Haven Welcome Letter and other things

I know there is a thread somewhere buried in here but try as I might, I couldn't find it (and it might have outdated information too) so I will ask.
We are booked in the Haven on the Getaway - going out of NOLA 1/19.  This is a cruise we have been trying to do since prior to the dreaded pandemic. While we have cruise twice in the last several years, it wasn't in the Haven. This is going to be quite the treat from all that I have read.

So - as of today - we are 155 days out.  I know that I am likely jumping the gun - but do they send out a Welcome letter, with a listed of preferences to choose from? I vaguely remember something like this just before our cruise was cancelled in April 2020.  If so, when should we receive it?

I did receive a brief email from NCL reminding me that since we booked the Haven, we can make dining reservations 130 days out but that is all it talked about (got it in May - a little premature, I thought).   I wasn't even thinking about making dining reservations and let the plans fall where may when we are on the cruise, since we have the Haven restaurant.

Never had a butler before and probably won't utilize him/her much.  Looking for suggestions for what we should and/or need for special requests. 

I know there are a lot of experienced Haven travelers out there = I would love to get your feedback.   We have only cruised on the NCL Dawn in the past so this is a new ship for us too (hubby, adult daughter and I are staying in a family 2 bedroom)

Thanks for any help...

Butler - I've done three (at least?) sailings in suites with a butler. 

My friends had coffee delivered  to the room each morning.

On one sailing, I really liked O'Sheehan's carrot cake and twice had the butler deliver it to my cabin.

On another sailing, I requested a dozen assorted cookies to be delivered for us to enjoy as we played cards in our cabin.

14 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

Butler - I've done three (at least?) sailings in suites with a butler. 

My friends had coffee delivered  to the room each morning.

On one sailing, I really liked O'Sheehan's carrot cake and twice had the butler deliver it to my cabin.

On another sailing, I requested a dozen assorted cookies to be delivered for us to enjoy as we played cards in our cabin.

Thanks - we are big Iced tea fans - so a pitcher in the refrigerator (especially coming back from a shore excursion would be nice). Coffee in the AM is always nice but if there is an espresso machine - that is enough for me.  But I am always up for suggestions and ideas   

The butler will refill your ice for you several times a day, bring afternoon snacks, bring your room service and be you go to person for special requests. For example, we needed extra hangers for the closet. 

Many will greet you on the first day and ask what you need and/or like. We don’t like the little sandwiches they bring because they get soggy, but we like fruit. We never received sandwiches and we got extra fruit. He noticed how much our daughter liked the cookies and the next day brought extra. 

We’ve stayed in the Haven a couple of times and a non-Haven suite once. We got the letter for the deluxe owner’s suite asking for our preferences, but not for the 2 bedroom suite. We got luggage tags before the 2 BR but not the DOS. I think the letters in the mail are a little hit or miss. 

Our daughter is a teen and stayed in the room while we went to specialty dining, she didn’t want to go. She ordered room service and the butler was always happy to bring her whatever she ordered, either from the Haven restaurant, O’Sheehans, or the regular room service menu.

The butler can also bring food from specialty restaurants, but give them plenty of notice because it’s further for them to go and if they are getting lots of room service requests at mealtimes it can get busy for them. Also, don’t expect the food to stay hot because of the distance.

Our last butler was new and was very enthusiastic. The one before that was experienced and friendly, but didn’t go the extra mile. The butler we had in the non-Haven suite was absent until the last day when looking for his tip.  There are a wide range of butler styles. Be prepared for any of them. You may have to nudge some more than others. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tallulah20 said:

Our daughter is a teen and stayed in the room while we went to specialty dining, she didn’t want to go. She ordered room service and the butler was always happy to bring her whatever she ordered, either from the Haven restaurant, O’Sheehans, or the regular room service menu.

Thanks for the information.  That helps greatly.  Since we got specialty dining x 2 for 2 people - but not 3 (despite 3 people being in the room) - our daughter will likely either dine alone those 2 nights (so we can have a "date night" as she calls it) in either the Haven restaurant or the main dining room or buffet (she loves Indian food). 

As for butler attentiveness, we really don't need it much - we are quiet people. Don't need a lot of fuss. The Haven is a way to be more low key (less people, more relaxing). I am sure whoever the butler is - they will have an easy time with us. 

20 hours ago, krittykat said:

So - as of today - we are 155 days out.  I know that I am likely jumping the gun - but do they send out a Welcome letter, with a listed of preferences to choose from? I vaguely remember something like this just before our cruise was cancelled in April 2020.  If so, when should we receive it?

No need to wait on the 'welcome letter'.

NCL operates a shore based concierge service.  There contact information is below.

I suggest  you call them (they're wonderful people).

They can answer all your questions (it's their job).

And make some suggestions.

I've never had to wait more than three minutes.

855-625-4283

norwegianconciergedesk@ncl.com

All you need is  your booking number.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

No need to wait on the 'welcome letter'.

NCL operates a shore based concierge service.  There contact information is below.

I suggest  you call them (they're wonderful people).

They can answer all your questions (it's their job).

And make some suggestions.

I've never had to wait more than three minutes.

855-625-4283

norwegianconciergedesk@ncl.com

All you need is  your booking number.

Thanks for the info. I will give them a call. This whole experience is new and exciting for us. Just the aspect of a quieter sun deck makes me happy.

22 minutes ago, krittykat said:

Thanks for the info. I will give them a call. This whole experience is new and exciting for us. Just the aspect of a quieter sun deck makes me happy.

Glad to help.  Of course, YMMV, but I've always found them very helpful.  Be sure and ask if they have any suggestions.  I've found that 'letter' to be hit of miss.  Sometimes I get one, Sometimes I don't.  Even if I do get one, I always call.

We've cruised out of NOLA twice.  Here's a suggestion for you. 

Don't be in a big rush to get to the port.  Every one at NOLA has to go through the same security line.  On our first cruise from NOLA, we arrived around 0930.  We stood in the security line for about 90 minutes.  We didn't board until about 1130.  On our second NOLA cruise, we arrived at the port about 1130 and boarded at about 1200.  NOLA has a very small waiting area.  Once it is full, they stop the security line until boarding begins.  

You should go ahead and book your rooms while you have time to shop around.  Find a room you can afford and book it.  You can always cancel if you find something cheaper.

Here's website you might find interesting:

https://www.saintgregtravel.com/category/port-of-departure/new-orleans/

Greg posts often here on CC.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2024 at 2:44 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Glad to help.  Of course, YMMV, but I've always found them very helpful.  Be sure and ask if they have any suggestions.  I've found that 'letter' to be hit of miss.  Sometimes I get one, Sometimes I don't.  Even if I do get one, I always call.

We've cruised out of NOLA twice.  Here's a suggestion for you. 

Don't be in a big rush to get to the port.  Every one at NOLA has to go through the same security line.  On our first cruise from NOLA, we arrived around 0930.  We stood in the security line for about 90 minutes.  We didn't board until about 1130.  On our second NOLA cruise, we arrived at the port about 1130 and boarded at about 1200.  NOLA has a very small waiting area.  Once it is full, they stop the security line until boarding begins.  

You should go ahead and book your rooms while you have time to shop around.  Find a room you can afford and book it.  You can always cancel if you find something cheaper.

Here's website you might find interesting:

https://www.saintgregtravel.com/category/port-of-departure/new-orleans/

Greg posts often here on CC.

Thanks again.  And a great website. We are flying into NOLA the Thurs before (we are from the PNW). Staying in the French Quarter. Got to get our food on prior to sailing. We definitely will not rush to the port and shoot for 1130. 

Posted (edited)

You most likely received your Haven welcome letter a day or two after booking - its nothing fancy. [In fact, its prob that letter inviting you to book 130 days out!]  It welcomes you to the Haven and invites you to call to reserve things 130 days out . . . its mostly advertising to get you to spend more money. 

There is no list of preferences, no longer a pillow menu, its up to you to call to arrange what you want - no hand holding any longer.  All that died a quiet death in late 2022. 

If you want morning coffee, thats a key thing the butler can do. Be specific and direct.  Search Haven Butler for threads - or - easier - do a google search for it.  

Stayed in Haven on Bliss in June and have a 2 week panama canal transit booked for Feb on Joy - feel free to ask me any questions you might have 

Edited by erisajd