Cunard hair curlers, tongs, hot brushes?

Lozzzzz

Posted (edited)

Hi. I know we can't take on board hairdryers, and irons, but are we allowed to take electric

Hair Straighteners (tongs)?

A 800watt hot brush? (A hairdryer with a round rotating brush on the end)

Cunard Facebook lady said "I bring all my curlers and straighteners with me" 

But these seem contradictory..

Id like to look glossy, not like a bush, and boarding QV tomorrow, please advise!

Thank you 

Edited by Lozzzzz
Wrong wattage

7 minutes ago, Lozzzzz said:

Hi. I know we can't take on board hairdryers, and irons, but are we allowed to take electric

Hair Straighteners (tongs)?

A 400watt hot brush? (A hairdryer with a round rotating brush on the end)

Cunard Facebook lady said "I bring all my curlers and straighteners with me" 

But these seem contradictory..

Id like to look glossy, not like a bush, and boarding QV tomorrow, please advise!

Thank you 

Hair dryers, along with straighteners and curling tongs are allowed.

• Thanks 1

I may have imagined this but I thought that such items are only allowed if they have a thermal cutout (which I suspect most modern ones do have) for the obvious fire risk reasons - not sure if anybody ever checks though.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, david63 said:

I may have imagined this but I thought that such items are only allowed if they have a thermal cutout (which I suspect most modern ones do have) for the obvious fire risk reasons - not sure if anybody ever checks though.

Not an issue according to this web page

https://my.cunard.com/en-gb/mycruise/articles/warnings

• Thanks 1

I would think the concern is high wattage items. I spotted a 3,500 watt hair dryer on Amazon. That's probably a bit risky! 800 watts is unlikely to be an issue. A European 10 amp circuit should cope with 2,000 watts easily if nothing else is being run on that circuit at the time. Afraid I don't know what the ships circuits will be but would be surprised if less than that.

I have very little hair and it drys itself in minutes. My wife has strong hard short hair and the supplied dryer was fine for her. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, D&N said:

I would think the concern is high wattage items. I spotted a 3,500 watt hair dryer on Amazon. That's probably a bit risky! 800 watts is unlikely to be an issue. A European 10 amp circuit should cope with 2,000 watts easily if nothing else is being run on that circuit at the time. Afraid I don't know what the ships circuits will be but would be surprised if less than that.

I have very little hair and it drys itself in minutes. My wife has strong hard short hair and the supplied dryer was fine for her. 

I use the ever reliable balcony.

• Haha 2

So glad this question was asked!  I want to bring my flat iron/hair curling iron but wasn’t sure if it was allowed.  My hair tends to get frizzy if it dries naturally.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry - still confused. The link in #5 read you can take them.  But on the FAQ  section “ What can I not take aboard” on Cunard reads that you cannot take them on board.  Which one do I take as gospel.  Or should I print the one that reads I can take my hair dryer and hope for the best.

45 minutes ago, Picklesmini said:

Sorry - still confused. The link in #5 read you can take them.  But on the FAQ  section “ What can I not take aboard” on Cunard reads that you cannot take them on board.  Which one do I take as gospel.  Or should I print the one that reads I can take my hair dryer and hope for the best.

Ignore conflicting info on the Cunard web pages.. Hair dryers are allowed and I always take my GHDs.