otherwise cold dining area near comfortable.

Whereas I'm never cold. Ever.

3 hours ago, Jancruz said:

we always eat with the officers.

That doesn't sound like fun! 

Re Chico's I had to chuckle when I read this:

What age is Chico's clothing for?

Chico's is a store for older consumers, 40+ — and there is no mistaking the fact observing the customers and the merchandise.Jul 9, 2014
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, clo said:

Great! But you realise that it may not be relevant to other people. And especially I can’t see how that would answer OP question about the dress code.

Edited by osandomir
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

Hey; when you’re hot, you’re hot!

Meanwhile there’s the rest of us. 😇

I of course realize we have our hardy Scots here that wear their kilts ( without underwear of course) and tee shirts on their patios in January in the Highlands while downing a good local whiskey . Cold, who’s cold? 🤔

Meanwhile, some of the rest of us will wear a sports jacket to the Specialties. If it’s too warm therein, we can easily slip it off, if not I’m normally more comfortable with it on. 

My sports jacket folds easily into the suitcase. If people don’t want to wear one, that’s fine. My observations on most cruises is about 50% do. We prefer sharing tables and don’t care if our table mates are wearing jackets or not. We do what’s comfortable for us. Should those table mates feel uncomfortable if I choose to wear a sports jacket? Should the other lady feel uncomfortable if my wife slips on a sweater and she doesn’t wear and/or need one? 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, osandomir said:

Great! But you realise that it may not be relevant to other people. And especially I can’t see how that would answer OP question about the dress code.

She mentioned jacketS - plural. If it's just for fashion I'd take one. I also travel - land or sea - with two pairs of shoes. For specialty restaurants Bob wears a long sleeved 'dress shirt.' Not solid color, a check or stripe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Hey; when you’re hot, you’re hot!

Meanwhile there’s the rest of us. 😇

I of course realize we have our hardy Scots here that wear their kilts ( without underwear of course) and tee shirts on their patios in January in the Highlands while downing a good local whiskey . Cold, who’s cold? 🤔

Meanwhile, some of the rest of us will wear a sports jacket to the Specialties. If it’s too warm therein, we can easily slip it off, if not I’m normally more comfortable with it on. 

My sports jacket folds easily into the suitcase. If people don’t want to wear one, that’s fine. My observations on most cruises is about 50% do. We prefer sharing tables and don’t care if our table mates are wearing jackets or not. We do what’s comfortable for us. Should those table mates feel uncomfortable if I choose to wear a sports jacket? Should the other lady feel uncomfortable if my wife slips on a sweater and she doesn’t wear and/or need one? 

Just to give a perspective on my temp 🙂 I don't consistently stop wearing shorts - at home - until the weather is regularly under 50!!! 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Pinot go and wash your mouth out immediately before a Scotsman in a kilt comes for you with his Sgian-Dubh and haggis. 😂😂

Scots drink whisky it's the Irish that drink whiskey 😜😜

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Yes, you want to be careful around a haggis. Dangerous beast that'll have your arm off soon as look at you. It's not surprising that, at a Burns Night supper, the haggis is stabbed with a knife and cut open. Scots know that  you really do want to make sure it's dead and not going to attack your guests. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

It is important to have layers due to variable temperatures within the ship.  I take a couple of sweaters instead of a sports coat to save packing space.

• Like 1

Invest in roll up vacuum bags.  I’ve been using them for years, and you’ll be amazed how much you can get in a case without being overweight. 

We always pack half and half in each case, my idea of hell would be to arrive at the cruise with no luggage.  DH always takes a nice jacket to wear in the evenings.  I generally divide my clothes in to 2 colour ways, and add a pair of shoes for each, (one in each case). I wear Skecher type shoes during the day.  I don’t take jackets in the evening, I take a Pashmina or 2 as some restaurants can be quite cool.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tr1v1alCru1ser said:

Invest in roll up vacuum bags.  I’ve been using them for years, and you’ll be amazed how much you can get in a case without being overweight. 

Are you talking about compression bags? We've used one for my knee length, down, Northface jacket for really cold. It also worked great for dirty laundry. So are you saying that your clothes don't come out wrinkled? That's pretty amazing. Let me know please.

On 8/15/2024 at 7:45 PM, pinotlover said:

Since I've taken my Kilt on every cruise until now, I thought I should weigh in. My "formal wear" is not a tux, its my Prince Charlie Jacket, my kilt, and whichever of my sporrans I've packed (side note, leave the sgian dubh at home, lest you end up in the security "sin bin" - been there 😢)

Our upcoming cruise on Vista in November is to celebrate our 25th and although I endured the Cuban heat while kilted 25 years ago, I'm not taking it this time (it's a lot of kit and a lot of weight).  I will however be taking a dark suit and at least 3 sport coats along with a few pair of dress trousers/pants.

I'm not trying to impress anyone, except for my lovely wife.  She deserves my attention to looking my best and if pressed, dressing for dinner is just how I was brought up.

I'd love to see my shipmates follow suit (pun intended) but if we're seated next to a gentleman wearing chinos and a golf shirt, I won't be offended (I'm the one likely to start a conversation, truth be told).

Oh and @pinotlover, no offence on the spelling, I equally enjoy a dram or a whiskey.

One more thing since I've been asked several times, this icon pic is DaVinci outside of the Uffizi galleries in Florence (another cruise).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, clo said:

Are you talking about compression bags? We've used one for my knee length, down, Northface jacket for really cold. It also worked great for dirty laundry. So are you saying that your clothes don't come out wrinkled? That's pretty amazing. Let me know please.

Yes, those are the ones.  The trick is to fold your clothes carefully and slide them in to the bag, then run your hands over the item to smooth them out.  I never have wrinkled clothes when I get to my destination, just open the bag, hang them up then wear them.  Also, don’t over fill the bags.  I’ve been using them for probably 30 years or more without issue.  

27 minutes ago, Tr1v1alCru1ser said:

Yes, those are the ones.  The trick is to fold your clothes carefully and slide them in to the bag, then run your hands over the item to smooth them out.  I never have wrinkled clothes when I get to my destination, just open the bag, hang them up then wear them.  Also, don’t over fill the bags.  I’ve been using them for probably 30 years or more without issue.  

So you roll up the bags?

I think (s)he means the bags which can be attached to a home vacuum to remove air making a tight, flat, and compressed package. Clothing in such a package will not move or rub against others so the wrinkling is reduced. Fabric-on-fabric is the thing that causes wrinkling in packing clothing.

I cover my good clothing in launderer plastic bags to reduce such contact. Not as compact as the vacuum process.

15 hours ago, ScottieM said:

this icon pic is DaVinci outside of the Uffizi galleries in Florence (another cruise).

I'm sure I have a photo of that, circa 1965, when I went on a two week school trip to Italy. 

• Like 1