Iona v Britannia - big pros and cons.. which one wins?

amurray88

Just now, amurray88 said:

Thank you! 

Would you recommend still doing the "Fjords" or are we better placed heading elsewhere? I think they've just become more fashionable over the last few years and we've not done them before.

Thanks!

I should have said... this summer we done North France/North Spain and I wouldn't call it a mistake but it's certainly ticked off the list now. I'd be disappointed if this wasn't better than those for scenary/ports.

1 hour ago, Funboy said:

We would go again as well if Geiranger, Flam and Bergen were included but unfortunately Iona offers non of these. We sailed twice this year to Norway on Iona but the second one was mainly just a cruise. Be careful on the published itinery as Iona only visits Haugesund, Stavanger, Alesund and Olden. The rest shown are just cruise-bys. These cruises have become boring for us but that is only a personal opinion having been so many times to the same area.

Iona goes to Flam as I’m going next year! 

I think our mind has been made up... The way Iona prices babies is different from Britannia so on the face of it the PP price was more or less the same...but the final price was vastly different (£500).

As long as folks say it's worth going to the itinerary Britannia is offering instead of a week in Tenerife then I'm happy to go ahead with that 🤣

5 hours ago, amurray88 said:

I think our mind has been made up... The way Iona prices babies is different from Britannia so on the face of it the PP price was more or less the same...but the final price was vastly different (£500).

As long as folks say it's worth going to the itinerary Britannia is offering instead of a week in Tenerife then I'm happy to go ahead with that 🤣

I would do the cruise to a scenic location now.  As your baby (and possibly more family) grow, the kids will not be happy unless you take them somewhere warm, where they can play and run around more easily.  I reckon one young child would be fine in Norway.  Do bear in mind though that while the weather could be glorious, (and usually has been for us) you can have rain as well, so go prepared, both with suitable clothing and a flexible approach to your days.  Do not foget the shorts either - you may need them.  You are presumably British, so should not be a problem at all no matter what the weather and there will be plenty to do on a ship, or even in small towns, so not like sitting in a hotel room just looking at the rain.  Explore the ports online to locate museums or other things of interest, before you go.  Enjoy. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, amurray88 said:

Thank you! 

Would you recommend still doing the "Fjords" or are we better placed heading elsewhere? I think they've just become more fashionable over the last few years and we've not done them before.

Thanks!

If you have not been before then I would say go as it is always an experience visiting another country. My views are only  personal ones and others may have different ones.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Funboy said:

If you have not been before then I would say go as it is always an experience visiting another country. My views are only  personal ones and others may have different ones.

Next June we join Britannia for our third Fjords cruise. There are a range of things to do.