Wine Package Discount

As a five star mariner we are entitled to a 50% discount on a wine package.  It is not clear how they calculate the additional 18% gratuity.  Is it added to the discounted price or the original price?  For example, if the package is $341., 18% is an additional $61.38.  But if I am charged $170.50 for the package, do they add on 18% of $341 or 18% of $170.50?  I have heard of it being done both ways.

Ray

Posted (edited)

the gratuity is supposed to be calculated on the full price of the package, however, like other things, it may vary ship to ship

Edited by richwmn
  • Thanks 1

Have used the discount multiple times and the gratuity has always been on full price. I do the math on my cruises and then decide if I want to go with Have it All or the wine packages.

When HIA has both drinks and crew appreciation I go that way otherwise I buy a wine package. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dutchman48 said:

Have used the discount multiple times and the gratuity has always been on full price. I do the math on my cruises and then decide if I want to go with Have it All or the wine packages.

When HIA has both drinks and crew appreciation I go that way otherwise I buy a wine package. 

Same here - and also my wine package 18% gratuity has always been based on the full price.  I wouldn't expect to "stiff" the beverage staff by being charged 50% of the gratuity, and the packages are an excellent value for high star mariners!

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 2

Well, I would like to see it in writing on something from HAL other than "You get a 50% discount!".  Not sure who is getting "stiffed" when I am paying a 36% gratuity.  We pay a 9% sales tax here.  If a store reduces a price by 50% should I pay an 18% sales tax?

Ray

The gratuity goes to the servers who handle your wine doesn’t it? I haven’t purchased this so I’m not sure, but I would compare it to a gratuity in a restaurant if for some reason you’re given a discount on your meal. The correct thing is to tip on the cost if there wasn’t a discount, so I think that’s the logic here.

Mariners also get discounts on coffee drinks at Exporations, but I haven’t noticed if the gratuity is on the full cost or not. Does anyone know?

• Like 1

@USN59-79: Your sales tax analogy is not a good one. Sales taxes are a cut-and-dried percentage of the actual selling price of a product, period. If a product is 50% off, the sales tax is 50% of what it otherwise would have been. But HAL is not just selling you a half-dozen wine bottles, the way a wine store would. It's also selling you everything that goes with the wine bottles---the labor required to bring the bottles to your table, to refill the glasses, to store the bottle if you don't finish it, etc.

@sunviking90 's analogy to restaurants is a better one. If I go to a restaurant with, say, a 50% off Happy Hour deal on appetizers (which Applebee's, for example, often does), I'll pay a sales tax on the discounted cost of the appetizers I order, but I would base my tip on the full (non-discounted) price of those appetizers. And I think most people would. The only difference between a restaurant and the HAL wine package is that tipping in the restaurant is a discretionary matter, whereas on HAL it's mandatory.

I'm four-star with HAL, so I get the 50% wine package discount. I think it's a great deal even though I pay the gratuity on the "full" price.

Jim

Thanks for your replies.  The purpose of my question was to understand what I can expect to pay for a wine package as a 5-star Mariner as HAL is not transparent as to what they will charge.  The last time I bought one I ordered it before I boarded the ship and was charged full price even though they knew my mariner status.  I asked for, but was never refunded the difference.  I learned from CC that I need to order it once on board to get the mariner discount.

Ray